Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-23-2008, 12:20 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
"Sunrise Alley" by Catherine Asaro
"Black on Black" & the sequel "Stars Over Stars" by K. D. Wentworth
"West of Honor" by Jerry Pournelle
"The Shadow of the Lion" by Mercedes Lackey, Eric Flint and Dave Freer
"Star Soldiers" & "Time Traders by Andre Norton
Don't bother with Time Traders as the entire series is not available as eBooks since the series switched publishers.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 11:51 AM   #17
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
pilotbob, yes, it's a stand-alone book.

wallcraft, ``better formatted'' is arguable --- the .pdf I made doesn't have any stacks, orphans or widows, and if read 2-up (I formatted it initially for my Fujitsu Stylistic 2300) the facing pages base align.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 12:17 PM   #18
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
wallcraft, ``better formatted'' is arguable --- the .pdf I made doesn't have any stacks, orphans or widows, and if read 2-up (I formatted it initially for my Fujitsu Stylistic 2300) the facing pages base align.
I was comparing MOBI versions, i.e. better formatted than the MOBI version on the web site (which for example has no TOC).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 06:28 PM   #19
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Interesting web site, but FeedBooks has a better formatted MOBI version and the version right here on MobileRead also has the cover.
I downloaded it from feedbooks right onto my Kindle. Now that is pretty sweet. I am liking this Kindle. Perhaps soon I will even start reading a book on it.

Searching the feedbooks text file doesn't seem to work for me though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I have not been able to Filter FeedBooks to only list Science Fiction Novels but browsing FeedBooks by Type=Novels and Order=Year gets only novels and mostly Science Fiction for the 1st couple of pages.
Perhaps they could break out the guides by Genre. I would like to have an SF only and Fantasy only guide for Feedbooks.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 07:36 AM   #20
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I downloaded it from feedbooks right onto my Kindle. Now that is pretty sweet. I am liking this Kindle. Perhaps soon I will even start reading a book on it.

Searching the feedbooks text file doesn't seem to work for me though.

Perhaps they could break out the guides by Genre. I would like to have an SF only and Fantasy only guide for Feedbooks.

BOb
I haven't enabled a way to filter a book using multiples types yet.

For the search, you need to wait a little while before your Kindle finish indexing everything. It'll work once it's indexed.

If you'd like to browse SF or Fantasy only, I'd recommend using the mobile website instead. Inside the Kindle Guide if you click on Fantasy or Science-Fiction you'll be redirected to the right page, or you could use the browser and open the following URI: http://feedbooks.mobi

Although you can't filter with multiple types while browsing, you can already make advanced search queries. In the search field you could for example enter: type:"Fantasy" author:"Kadrey"
You could enter multiple types this way too. I need to extend the number of results you can get from the search (I'll let the user select a value and use multiple pages to display them).
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 12:22 PM   #21
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
For the search, you need to wait a little while before your Kindle finish indexing everything. It'll work once it's indexed.
Yep, that was it. After I had it on the Kindle for a while, I searched for the _Star Dragon_ book reco above and was able to download it, using Wispernet, SWEET! That is the first book I am reading on my Kindle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
If you'd like to browse SF or Fantasy only, I'd recommend using the mobile website instead. Inside the Kindle Guide if you click on Fantasy or Science-Fiction you'll be redirected to the right page, or you could use the browser and open the following URI: http://feedbooks.mobi
Great, I'll give it a try. Great website and service. How do you guys afford the time and money to run these great free sites. I hope you make loads of money off adds.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 02:35 PM   #22
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Don't bother with Time Traders as the entire series is not available as eBooks since the series switched publishers.
The first four, written between 1958 and 1963, (The Time Traders, Galactic Derelict, The Defiant Agents, and Key Out of Time) are all available as free ebooks from www.feedbooks.com. The volume available at Baen as "Time Traders" is actually the first two of those books. The rest of the series, Firehand, Echoes in Time, and Atlantis Endgame, were written between 1994 and 2002. Since anyone following the series had to wait 31 years between volumes four and five, I doubt it would do much harm to *start* reading! The rest will probably be ebooks before another 30 years has passed.

Andre Norton's SF and the Heinlein juveniles were what got me into SF in the late 1960s - I can still picture that particularly exciting shelf in the local children's library. Haven't seen them for years, but they're now on the virtual read-pile of my iLiad. I wonder if I'll still enjoy them?
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 04:56 AM   #23
Vesper
Addict
Vesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-350, Cybook Gen3, Palm T|X
Quote:
Originally Posted by carandol View Post
Andre Norton's SF and the Heinlein juveniles were what got me into SF in the late 1960s - I can still picture that particularly exciting shelf in the local children's library. Haven't seen them for years, but they're now on the virtual read-pile of my iLiad. I wonder if I'll still enjoy them?
You still _might_ enjoy them. I'm reading Verne's "Mysterious Island" (one of my favourites from younger days) and literally cringe in some places
Hope you enjoy your books

DrS
Vesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 05:09 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Baen have recently released quite a few of Heinlein's "juvenile" books. I still find them great reading, personally - echoes of a more "innocent" age. Having said that, though, I'm a big fan of juvenile fiction anyway, so others might not share my tastes.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 05:12 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The first four, written between 1958 and 1963, (The Time Traders, Galactic Derelict, The Defiant Agents, and Key Out of Time) are all available as free ebooks from www.feedbooks.com. The volume available at Baen as "Time Traders" is actually the first two of those books.
Baen also have "Time Traders II" which contains "The Defiant Agents" and "Key Out of Time".
Old 05-25-2008, 12:56 PM   #26
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Baen also have "Time Traders II" which contains "The Defiant Agents" and "Key Out of Time".
I've started reading the Baen Books version of Time Traders, and discovered that it's been revised for this edition, as compared with the old out-of-copyright version available on feedbooks. Just minor things -- the bad guys are no longer the Soviets, but a resurgeant "Greater Russia", and there are rather less atomic-powered vehicles (probably a good thing!). Presumably this is to make them tie in better with the new volumes; it certainly makes them feel less dated. Volume 6, Echoes in Time, is available as an ebook, though not from Baen (I've spotted it on Fictionwise and Books On Board), but not volumes 5 and 7.
Old 05-26-2008, 03:14 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
I've started reading the Baen Books version of Time Traders, and discovered that it's been revised for this edition, as compared with the old out-of-copyright version available on feedbooks. Just minor things -- the bad guys are no longer the Soviets, but a resurgeant "Greater Russia", and there are rather less atomic-powered vehicles (probably a good thing!). Presumably this is to make them tie in better with the new volumes; it certainly makes them feel less dated.
That's not necessarily the reason for revision. The out-of-copyright versions of "modern" SF are almost always the original magazine stories for which copyright was not renewed. It was entirely normal for the stories to be re-written somewhat when republished as novels (which are still under copyright protection). You'll find the same if you compare the magazine versions of E.E.Smith's early "Lensman" books (for which the magazine copyright wasn't renewed) with the novel versions of the same stories.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:02 AM   #28
carandol
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's not necessarily the reason for revision. The out-of-copyright versions of "modern" SF are almost always the original magazine stories for which copyright was not renewed. It was entirely normal for the stories to be re-written somewhat when republished as novels (which are still under copyright protection). You'll find the same if you compare the magazine versions of E.E.Smith's early "Lensman" books (for which the magazine copyright wasn't renewed) with the novel versions of the same stories.
I'm pretty sure in this case that the revisions are recent -- the collapse of the Soviet Union, the moon landings, and our failure to continue manned space exploration after the moon landings are all in the Baen edition from 2000, and the previous edition was published in 1979, when nobody much was predicting the end of Soviet power.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:03 AM   #29
TheLongshot
Groupie
TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
I'm pretty sure in this case that the revisions are recent -- the collapse of the Soviet Union, the moon landings, and our failure to continue manned space exploration after the moon landings are all in the Baen edition from 2000, and the previous edition was published in 1979, when nobody much was predicting the end of Soviet power.
Baen does seem to like to do that with the older fiction that they acquire, which is why the manuscripts for the original Godwin and Schmitz stories that were changed a lot were presented for free on Baen's site.

Most seem to be relatively minor edits, tho.

Jason
TheLongshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 02:09 AM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Time Traders while a good series is one of those really annoying series. You can get into it and then you hit a brick wall as you'll then have to purchase pBook editions as not all are eBooks. If you don't mind, go for it. If you mind, give the series a miss. I've read the first two books so far and am still deciding if I want to continue.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote