Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-29-2011, 05:41 PM   #1
Nicko
Groupie
Nicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Paperwhite3
Using MicroSD card with T1

I am about to buy a Card for my T1. Do I need a MicroSD or SDHC, or doesn't it matter which type I get.
Also do I need to format the Card before use?.
Not sure what to use it for at this stage, but thought I had better make sure it works in the T1.
Would be interested to know what others use the Card for. I can never imagine having to use it for additional books?.
Nicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:22 PM   #2
requiem_mortis
requiem_mortis began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
You need a Micro.... refers to the physical size of the card.

SD and SDHC refer to the capacity , Secure Digital for capicity 2Gb or less and Secure Digital High Capacity is used for cards with capacity between 4 & 32Gb.

You can use any capacity SD or SDHC in the Sony PRS-T1

I have a 16 Gb MicroSDHC Class 4.... £12 from 7dayshop

Class refers to the speed at which you can write to the card the higher the No. the faster you can write to it although this is also dependent on the device doing the writing !

The device can format your card for you, which personally I would recommend as then you can be certain it's formatted correctly for your device.
requiem_mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2011, 06:26 PM   #3
luvduchovny
Zealot
luvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500, PRS-600, PRS-650, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
(You don't have to format it, but better safe than sorry). Notes taken from the manual:

Notes on microSD Cards

SD cards are made to standards and are commonly used as storage media for portable devices. microSD and microSDHC cards are members of the SD card family.
The Reader supports the following card types.

microSD and microSDHC cards

Up to 32 GB

microSD cards of up to 32 GB has been tested to work with the Reader; however, not all microSD cards are guaranteed to work.
Precautions

Insert into the correct slot with the card’s label side up until it clicks into place.

To avoid a choking hazard, keep the microSD card out of the reach of children.

Do not touch the gold contact point of the microSD card.

Do not disassemble or modify a memory card.

Do not allow a memory card to get wet.

Avoid the following to prevent data damage. Sony does not provide any guarantee for damaged data.

− Remove a memory card or turn off the Reader while reading or writing data.
− Operate the Reader in the location where static charge or electrical noise is present.

Do not strike, bend, drop, disassemble, open, crush, deform, puncture, shred, microwave, incinerate or paint the microSD card.

Do not use force, a thin stick or tweezers to remove the microSD card. If you cannot remove the microSD card, contact customer support.

Do not remove the microSD card or turn off the Reader while data on the memory card is being edited or accessed. Otherwise, edited data will not be saved.

Do not insert a deformed microSD card into the Reader.

If you change or erase a folder name via computer, or move a file to a folder other than “database”, there is a possibility that data recorded in a memory card might be lost or become unreadable by this product.

Formatting a microSD card
You can use the Reader to format a microSD card if necessary.
WARNING
Formatting the microSD card will delete all files stored on it. You can use the Reader software to backup files. Files that you have set protection for via the Reader’s applications will also be deleted.

Press the (Home) button tap [Settings] [Initialization] [Format Memory] [SD Card].

Tap [Yes] when prompted.

To cancel, tap [No].
It may take a few minutes to finish formatting the microSD card.
luvduchovny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:40 PM   #4
Nicko
Groupie
Nicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by requiem_mortis View Post
You need a Micro.... refers to the physical size of the card.

SD and SDHC refer to the capacity , Secure Digital for capicity 2Gb or less and Secure Digital High Capacity is used for cards with capacity between 4 & 32Gb.

You can use any capacity SD or SDHC in the Sony PRS-T1

I have a 16 Gb MicroSDHC Class 4.... £12 from 7dayshop

Class refers to the speed at which you can write to the card the higher the No. the faster you can write to it although this is also dependent on the device doing the writing !

The device can format your card for you, which personally I would recommend as then you can be certain it's formatted correctly for your device.
Thanks. That is the information I needed. Do some people need to use this to load more books?. I can't see myself ever needing to add to the 1200 book capicity?.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:46 AM   #5
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I keep books themselves on my 650, and use a 1Gb storage card for audio files.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2011, 01:51 AM   #6
Nicko
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
I keep books themselves on my 650, and use a 1Gb storage card for audio files.
Thanks for your comments. Appeciated.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:20 AM   #7
requiem_mortis
requiem_mortis began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
How long is a piece of string ?

Storage is good...the more the better as mentioned you can store audio (music), more books , notes and pictures.

I usually buy the highest capacity card I can afford at the time it's amazing how soon they get filled up. N.B. not all SD cards are created equal I would suggest buying a known brand (Kingston / SanDisk / Toshiba / Fuji etc) they are a bit more expensive but you tend to get a lifetime replacement gauarantee (they will replace the card not the lost data on it !).
requiem_mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:34 AM   #8
Nicko
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by requiem_mortis View Post
How long is a piece of string ?
Fair comment!!
But your tips on what to buy are very helpful.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:44 AM   #9
luvduchovny
Zealot
luvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500, PRS-600, PRS-650, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko View Post
Thanks. That is the information I needed. Do some people need to use this to load more books?. I can't see myself ever needing to add to the 1200 book capicity?.
Well I use my sd card to load my smuttier books, when I need to demo the reader to folks who probably don't need to know I read weird stuff, I pull the card out and they see the pristine reader with nice books. But you could also load pictures or music on the sd card if you desire.
luvduchovny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:30 PM   #10
Nicko
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvduchovny View Post
Well I use my sd card to load my smuttier books, when I need to demo the reader to folks who probably don't need to know I read weird stuff, I pull the card out and they see the pristine reader with nice books. But you could also load pictures or music on the sd card if you desire.
I like it!!
Old 01-13-2012, 05:27 AM   #11
oliwek
oliwek began at the beginning.

Device: Asus TF101, Nexus S, PRS-T1, eee-pc 701, IBM X41 (ubuntu)
class4 or class10 for EPUB collection of files

Sorry if I dig up an old thread, but I wanted to comment the info given here... The class of these flash cards is the minimum constant write speed for sequential writes (big files). However, if you read speed tests of class 10 cards, you'll see that the cards are the speediest for big files, but really slower for little files. So if you need to write many tiny files you'll be well advised to use standard (class4 generally now) microSDHC cards.
It would be really interesting if someone who has a huge collection of EPUB files could do the comparison between writing 10gb EPUB files on a class4 card, and doing on a class10 card. If you write 60MB pdf files, class10 is probably an easy winner. But for small books with no image embedded, I'm not so sure

a lexar 32gb class10 speed test from external source (bad results even for bigger files in this case : for 50mb files it performs well under 10mb/s)

a standard Sandisk class2 card, for the same 50mb test
Note for 512kb files, this sandisk class2 is almost 3 times faster than the class10 above (3.5mb/s vs 1.3mb/s)

edit : cf http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...is-speed-test/
Class 2 and 4 cards have better random access speed and random read/write than class 6 or 10 cards in general. To get higher sequential write speeds, manufacturers sacrifice the random access speeds, speed charts, and more.

Last edited by oliwek; 01-13-2012 at 09:30 AM.
oliwek is offline   Reply With Quote