Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-29-2009, 06:42 AM   #1
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nokia 770 (fbreader)
ebook-viewer alone?

Any way to get ebook-viewer alone?

I've got a Smart Q7, and FBReader just isn't cutting it. ebook-viewer is the first software reader that actually views epubs and observes the css rules.

An entire Calibre install seems too much for the Q7 -- it's a full linux system, but it isn't so snappy, has limited storage, etc. But ebook-viewer alone would just rock it out.

I assume it's going to demand QT libraries, but maybe there's a way to keep the install pretty light?

Thanks,

m a r
rogue_ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:27 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
It occurs to me that it might be worth looking at Sigil for this purpose. Sigil is primarily designed to be an ePUB editor - but there is not reason you could not use it as a reader.

I have only tried it on Windows but it is designed to be cross-platform and seems to require a lot less in terms of dependencies than Calibre needs.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2009, 11:41 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Actually apart from Qt and PyQt and python 2.6, the rest of calibre's dependencies are pretty standard and should already be present on the Nokia.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 04:55 PM   #4
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

So, no way to separate out the viewer?

Thanks,

m a r
Old 09-29-2009, 05:07 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, not really, the viewer relies on all the conversion/metadata code in calibre.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2009, 06:05 PM   #6
rogue_ronin
Banned

Too bad, from Calibre to ebook-viewer would be a great path on my device.

I'll try the full install, but I expect it will choke (128MB memory.) Heck, maybe the viewer alone will choke it.

Thanks for all the hard work,

m a r

ps: Nokia makes the 770, N800, 810, etc. This one (and the Q5) is made by Smart. Mer can be used on both, but the stock OS is a straight ARM Ubuntu.

Last edited by rogue_ronin; 09-29-2009 at 06:07 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:30 PM   #7
tgeek
tgeek began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia n800, Jetbook
I'm using a Nokia N800 and I'd like to see the calibre reader ported over there as well. It would have to be recompiled for the new architecture of course, but I think a lot of the stuff like the organizer's gui elements could probably be omitted and only the libraries required by the reader and the reader itself could be retained when the software is recompiled. The caliber reader really is top notch and kudos to Kovid et al. for the hard work. It is lightyears beyond fbreader. I'd like to see the entire project on other platforms other than intel x86/64-bit but especially the reader which would be great on mobile devices.
tgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:31 AM   #8
rogue_ronin
Banned

It'd probably require a non-Kovid programmer. Even just the ePub reader would be awesome. There are no decent ePub readers on Linux.

m a r

Tags
ebook-viewer, smart q7