Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 09-16-2008, 04:26 AM   #1
anahid
Connoisseur
anahid began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook gen3 + Kindle 3
p-books

I've had the cybook for only six weeks, but yesterday I had to start a paperbook (studies), just a normal size 300 pages book. I've read books for decades, hundreds and hundreds of them, without any problem, but somehow now I find it really awkward, uncomfortable, looking for the button to pass pages, struggling with the pages to maintain them in place nice and flat... having to look up where I left the reading four or five times... and the size...

anahid
anahid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 04:29 AM   #2
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by anahid View Post
I've had the cybook for only six weeks, but yesterday I had to start a paperbook (studies), just a normal size 300 pages book. I've read books for decades, hundreds and hundreds of them, without any problem, but somehow now I find it really awkward, uncomfortable, looking for the button to pass pages, struggling with the pages to maintain them in place nice and flat... having to look up where I left the reading four or five times... and the size...

anahid
I know exactly what you mean.... It's a pain to have to use a dead-tree book when I want to read in bed. My BeBook is so much handier. Even when I'm parked in my favourite reading chair, right next to the fireplace, with a glass of whiskey on the sideboard, I prefer using the BeBook, just because it is so much lighter and easier to hold than a "normal" book.

Oh dear, now I wanna go home from work, light a fire, pour a glass of scotch and snuggle up in the chair....
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2008, 01:37 PM   #3
Loopy65
Groupie
Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3; iPad & iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by anahid View Post

anahid
lol .. you summed it all up so well here! .. at the start (for about 30 minutes!) I wondered if I'd be able to get used to using a Cybook .. now, I know that I can't tolerate the 'real' thing at all! .. I cleared out my paper books and decided that if there were any I really really wanted to read I'd get the electronic version! Of course I only read 'novels' so I have unlimited choice .. if I had to read 'proper' books for work or study that would be hard as they're not quite so readily available ..

Loopy
Loopy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 01:43 PM   #4
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Soon, well I've been saying soon for several months now, I plan on cutting apart any p-books that I want to keep and magically transforming them. Slayda helped me figure out how to cut them into pieces and slice off the page headers and footers, and then OCR them and reformat them nicely. I figure on keeping them in PDF and MS Word formats until the next great thing comes along.

I simply can't stand to read even a paper magazine anymore. They are heavy, clumsy, etc. This sweet little EB1150 has truly brought sunshine into my life.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 07:15 AM   #5
Kaero
Kaero began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Soon, well I've been saying soon for several months now, I plan on cutting apart any p-books that I want to keep and magically transforming them. Slayda helped me figure out how to cut them into pieces and slice off the page headers and footers, and then OCR them and reformat them nicely. I figure on keeping them in PDF and MS Word formats until the next great thing comes along.

I simply can't stand to read even a paper magazine anymore. They are heavy, clumsy, etc. This sweet little EB1150 has truly brought sunshine into my life.
I would like to recommend not to use .pdf or .doc formats. It is evil . Pdf is hard to transform to other size of paper, or with other words, pdf is tightly connected to its paper size: a pdf file created as A4 paper is hard to read on any smaller screen and respectively. It is not just the problem of the software, it is the problem of the format.

And MS Word format? First, not everyone have ms office, not every book reader can read this closed proprietary format, and secondly, it was designed to create documents, not to share them. Last, but not least, did you tried to open older .doc documents in newer version of Word? And do you know that MS will switch to totaly new format, totaly different from todays .doc?

I would recomend simple txt (preferably with UTF8 encoding). In the case you need more, such as emphasis, chapters etc. you can use html - almost everything can now read hypertext markup language (even cell phones!). Also ebooks formats, such as pdb and mobi files are sufficient. maybe .epub format sounds good. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epub#IDPF

You invested much time in scaning and formating, so you shouldn't spoil your work by choosing stupid format.
Kaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2008, 02:14 AM   #6
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
Hasn't happened with the ereader yet but I get annoyed when listening to the radio or a regular TV and I can't pause or rewind it
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 02:15 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaero View Post
Last, but not least, did you tried to open older .doc documents in newer version of Word?
Yes, I do so on a regular basis with no problems whatsoever. The latest version of Word (Word 2007) opens documents created at least as far back as Word 6 with no problems whatsoever. What difficulties have you encountered?

Word format is certainly proprietary, but, should you be one of the few people not to have Microsoft Office, there are free programs such as Open Office which can handle the format.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 02:52 PM   #8
Kaero

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, I do so on a regular basis with no problems whatsoever. The latest version of Word (Word 2007) opens documents created at least as far back as Word 6 with no problems whatsoever. What difficulties have you encountered?

Word format is certainly proprietary, but, should you be one of the few people not to have Microsoft Office, there are free programs such as Open Office which can handle the format.
Unfortunately, I encounter problems with older formats every day at work. I have got Word 2007, my collegue have got 2003 and others some other versions I do not remember. Word usually opens older file correctly, but during editation, the software behaved weirdly - changes format of some text I didn't want to and mostly the best practice is to "copy& paste as a nonformatted text" and create formating totally from the beginning (I could say I am advanced pc user, without boast).

Anyway, older/newer versions was only one of problems using such file format: Not many of ereaders can read .doc. It is not any ISO standart. Microsoft will abandon the .doc completely in next version. The format is bloated.
Anyway, I am free to discusion. Tell me any solid reason why to use it as output format.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:02 AM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
To exchange documents between versions you can save as Word 97. This format is pretty much interchangeable everywhere Windows Word is in use. The main reason to save it word is that if you don't all your edits are lost . More seriously there are lots of reasons to use it as an output format since it preserves some formatting which is better than text and many eBook creation programs will accept it as input. It is bloated and has all the other bad features you mentioned but it is also the prevalent format in use in most businesses.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:31 PM   #10
Kaero

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
To exchange documents between versions you can save as Word 97. This format is pretty much interchangeable everywhere Windows Word is in use. The main reason to save it word is that if you don't all your edits are lost . More seriously there are lots of reasons to use it as an output format since it preserves some formatting which is better than text and many eBook creation programs will accept it as input. It is bloated and has all the other bad features you mentioned but it is also the prevalent format in use in most businesses.
It is funny - MS is producing new and new features to new versions of Office, although many peoples recomends me to save documents in older versions to preserve compatibility. Really funny
Doc is readable on almost every PC, but pdb is readable in almost every reading software...
Html also preserves some formatting, and many programs will accept it as input.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:13 PM   #11
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
I'd rather recommend rtf, if it's without graphics. Reliable, keeps all the formatting, readable by almost every Office suite. And, best, you can easily convert it with Arachnophilia (use Version 4.0!) into clean html.
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote