Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-17-2013, 08:37 AM   #1
sancher
sancher can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.sancher can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.sancher can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.sancher can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.sancher can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.sancher can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.sancher can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.sancher can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.sancher can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.sancher can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.sancher can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kindle DXG
Kindle DXG update failed

Hi all

I bought used Kindle DXG with 2.5.5 firmware
Tried to update to 2.5.8 but update is failed.
There are launchpad, FBReader on it so I think
that there is some jailbreak that prevents successful update
I've tried many uninstallers I could find: update_jailbreak_0.4_dxg_uninstall.bin, update_jailbreak_0.6.N_dxg_uninstall.bin, update_jailbreak_0.10.N_dxg_uninstall.bin
Reset to Factory Defaults.
All in vain. error U007

I have the same Kindle DXG with 2.5.8 firmaware

Is there any way to update first Kindle using firmware from the second one?

I will appreciate any help
sancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:50 AM   #2
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Search for Yifanlu's threads about updating the KDX to 3.x firmware. There, Yifanlu also published notes and stuff about a rescue system for the KDX. You can use this plus the migration software (to 3.x firmware) on the KDX in order to backup one KDX, migrate the backup files to the other and recover from the backup files. Be careful, read enough to understand what you're doing.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2013, 09:17 AM   #3
sancher
sancher can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.sancher can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.sancher can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.sancher can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.sancher can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.sancher can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.sancher can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.sancher can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.sancher can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.sancher can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.sancher can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
Search for Yifanlu's threads about updating the KDX to 3.x firmware. There, Yifanlu also published notes and stuff about a rescue system for the KDX. You can use this plus the migration software (to 3.x firmware) on the KDX in order to backup one KDX, migrate the backup files to the other and recover from the backup files. Be careful, read enough to understand what you're doing.
Thank you for your answer.
I've downloaded Yifanlu's kindleupdater and executed
update_dxg-2.5.8-prepare_kindle.bin on my 2.5.8 Kindle.
But I'm not sure that I can restore update_restore-os.bin
on the second Kindle with 2.5.5
Is it enough to restore update_restore-os.bin through recovery mode ?
Do I need rootfs.img ?
Thanks.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:35 AM   #4
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
I think so (i.e. you need it, too). Never did this myself, I merely was able to give you this pointer.... I think the update_restore-os.bin should run on the jailbroken Kindle as a normal update, so probably, you don't need a recovery mode. I can't give any guarantees, though...
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:00 AM   #5
sancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
I think so (i.e. you need it, too). Never did this myself, I merely was able to give you this pointer.... I think the update_restore-os.bin should run on the jailbroken Kindle as a normal update, so probably, you don't need a recovery mode. I can't give any guarantees, though...
I'm afraid to experiment cause I have no experience with low level recovery (using COM-ports and etc.)

Has anyone tried to execute update_restore-os.bin from one Kindle DX model at another?
Advert
Old 03-19-2013, 02:29 PM   #6
sancher

I found appropriate jailbreak: 255-jailbreak.zip
After uninstalling I successfully updated to 25.8
Old 03-19-2013, 02:37 PM   #7
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Hurray!!
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote