Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 08-29-2013, 09:28 AM   #1
Hobbit
Hobbit began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy N-8000, Moto G - KitKat, Xolo 4.2, Nook Classic, Nook Color
Red face Calibre Companion on Galaxy Tab database crashed

First of all, I think CC is a great app. I have been using this for the past week and got about 2800 books on to my Galaxy Tab. Today I was doing some housekeeping on the library and had CC (Ver 3.4) connected to Calibre 1.0 64bit running on Windows 7. Calibre showed that CC had disconnected. I was not too much concerned. However, I saw CC was reporting 0 books. I connected CC to Calibre and CC faithfully sent metadata for all the books and received data from Calibre as usual. But CC still showed 0 books. So I clicked the Find Books with Missing Files option. CC faithfully worked through the 2800 books. But still ended up with 0 books.

Clearly what is needed is a method to rebuild the database. I really do not want to start from scratch again, please
Hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:50 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
First, you should be using 3.0.5, released over a week ago. It fixed two crashes in 3.0.4, one of which you may be having. You may find that installing the update fixes the display problem.

If all else fails, and if you are using epubs, then you can rebuild the database by going to Android, Settings, Applications, Calibre Companion and pressing the Clear Data button. Next, start CC and redo any particular setting you had before. In particular, if you changed "Groups for custom columns" or "Use book id as filename", change then again. Then connect to calibre as a wireless device. It will find the books, extract the metadata, "talk" to calibre, and repopulate the database.

If you are not using epubs then the process described above may not match the books with those in the calibre library. You would need to match the books by hand on calibre's device view by right-clicking on the book and choosing the appropriate line in the context menu.

On a related note: we will be releasing another update in the next few days that will improve CC's robustness with larger (multi-thousand book) libraries.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2013, 12:24 PM   #3
Hobbit
Hobbit began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy N-8000, Moto G - KitKat, Xolo 4.2, Nook Classic, Nook Color
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
First, you should be using 3.0.5, released over a week ago. It fixed two crashes in 3.0.4, one of which you may be having. You may find that installing the update fixes the display problem.

On a related note: we will be releasing another update in the next few days that will improve CC's robustness with larger (multi-thousand book) libraries.
First of all,chaley I was highly impressed with your speed of response.

I'd made a mistake in the version of CC, I am using 3.0.5. Food for your thoughts, perhaps?

I followed your crystal clear instructions and got my database back - even though it took 48 minutes I am not complaining!!

Thanks again!
Hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote