Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-11-2010, 03:15 PM   #1
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Stupid iTunes question. Help, please.

I have thousands of songs on my iPod that I want to copy to my iPad. None of the songs on my iPod are on iTunes, because I bought them on CD and didn't put them on iTunes. (I've never bought music in MP3 form, preferring physical copies.) What would be the easiest way to add these songs to my iPad? I've avoided using iTunes as much as possible; every time I try to use it, I run into problems. I am a tech 'tard. I don't want to accidentally nuke everything off my iPod while I'm attempting this.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 03:20 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Do you have the songs on your computer? if so, just darg/drop them onto the iPad via iTunes.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2010, 03:40 PM   #3
steph_g
Book Lover
steph_g doesn't littersteph_g doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone 3GS
If you don't have them on your computer, you can use Senuti to get them off your iPod and onto your computer. If they are on your computer, but not in iTunes, I believe you will have to import them into iTunes and then transfer them to the iPad.
steph_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 03:40 PM   #4
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Do you have the songs on your computer? if so, just darg/drop them onto the iPad via iTunes.
Problem is I switched computers over the years and some are on this computer, some on that, and so on. (Between my husband and me, we have a bunch of computers, older and newer.) The only place where all my music is consolidated is on my iPod (or on the actual CDs). Yes, stupid of me not to have been better organized. I want to try to get everything in order now, without unnecessary steps and messing up. I'm also not sure whether format differences will create problems. I dunno what kinda format all the songs are on, on various computers.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:47 PM   #5
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
you don't mention what platform you're on (windows, mac, linux) but there are tons of free and paid apps that will let you copy your music off. just use google and you should get quite a few links..
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2010, 03:49 PM   #6
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
you don't mention what platform you're on (windows, mac, linux) but there are tons of free and paid apps that will let you copy your music off. just use google and you should get quite a few links..
All our computers are on Windows. Is there an app you recommend, free or paid? I don't mind paying if it'll help me avoid a mess.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:52 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

http://www.dkszone.net/copy-songs-ip...er-ipod-rescue

http://www.download3000.com/download_26608.html

I hope one of them should work.

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-11-2010 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:55 PM   #8
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Use EAC to rip the CDs again.
I'll do this as a last resort. I have 400 CDs in my disc changer and maybe a hundred more about house and car. Ugh.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:57 PM   #9
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/art...d-to-computer/

I've used Senuti on the Mac side..Sharepod sounds pretty similar for Windows.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 04:03 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
I'll do this as a last resort. I have 400 CDs in my disc changer and maybe a hundred more about house and car. Ugh.
Read my post again. I've edited it and you've obviously missed my edits.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:21 PM   #11
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Thanks, everyone. I will try, based on your suggestions.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:23 PM   #12
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
I've never used iTunes to manage my music on my iPod. I've used various programs over the years but recently, I use Sharepod. Very easy to use. Can copy music back and forth and keep your file structure.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:51 PM   #13
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
sorry. i don't know any on the windows side of the house, i've only extracted a few tunes off my ipod long ago. i've gotten into the habit of whenever i buy a new cd or dvd i rip it using lame or handbrake, throw it on my media server (currently an excellent Drobo FS) and forget about it. every other system in my house can access it from there. cd's and dvd's end up in boxes in the basement. one day i'll have a large housecleaning.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:35 AM   #14
harakiri
Groupie
harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Install iTunes on all your computers.
Then import all the MP3 on each iTunes.
Then attach your iPad to each computer. Make sure that in iTunes you choose to manually manage content on your iPad.
Then transfer all the songs to your iPad ...

other (much better solution): network your computers. copy all MP3 to the one with the biggest drive. Install iTunes there ....

third solution (in case you have no network): Use a big USB harddrive.

The latter two solutions are probably what you should do as you will also organize your collection that way.
harakiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:37 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
sorry. i don't know any on the windows side of the house, i've only extracted a few tunes off my ipod long ago. i've gotten into the habit of whenever i buy a new cd or dvd i rip it using lame or handbrake, throw it on my media server (currently an excellent Drobo FS) and forget about it. every other system in my house can access it from there. cd's and dvd's end up in boxes in the basement. one day i'll have a large housecleaning.
I do the same. I have a Buffalo NAS box which all the other computers in the house can see. Much easier if everything's in the one place.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote