Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-24-2010, 12:30 PM   #16
karunaji
Evangelist
karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Bookeen Opus
I can understand your frustration with customs. It was the same story in Latvia just a few years ago. Once I bought a spare laptop battery and it was shipped from China. I had to go the Fedex airport office, pay 20 euros to some company just for preparing the import declaration, then wait in long line in some tax office to submit it. Then they asked for additional documentation, invoices, ebay transaction proof etc. Then I had go to the bank and pay tax in 2 different accounts. There was some mistake in the declaration so I had to do this process twice and I wasted 2 full working days just to get the 30 euro worth battery out of the customs.

After this ordeal I wrote really nasty letters to the tax officials. I don't know if they had any effect but, fortunately, the exemption limit is now raised to 150 euros so I got my Kindle quick and fast, without any additional trouble or payment.
karunaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:06 AM   #17
slapo
slapo began at the beginning.

Device: none
It's not as much the customs as it is Amazon itself - how could a multi-million dollar company have a problem with sending a piece of paper or an e-mail with a PDF?

The Kindle is back in the US now and UPS delivery status is "Delivered" since yesterday morning. Oddly enough, it still says "Returning to seller" on my Amazon order page. It makes me wonder when I'm going to see the money back on my bank account.

After calling the Amazon Kindle support (via Skype on the toll free US number, it was free, which I have missed before I purchased a 10 € credit from Skype... which I'm unlikely to use in foreseeable future), the person who picked it up, with an accent I would say is between typical Indian (as in from India) and German accent you can hear in movies, told me the one option I have left if I want a Kindle is to simply order it again (who would have thought is that? :P) but the discount applied to my previous Kindle order might not be applied. I made the order, the discount wasn't applied.
At least I now have a microphone for 3.90 € and a 10 € Skype credit, neither of which I really wanted. Even though the credit is my fault, I wouldn't have even gone to the Skype website were it not for Amazon's rigid invoice-related bureaucracy.

The newly ordered Kindle is now in Germany, so I hope I'll get it next week. It's a pity I have ordered a Kindle book before having the device in my hands. If this second shipment goes wrong, after two months of waiting, I think I'll do a (Rayman) raving rabbit and be through with Amazon. Then I'll get the cheapest Android tablet that can run the Kindle Android app and is usable for some light web browsing and enjoy its mediocrity.

Last edited by slapo; 09-25-2010 at 08:11 AM.
slapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2010, 09:09 AM   #18
karunaji
Evangelist
karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

While Amazon could be more helpful, I still don't understand what's the problem with your customs office? They had a Kindle with a printed invoice and you have a proof that you have bought it from Amazon. Why can't they just calculate the correct tax and after receiving payment release it to you? Requiring business address on printed invoice seems unreasonable in this case.

Even though I was infuriated with the red type, it doesn't really matter how much you actually paid for an item. The tax is calculated from so called market value. Many clever ebay shoppers in Latvia try to avoid paying import tax by asking the seller to write a different amount (much lower) on the invoice. The customs agents simply open the package, check the serial number of the device and google the price. It means one more form to fill by a shopper to explain the difference (e.g., sellers discount) or prove which was much harder that the device is not really worth as much (e.g., it is broken).
Old 09-25-2010, 12:34 PM   #19
slapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by karunaji View Post
While Amazon could be more helpful, I still don't understand what's the problem with your customs office? They had a Kindle with a printed invoice and you have a proof that you have bought it from Amazon. Why can't they just calculate the correct tax and after receiving payment release it to you? Requiring business address on printed invoice seems unreasonable in this case.
Beats me - I even told them I'd pay VAT based on the price Amazon lists without the discount, but they insisted that prices on the printed invoice and my proof of payment must match. I would have started stomping my foot if I weren't getting too disappointed and somewhat angry, thus I was worried that I might get carried away and do something that wouldn't help me at all.
I just hope the next Kindle shipment won't be this troublesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karunaji View Post
Even though I was infuriated with the red type, it doesn't really matter how much you actually paid for an item. The tax is calculated from so called market value. Many clever ebay shoppers in Latvia try to avoid paying import tax by asking the seller to write a different amount (much lower) on the invoice. The customs agents simply open the package, check the serial number of the device and google the price. It means one more form to fill by a shopper to explain the difference (e.g., sellers discount) or prove which was much harder that the device is not really worth as much (e.g., it is broken).
I think they used to do this, but since this summer, it either got more complicated or they are just being more thorough. I'll see how UPS will handle getting through the customs with the next shipment.

I'll post when I'll have news about the new one. I hope to do a short Kindle review as well. I was hoping I would be among the first to do so, having placed my first order in July, but that's just life, I guess.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:27 AM   #20
karunaji
Evangelist

I wish you to get your Kindle soon.

Recently I had to contact Amazon support about a book lost in mail. I had selected Expedient shipping (8-10 days) and when the book didn't arrive in 2 weeks I complained through Amazon website. I found it confusing that instead of "My book didn't arrive" there was only an option "Where is my stuff>". Anyway, the e-mail reply I received suggested to wait one more week as sometimes mail gets delayed. I waited dutifully one more week and when the book didn't arrive I wrote again and I received the same standard answer to wait one more week. I considered this unacceptable and clicked on the link in the e-mail that it didn't solve my issue. I got forwarded to the website where I could chose to speak to Amazon's representative by making them to call my phone number. I shortly explained my problem and asked if the book could be re-sent with faster shipping option. I offered to pay the difference for faster shipping but they sent it for free. I got the book sent by DHL after 3 days.

In another case some time ago I sent back an incorrectly ordered book and the money was refunded back to my account minus shipping. I think you shouldn't worry about getting refund for the returned Kindle. Sometimes it just takes time. I wouldn't put much hope in getting shipping fees refunded though.
Advert
Old 10-01-2010, 01:03 AM   #21
slapo

I got my Kindle yesterday.

The device arrived safely and works OK, so I guess now I'll have to treat it nice.
I'll try to do a short review this weekend.

Thanks for the responses, everyone

Tags
amazon, invoice, kindle