Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-22-2012, 03:42 AM   #196
Ilogis
Enthusiast
Ilogis began at the beginning.

Device: none
I changed the setting of HUR to make it refresh every page.

Now, outside of HUR, page refresh is automatically turned on and I cannot change back with HUR, or turn off with Kindle setting. Uninstalled HUR but still no luck.

Help me maybe?

Last edited by Ilogis; 08-22-2012 at 04:15 AM.
Ilogis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:51 AM   #197
bhaak
Groupie
bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Palm IIIx, (iPhone|Kindle) Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilogis View Post
I changed the setting of HUR to make it refresh every page.

Now, outside of HUR, page refresh is automatically turned on and I cannot change back with HUR, or turn off with Kindle setting. Uninstalled HUR but still no luck.
The page refreshing of HackedUpReader works by calling a command line program by Amazon that refreshes the current visible screen. It doesn't change any of the settings of the Kindle.

I'm unable to see how it could possibly change the behavior of the other standard Kindle components.

Edit: Although I noticed that the Kindle reader software will refresh the display always when there are images on the page? Can anybody confirm my observation?

Last edited by bhaak; 08-22-2012 at 04:55 AM.
bhaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:17 AM   #198
Ilogis
Enthusiast
Ilogis began at the beginning.

Device: none
I don't know, 2 things I did today is update KT to 5.1.2 and install + change HUR setting.

Now the page refresh option of Kindle does nothing. The display is always refreshed when turn page.

HUR itself does not have that problem,
Ilogis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:19 AM   #199
bhaak
Groupie
bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cscat View Post
On a more important note, adding support for Perso-Arabic font would be nice.
From what I've seen of the code there is no support for right-to-left scripts (also none for vertically written scripts) in the CoolReader engine that is used by HackedUpReader and it also wouldn't be so easy to add that even if I had extensive knowledge about its inner workings.

You could try and raise a feature request at the CoolReader feature tracker: https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?gro...84&atid=936759

Quote:
Originally Posted by cscat View Post
And by the way, one thing I love about HUR is that for reading books in my mother languages, (where books begin from right to left), prev/next page can be triggered by touching right/left sides of screen! (nice )
But it sounds like it would work for you?
Old 08-22-2012, 11:01 AM   #200
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever
techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch hacked
Sorry for again asking but when I go to controls there are nos like 0, 1, etc. What do these nos correspond to in touch. I could figure out only the next and previous page defaults now what do other nos, sidepresses are in touch?
techiemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:20 PM   #201
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@bhaak: Yep, when there's an image (I think there's a minimum size check, though), it will usually force a full refresh. Also, depends on the temp of the controller: if it starts getting too hot, it'll force a full refresh, regardless of the settings.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:53 AM   #202
varnie
Connoisseur
varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Also, depends on the temp of the controller: if it starts getting too hot, it'll force a full refresh, regardless of the settings.
yes, that's so. here's a thread about this issue: http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle?_...x3681HPTNJ94A1
varnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:17 AM   #203
varnie
Connoisseur
varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Hi all.
I fixed the dictionary support in HUR.
I haven't prepared a new version; hope bhaak will do that .

Here's how to enable it:
1) create folder "/mnt/us/hackedupreader/share/cr3/dict"
1) put some dictionary related files into it.
for instance, this dictionary works for me (warning, it is about 15 MB): https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...0&d=1276346125
We need both files from the archive
2) Go to HUR Settings dialogue -> Controls and bind an invocation of one of the two available dictionary dialogues.
For example, bind the event "Long OK" to "Find in Dictionary (T5)" or "Find in Dictionary (virtual keyboard)"

Now, when you press long OK on the top of your screen (as you're invoking HUR Settings dialogue) while reading some book, it will show one of the two dictionary dialogues mentioned above.

As for my experience, I found that T5 mode is not user-friendly and it needs some improvements for the Kindle Touch to work smoothly. So, my vote for "Virtual keyboard" mode.

updated:
I discovered a few issues, so please keep patience

Last edited by varnie; 08-24-2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:55 PM   #204
bhaak
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by techiemonkey View Post
Sorry for again asking but when I go to controls there are nos like 0, 1, etc. What do these nos correspond to in touch. I could figure out only the next and previous page defaults now what do other nos, sidepresses are in touch?
HUR is a CoolReader 3 port using a GUI that has originally been developed for a keyboard Kindle. Internally, the HUR specific code takes touch events and translates them to the keys. Therefore there are much more functions available in the code than the touch based adaption of HUR can interpret.

Currently, HUR only supports translating Enter, 0 and 9 (and short or long presses) for the main window.

You could change the functions manually by editing this file:
/mnt/us/hackedupreader/share/cr3/kindle_touch/keymaps/keymaps.ini

You could change the current behavior by editing line 131 in this file from "'0', LONG = DCMD_PAGEDOWN, 10" to "'0', LONG = DCMD_MOVE_BY_CHAPTER, -1" for going to the previous chapter instead of going back 10 pages.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:58 PM   #205
bhaak
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by varnie View Post
Hi all.
I fixed the dictionary support in HUR.
I haven't prepared a new version; hope bhaak will do that .
I can do that when you think you have resolved the issues.

I'll have an update, too. We somehow screwed up the translations, only the russian and the czech translation are currently available. I will bring the others back.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:54 PM   #206
bhaak
Groupie

I just pushed a change to the code repository that makes the interpretation of the touch events no longer uses hard coded coordinates (the new E-Ink Kindle has a different screen size than the Kindle Touch).

So HackedUpReader might work on the new Kindle Paperweight.

That is, after it has come out for real, if it has been jailbroken, if there is a launcher-like hack, if one of the HackedUpReader launcher extensions still work, if the display is still using X11, and if there are no other significant changes in the used OS on the Kindle Paperweight that would make HUR crash and burn.

Last edited by bhaak; 09-08-2012 at 04:23 AM.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:31 AM   #207
varnie
Connoisseur

good day.
I am still having problems with dictionaries. Yeah, it works but it isn't so user-friendly (at least the first approach out of the two present).

Now the good news. bhaak, looks like you screwed up the path to crengine.log file. I fixed it.
Here's my commit regarding that: https://github.com/varnie/HackedUpRe...13dad5c1a798d5

And, apart from that, I fixed the page navigations (it occurred it was broken for some rotation modes). Here's the related path:
https://github.com/varnie/HackedUpRe...79d523a5a07d23

Please write back
Old 09-08-2012, 09:21 AM   #208
bhaak
Groupie

Quote:
good day.
I am still having problems with dictionaries. Yeah, it works but it isn't so user-friendly (at least the first approach out of the two present).
I think one problem is that we don't have CANCEL mapped to any possible input. What about putting that on a long press event when in the header area?

Quote:
Now the good news. bhaak, looks like you screwed up the path to crengine.log file. I fixed it.
Here's my commit regarding that: https://github.com/varnie/HackedUpRe...13dad5c1a798d5

And, apart from that, I fixed the page navigations (it occurred it was broken for some rotation modes). Here's the related path:
https://github.com/varnie/HackedUpRe...79d523a5a07d23
I already merged those. I'm surprised that the crengine changes the semantics of the next/previous page commandos in regards to the rotation. I would have said that this is the responsibility of the GUI to send the right code not the core framework.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:01 AM   #209
bhaak
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaak View Post
Quote:
good day.
I think one problem is that we don't have CANCEL mapped to any possible input. What about putting that on a long press event when in the header area?
Or putting it into the footer.

FWIW dictionaries already work quite okay and would almost be good enough to work with, the only thing that's bothering me is the two-column mode it displays the results in.

I just can't find where this gets set. Maybe it's a CSS setting somewhere, I'll have to check that again.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:12 PM   #210
bhaak
Groupie

I did some work so that you can start HUR by pressing the store button.

There's no installer and I consider it not suitable for an average non-developing user. You have to do the necessary changes by hand so don't try it unless you feel comfortable rummaging around in the entrails of your Kindle on the command line.

The thread is titled How to make the store button useful?.

Last edited by bhaak; 10-04-2012 at 06:58 AM. Reason: warning for average users

Tags
epub, launcher add-ons