Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 08-15-2006, 05:17 PM   #31
harryo
Enthusiast
harryo began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Tungsten TX / Iliad
HTML Paging

Just so people don't think I'm dim ... well, any dimmer than I really am ...

I didn't create the HTML document I'm trying to read. It's a very large HTML-ified reference book that has hundreds of pages, with many links and a lot of long pages.

I could probably write a script to run through all the HTML files, splitting them up, and updating the hyperlinks appropriately, but I have a feeling I'd waste a looooot of time getting it right.

Oh well, I might give it a go, anyway, since this would be a useful generic tool for preprocessing existing HTML documents for the Iliad.

It would just be nice if the iRex team could get it happening automatically somehow. Then again, perhaps preprocessing s the right way to do it, rather than doing the processing on a device with a small CPU.
harryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 05:29 PM   #32
harryo
Enthusiast
harryo began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Tungsten TX / Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ath
The right thing here is for the PDF document to include bookmarks, and for the PDF reader to display those bookmarks.
Absolutely. All my reference books include bookmarks.

However, that's still not guaranteed to be a nice UI when there are hundreds of them. Since there's no way to split the screen vertically and allow scrolling of the list of bookmarks, I have a feeling it still wouldn't work very well.

Perhaps the manifest is the solution again here. If I could define a small number of useful bookmarks in there, it would work well. I'd just stick in one for the first contents page and the first index page ... plus any specific pages I find myself jumping to all the time.

Even nicer would be if there was a way to add a bookmark via the GUI, so I don't need to edit the manifest by hand. Ie, a button in the toolbar that means "Put a bookmark here".

However, that's just a nicety. I'd be happy enough just to have a way to do it at all.

By the way, I do realise my needs may be a bit different to most other people's

I just think adding facilities to easily jump around documents means the difference between the Iliad being an incredibly useful reference tool and just a novel reader ... which in itself is still fantastic.
harryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2006, 07:10 PM   #33
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
There is a dev. job at iRex? Cool...maybe somebody from this board will apply...^^
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 07:45 PM   #34
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Card strangeness

After putting the 2.6 upgrade on, the device no longer recognized my SD card that I'd been using under 2.5.

Now it's done this before, and a reboot later, it's working again.

So, for fun, I popped out the SD card and popped in the CF card (that had problems under 2.5). Now, the CF card works fine, but the SD card is no longer recognized when I re-insert it.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 08:51 PM   #35
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
I grabbed mine this morning (8am PDT) using a fractional DS3 (can turn out 500,000 bytes per second) and had no problems via Wired Connection. The update and grab of the new reference materials worked first time, smooth as silk.

Did you by any chance use wireless?
I used wireless. It downloaded, went to 100%, then started to download a second time for some reason. At 100% on the second download, the install/update started and there didn't seem to be any other problem. Haven't done any testing since the download, though. The only thing that I spotted in a quick check was that I lost a bookmark on a book I was reading.
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2006, 04:29 AM   #36
emkay
Zealot
emkay began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_k
Read the iRex document about creating content.
A container is simply a folder with a special "manifest.xml". This controls the page-bar and it stores the path of the last read file there. They recommend to split big documents into different HTML files and setup a "manifest.xml".
Oops. RTFM in other words.
emkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 12:50 PM   #37
Pitchfork
Connoisseur
Pitchfork began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad/Ipaq 6340
Has any one else noticed that the Iliad no longer clears the screen when it runs out of battery in version 2.6? I quite liked the way it was in 2.5 as it was less confusing.
Pitchfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 02:12 PM   #38
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchfork
Has any one else noticed that the Iliad no longer clears the screen when it runs out of battery in version 2.6? I quite liked the way it was in 2.5 as it was less confusing.
Yup. Actually I like this. It's very appearant that the battery is dead.

BTW: 6am battery fully charged (LED off). 7am powered onon. 2pm battery died. 7 hours of on time - only about 3 actually being used. A bit short of the 10 hours promised - but still better than what it was under 2.5.
Old 08-16-2006, 04:14 PM   #39
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon
After putting the 2.6 upgrade on, the device no longer recognized my SD card that I'd been using under 2.5.

Now it's done this before, and a reboot later, it's working again.

So, for fun, I popped out the SD card and popped in the CF card (that had problems under 2.5). Now, the CF card works fine, but the SD card is no longer recognized when I re-insert it.
The SD Card logo has now been changed to a MMC card one... i think they might be dropping support for SD cards...
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 04:24 PM   #40
vvoi666
Zealot
vvoi666 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jęd
The SD Card logo has now been changed to a MMC card one... i think they might be dropping support for SD cards...
they never had real sd card support. it's just that most sd cards are mmc compatible.
vvoi666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 03:17 PM   #41
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Are you guys getting the ten hours battery life as advertised?
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 03:32 PM   #42
b_k
Übernerd
b_k is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad
has anyone tried to create large HTML-packages? I have a rather big comic, with over 600 pages, packed into HTML and setup with a manifest.xml.

Now as soon as i click on the page bar, the viewer goes ka-boom and closes. I think I am letting something overflow there.

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<package>
  <metadata>
    <dc-metadata>
      <Title>Questionable Content</Title>
      <Description>www.questionablecontent.net, complete archive</Description>
      <Date>2006-08-15T20:00:00</Date>
      <Format>text/x-ereader-document</Format>
      <Language>en/us</Language>
      <Type>comic</Type>
    </dc-metadata>
    <y-metadata>
      <FileSize>000</FileSize>
      <ItemSize>000</ItemSize>
      <startpage>001.html</startpage>
      <image></image>
      <version>000</version>
    </y-metadata>
  </metadata>
  <index>
    <pagelist type="irfanview" count="689">
      <page number="001" url="001.html" />
      <page number="002" url="002.html" />
      <page number="003" url="003.html" />
      <page number="004" url="004.html" />
      <page number="005" url="005.html" />
      <page number="006" url="006.html" />
      <page number="007" url="007.html" />
      <page number="008" url="008.html" />
      <page number="009" url="009.html" />
      <page number="010" url="010.html" />
      <page number="011" url="011.html" />
      <page number="012" url="012.html" />
      <page number="689" url="689.html" />
    </pagelist>
  </index>
</package>
b_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 05:35 PM   #43
rlauzon
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW
Nope. I'm getting about 7 hours. Still, it's up from the 4 hours that I was getting in the 2.5 version.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:45 PM   #44
ali
Addict
ali doesn't litterali doesn't litter

Device: Iliad, dude!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW
Nope. I'm trying to provoke a statement from iRex by being rude. It makes me sick how they exaggerate numbers, don't tell the truth and ignore user requests.
ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 06:49 PM   #45
rlauzon
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_k
has anyone tried to create large HTML-packages? I have a rather big comic, with over 600 pages, packed into HTML and setup with a manifest.xml.

Now as soon as i click on the page bar, the viewer goes ka-boom and closes. I think I am letting something overflow there.
No overflow for me.

Code:
<pagelist type="layout" count="676">
<page number="1" url="0743.html" />
<page number="2" url="0744.html" />
<page number="3" url="0745.html" />
<page number="4" url="0746.html" />
<page number="5" url="0747.html" />
<page number="6" url="0748.html" />
<page number="7" url="0749.html" />
<page number="8" url="0750.html" />
<page number="9" url="0751.html" />
<page number="10" url="0752.html" />
<page number="11" url="0753.html" />
Granted things worked kind of slow, but everything did work.