Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-11-2010, 09:07 AM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Please explain the difference between shut down and close down.

I'm becoming very confused about the difference. Does one save more battery power? I've always switched off my 505 by sliding the on/off switch, but have noticed that the battery drains considerably if I don't use the reader for a day or two.

I would be very grateful if someone would clear up this muddle for me.

Thanks.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:49 AM   #2
jessie102
Addict
jessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: SONY PRS505
closedown = laptop standby = cpu off, I/O off, memory on, Operating system freeze state, instant start time
shutdown = laptop windows shutdown = cpu memory I/O off, Operating system shutdown, long start time
jessie102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:57 AM   #3
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the reply Jessie, but I didn't mean my laptop, I meant my ereader. In the Advanced Settings there's an option to "Device Shutdown". I really want to know how that's different to the normal push-the-button-across switch off, and what the advantages are of using it.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:02 AM   #4
BookCat
C L J

Were you meaning the laptop thingy as a parallel, such as the difference between hibernate and total switch off being the same as close down and shut down?

Sorry, being a bit dim!
Old 12-11-2010, 11:20 AM   #5
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Push switch across and it goes to sleep, push across and hold and it asks if you want to shutdown and does so with confirmation. Sleep = fast start and shutdown = all power off and longer start.

My 505 has never been turned off in three plus years apart from when installing firmware updates or PRS+ and I charge (separate PSU not computer) every week to ten days (overnight) with around 2+ hours reading per day (and I'm a fast reader so several hundred page turns).
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:22 AM   #6
Miss Understood
Enthusiast
Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Nook, Sony PRS-350 (pink!); IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I'm becoming very confused about the difference. Does one save more battery power? I've always switched off my 505 by sliding the on/off switch, but have noticed that the battery drains considerably if I don't use the reader for a day or two.

I would be very grateful if someone would clear up this muddle for me.

Thanks.
Hi BookCat, when I use my Sony 505 I just put the Sony aside and let it put itself into sleep mode. It saves on battery drain, powering the reader up and down does drain the battery. I can get about 2 weeks of battery life on my reader with pretty heavy reading and I can get about 3 weeks of battery with extremely light reading.

I hope this helps.
Miss Understood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:42 PM   #7
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Were you meaning the laptop thingy as a parallel, such as the difference between hibernate and total switch off being the same as close down and shut down?
Your reader actually is a computer, with CPU, memory, operating system (a flavor of Linux), and even a kind of hard drive.

If you plan not to use it for a few days or more, it might help to switch it off completely.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:04 PM   #8
pete_1967
Connoisseur
pete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
If you plan not to use it for a few days or more, it might help to switch it off completely.
PRS 350 & 650 (and I believe 950 as well) automatically turn themselves off after two days inactivity - no need to worry about things like that with them
pete_1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:27 PM   #9
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

They all turnoff after inactivity if you set them that way... see Power Management or Sleep Mode depending on reader...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete_1967 View Post
PRS 350 & 650 (and I believe 950 as well) automatically turn themselves off after two days inactivity - no need to worry about things like that with them
Old 12-12-2010, 08:12 AM   #10
BookCat
C L J

elcreative, the 505 goes into sleep mode after no activity for 60mins, but not into shutdown. I've re-read the PDF manual for the 505; shutdown has to be deliberately performed.

Sometimes, like during Nano, I barely use my reader for days or weeks; when I switch it on after this period, the battery has drained by at least two bars.

On return from shutdown, do I have to wait for the "reader is starting up" malarky? I hate doing this, especially as it often deletes bookmarks etc.

As far as the 350 and 650 are concerned, I still think that the 505 is the supreme ruler of the Sony range
Old 12-12-2010, 12:57 PM   #11
elcreative
Wizard

'Fraid you're stuck with the "reader is starting up" after shutdown... one of differences between the two states... keep power longer but wait longer to use...
Old 12-13-2010, 04:29 AM   #12
BookCat
C L J

Oh bums!!

Tags
battery, shut down, switch off