Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-09-2012, 05:14 PM   #1
Kubizo
Connoisseur
Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.

Device: Kindle 3 B008 3.1
Current status on Kindle 4 (No Touch) custom screensavers

Hi everyone!

I jailbroke my new Kindle 4 NT with Yifan Lu's jailbreak. My purpose was to install the screensaver hack, but apparently it does not exist yet on the K4NT.

I checked on the mobileread wiki and I found:
Quote:
So far this current screensaver hack is not working on the Kindle NT
I searched the forum and all I could find was this post linking to a Youtube video: instructions are to do it via USBnet, which is a little bit beyond my computer skills.

By any chance, does the ScreenSaver Hack for Kindle Touch by Yifan Lu also work on Kindle 4 NT? Did anyone create a similar ".bin" package?

Thanks everyone (and in particular to the brave, committed and incredibly skilled people who found out how to jailbreak the Kindle) and sorry if I missed or misunderstood something.

Thanks again!
Kubizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:44 AM   #2
hostar
Zealot
hostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle 4 non-touch
I'm afraid the is no "one-click" way to make custom screensavers.
You can install first "ssh over wifi" here.

But you still will need to go to diag mode at least once, as is described in
video.

And here is screensaver hack instructions.
hostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:16 AM   #3
Kubizo
Connoisseur
Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.

Hi Hostar, thank you very much for your explanation! A lot clearer than what I had found up to now.

As I'm not a Unix/Linux guru, I will not try that, I'm too scared of bricking my Kindle. There are also a couple of steps in the SSH procedure that I don't really understand (such as installing the driver on Windows - basically I would install a network card driver for the Kindle connected via USB? I have a hard time getting it, let alone doing it).

Thanks for the recap! And thanks everyone for their efforts freeing up the K4/5.

Bye
Old 03-10-2012, 06:44 AM   #4
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
I think a RUNME.sh like this with geekmaster's data.tar.gz will also provide this w/o a ssh:

(Didn't try before )

RUNME.sh:
Code:
test -f /mnt/us/RUNME.done && exit
touch /mnt/us/RUNME.done
mkdir mnt/us/screensaver
mntroot rw
mv /opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800 /opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800_
ln -s /mnt/us/screensaver /opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800
mntroot ro

Last edited by thomass; 03-10-2012 at 06:54 AM.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:35 PM   #5
Kubizo
Connoisseur

Hi thomass! Thanks so much for your script! Sorry for the late reply!

OK, so, let me see if I got it right:

1) Even if already jailbroken, copy data.tar.gz to the Kindle root folder
2) Also copy runme.sh with your code to the Kindle root
3) Home, Menu, Settings, Menu, Restart my Kindle
4) Copy the images in Kindle/screensaver/
5) The magic is done!

PS: do I need to use the Kindle names for the screensaver files (07N.png, etc...)?

Thanks a lot!

K
Old 03-13-2012, 07:57 PM   #6
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
I think a RUNME.sh like this with geekmaster's data.tar.gz will also provide this w/o a ssh:

(Didn't try before )

RUNME.sh:
Code:
test -f /mnt/us/RUNME.done && exit
touch /mnt/us/RUNME.done
mkdir mnt/us/screensaver
mntroot rw
mntroot ro
If you use geekmaster's data.tar.gz, you can shorten that RUNME.sh to this:
Code:
mkdir mnt/us/screensaver
mntroot rw
All the other steps are done for you by the file that calls RUNME.sh

In fact, the first line of your script will always exit immediately, because the RUNME.done file is created BEFORE the RUNME.sh script is called.

I also did not test this, but I know that the lines I removed should not be there.

EDIT:
Oops... I see on closer inspection that you are writing to the root partition, in which case you may need the "mnrtoot rw". I am accustomed to booting diags and mounting mmcblk0p1 writable. I think that the "mntroot ro" is not necessary because RUNME.sh runs early in startup and the root partition goes back to "ro" mode in a later startup script, but it does not hurt to put it back in there just to be sure. Sorry about that.

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-13-2012 at 09:14 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:35 PM   #7
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
I also did not test this, but I know that the lines I removed should not be there.
so be it

thanks for correcting me

I don't know whether it makes any difference but I created one with UNIX formatings to make sure there is no more mistake

EDIT: removed the attachment.: there is some more correction (see below)

Last edited by thomass; 03-14-2012 at 07:40 AM.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:48 PM   #8
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
How about this?
Code:
mkdir /mnt/us/screensaver
test -d /opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800_ || mv /opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800 /opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800_
ln -sf /mnt/us/screensaver /opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800
This way, you can even run it again without fear of losing the original screensavers or screwing up the fs hierarchy

Last edited by ixtab; 03-13-2012 at 08:51 PM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:49 PM   #9
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubizo View Post
Hi thomass! Thanks so much for your script! Sorry for the late reply!

OK, so, let me see if I got it right:

1) Even if already jailbroken, copy data.tar.gz to the Kindle root folder
2) Also copy runme.sh with your code to the Kindle root
3) Home, Menu, Settings, Menu, Restart my Kindle
4) Copy the images in Kindle/screensaver/
5) The magic is done!
Up to that point it seems correct. A restart after a change in screensaver folder may be necessary also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubizo View Post
PS: do I need to use the Kindle names for the screensaver files (07N.png, etc...)?
images should be in png format and probably needed to be in size 600*800. if there will be a problem you should see the original thread for other details:
Old 03-13-2012, 08:52 PM   #10
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The geekmaster data.tar.gz works on both the K4 and the Touch, in both main and diags bootmodes. It does not call RUNME.sh if there is a RUNME.done file on the USB drive. This was done to prevent an "infinite reboot loop" if a badly broken RUNME.sh script was put on the drive. Before you can run a RUNME.sh script, you must delete a RUNME.done file if one exists, and you must do this each time you want to run another RUNME.sh script.

I just thought it should be mentioned here for those who did not read the "Select Boot" thread (where you can download my data.tar.gz)...

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-13-2012 at 09:00 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:11 PM   #11
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
How about this?
Code:
test -d /opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800_ || mv /opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800 /opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800_
ln -sf /mnt/us/screensaver /opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800
This way, you can even run it again without fear of losing the original screensavers or screwing up the fs hierarchy
@ixtab: I messed up -- I believe that it needs the "mntroot rw" added back in for the "ln -s" to work.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:19 PM   #12
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quite possibly

But my point was a different one, namely not to execute the mv command twice. (If it was for a file, it would have overwritten the original amazon file on the second invocation. Since it's a directory, it would move the current directory as a subdirectory into the original on second invocation. And neither of that is really what you want

Oh, I just realized that the ln -sf probably also only works on files, so I guess a correct way is this:
Code:
mntroot rw
if [ -d /opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800_ ]; then
    mntroot ro
    exit
fi
mntroot ro
or so.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:20 PM   #13
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
or so.
exactly!

Even the simple things need testing, or they come back to bite you.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:04 PM   #14
JinRoh
JinRoh began at the beginning.

Device: ¿Cybook / Hanlin / Sony?
I'm trying to get this to work without success.

I "jailbreaked" the Kindle 4 (at least, a new book saying "You are jailbroken" appeared) but I didn't get the screensaver to work.

Should I just create a RUNME.sh file in the kindle and copy this content : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=12

And reboot (after having jailbreak installed)?

It didn't do anything in my kindle (it didn't create any folder, which I think should have happened) But I'm probably doing something wrong.

Thanks!
JinRoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:46 PM   #15
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JinRoh View Post
I'm trying to get this to work without success.

I "jailbreaked" the Kindle 4 (at least, a new book saying "You are jailbroken" appeared) but I didn't get the screensaver to work.

Should I just create a RUNME.sh file in the kindle and copy this content : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=12

And reboot (after having jailbreak installed)?

It didn't do anything in my kindle (it didn't create any folder, which I think should have happened) But I'm probably doing something wrong.

Thanks!
First of all there is no need for jailbreak

just use data.tar.gz from this post with the RUNME.sh you created (copy both of them to your Kindle then restart )

After restart you should see a folder named screensaver in your Kindle

Also, if you are in Windows it would help if you use this app when you create this RUNME.sh. and File>save as> [Format] Ensure Unix Format

Last edited by thomass; 03-14-2012 at 04:52 PM.