Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-24-2010, 09:56 AM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
How many different ebook readers have you used?

I am just curious to find out how many readers most people have used. I wonder who wins the prize for 'most devices owned or used.' Here is my tally:

Sony Clie (too much glare and some battery issues; replaced with the m125)
Palm m125 (a great little device! Got a lot of use out of it for book reading)
eBookwise (had its day with me, then I moved on to a lighter, smaller Sony)
Sony 505 (great device; replaced by the Kindle since I wanted TTS and dictionary)
iPod Touch (still have it, still use it but not often for reading anymore)
Amazon Kindle (my current device)
Astak Reader (borrowed from a friend for review purposes)
Pocketbook 360 (anticipating this in the mail any day now to review for Teleread)

So...that's eight. Nine if you count my Alphasmart Dana, which I got intending to read on it, found unsuitable for reading due to the glare and still own to use for other purposes. And ten if you count a desktop computer---I don't prefer to read on those, but if I have a break at work I will sometimes access a chapter or two from a book in my Kobo library since I can access that on-line. I realize not everyone will read off a computer screen though and it is not my preference.

So, lifetime, we'll say ten devices. The ones in current use are the Kindle (most often), the computer (sometimes) and the iPod Touch (rarely). We'll see what happens when the PB arrives
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:14 AM   #2
sdmama
Enthusiast
sdmama doesn't littersdmama doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader 505 and 700 and Kindle 2
Just the three I own:

Sony 505 which was my first purchase. It has a BookArmor case so it is my travelling reader. It will go on vacation with me. Like it very much, although the page turn buttons bother my right thumb somewhat.

Sony 700 which was my second purchase. Bought it off Craigslist on a whim and used it twice. Loved the light and larger fonts but could not master the page turn sweep and was forced to use the page turn button. It lives in a drawer.

Kindle 2 which was my third purchase and my favorite device. Love the larger screen fonts and the page turn button.
sdmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2010, 12:46 PM   #3
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Desktop PC (from Pentium 3 through Core2Quad)
Tablet PC (Fujitsu 3400)
Laptop PC (Dell 1505)
Netbook PC (Dell Mini 12)
Dell Axim x51v
Apple iPod Touch
Sony PRS-500
Bookeen Cybook Gen3
Netronix EB-100
Kindle 2
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:24 PM   #4
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
PC(Desktop and laptop)
Sony-505
Sony-900
Hanvon N516w/OI
Delstar Open(returned after two days)

I was shocked that i love my little Hanvon far more than the expensive 900. I'm almost ready to sell the 900 because I haven't touched it in weeks.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:37 PM   #5
animedude01
Addict
animedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheese

Device: DR1000S, ILIAD2, Nokia n900, Kindle for PC, Astak EZReader Pro
Desktop PC (work related PDFs and manga)
Laptop PC (work related PDFs and manga, tried Amazon Kindle for PC)
Nokia E90 Communicator
Nokia e71x
Nokia N900 (current phone)
Irex Iliad
Irex DR1000 (PDFs almost exclusively now)
5" Astak EZReader Pocket Pro (non PDF, non work related reading)

On my desktop and laptop I read PDFs related to work and manga, since the manga doesn't do as well on the readers. I also have Kindle for PC on my laptop so I could test it.

I started reading ebooks on my phone and have gone through several. I liked the Iliad and then got the DR1000 for PDFs, and then the PocketPro for general reading. I still use the DR1000 for PDFs as it does a great job displaying the full size. I now use the PocketPro for all my personal reading pretty much exclusively. The DR1000 was nice as I got a lot of text before a page turn, but it's big and a pain to carry around.
animedude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2010, 03:57 PM   #6
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Sony 505
Kindle ( original )
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:58 PM   #7
Petter
Petter began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Librie
REB1100
Sony Librie
Palm T5 (only one book...)
Irex Iliad
Cybook
(will buy iPad)

/Petter
Petter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:11 PM   #8
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
I only ever used the desktop PC and PRS-600.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:37 PM   #9
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Franklin ebookman: my first reader, liked it, but wanted colour

So, I got a:

Fujitsu Siemens Loox 600: a PDA, colour, 200x320 screen, but it had a small problem with the backlight not turning on when it should (you had to turn on the light and hold the device under that light to turn on the backlight) and the battery was getting old (it was second hand), which gave me a good reason to buy a new one, a:

Fujitsu Siemens Loox 720: again a PDA, colour, transflective TFT, 480x640 screen. It's still an awesome device, I still use it for reading. Perfectly readable in sunlight (with the backlight turned off) and a very high resolution for the screensize. But, I wanted a larger screen (just for the fun of it), so I bought a:

JoinTech JE100: 7" screen, and if it had a transflective screen, it would have been perfect. But you can't read it in daylight, unless I turn on the backlight to max. And that's annoying because I mainly read in the dark (at night). So, I had another excuse to buy me a third reader, a:

BeBook Mini: which I use during daytime reading and when my other devices are empty (e-ink does have the advantage of longer battery life). But I hate to use it in bed, because I don't like bedlights...

But, wherever I go, my three readers go with me. Though, the PDa now has become more PDA than ereader, since I bought the JE100, and espcially since I also bought the Mini. But it's an easy way to read three books at the same time.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:19 PM   #10
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Not many really, just 2 kinds of devices in different versions..

Basically a Kindle 1, Kindle 2, Kinle DX, iPod touch and iPhone.
Looking forward to trying out the iPad!
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:32 PM   #11
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Excluding computers -

Palm PDA
Another Palm PDA
EB1150
Sony 500
Sony 505
Kindle 1
Sony 700
iPod Touch

Soon... iPad
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:17 PM   #12
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
- Desktop PC
- Sony Clie T-415C (Palm OS)
- HP Ipaq 1920 (actually, two of them)
- Dell Axim X50v (still on my second of these, and have a third "spare" I bought cheaply on eBay)
- iPhone 3G

The Axim is still my main reader (with uBook and Freda, I don't need anything else). The screen is smaller compared to a dedicated reader and (Oh no!) is backlit, but is so crisp and clear, and fits in my pocket perfectly. Running WM6.1, I have a 16GB SDHC card and 4GB CF card plugged into it, and carry every single ebook I've ever bought or downloaded on it, with space for gigs of music and video files left over.

Heh, I still keep an eye on eBay for more spare, cheap X50v/X51v's. Just in case, y'know.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:12 PM   #13
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
My mother just phoned to tell me that I have a VERY LARGE package at her house. I guess my Pocketbook has arrived I thought I had given them my home address but I guess I didn't. I often use my mom's address for such things since she is in a secure building and packages can be left with the front desk staff. So, on Friday when I go for dinner, I will get it
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:32 PM   #14
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
My mother just phoned to tell me that I have a VERY LARGE package at her house. I guess my Pocketbook has arrived
Are you sure it isn't a refrigerator??
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:41 PM   #15
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
My ...

The LCD era (1999-2008)
  • Cassiopeia E-10 (black on green screen, those were them days ...)
  • HP Jornada 525 (and soon afterwards)
  • HP Jornada 565 (yeah, had too much money those days ...)
  • Rocket eBook (the one true classic)
  • Acer n310 (beautiful screen)

The eInk era (2008-present)
  • Cybook Gen3
  • Cybook Opus
  • Pocketbook 360 (for a preview test on MR)
  • Kindle 2 (being the one I seriously use nowadays)
  • iPhone 3G

Waiting for the holographic era with walkable text in 3D ...

Quote:
Are you sure it isn't a refrigerator??
Even those have displays these days. And at least you won't have to walk to get a drink or snack while reading.

Last edited by K-Thom; 03-24-2010 at 09:46 PM.
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote