Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-19-2013, 07:55 AM   #1
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Are DRM infections dying out?

Is it just me or are more and more ebooks showing up without DRM complicating the ereading experience?

It is getting so that when I purchase a new ebook and try to remove the
infection, the process fails because there is no infection there. Then I am
sitting there trying to figure out what "went wrong", until the I finally notice
the healthy condition of the book.

It's not just the lessor known authors either, I just bought Orson Scott Card's
"The Lost Gate" from Barns & Noble and No DRM! What is the world coming to
when you try to jump through a hoop and it evaporates in your face?

Are we able to look forward to a time when healthy ebooks are the norm and
no curative measures required?

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:10 AM   #2
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Yeah for no DRM! In the Netherlands, as of the beginning of this year, we now have about 85% DRM-free books, including international bestsellers and all. My non-Dutch books come from Amazon, but I can't tell if they have DRM
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2013, 08:13 AM   #3
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
I certainly hope so!!

I was just reading about TOR dropping their DRM requirements, and I'm sure other publishers will follow soon...it's such a money waster for them.

I MUCH prefer to buy from people who don't treat me like a criminal. I refuse to buy gas at locations that require me to pay before I can pump just because someone else has driven off without paying. I like the simple statement that some author's use: We are providing this book DRM free so that you can enjoy the book...please don't pirate it.

Now, if they would only lower the prices to reflect the money they are NOT spending on DRM...

Oh yeah - thanks for the reminder that Gate Thief book 2 is out today. Yay!!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:21 AM   #4
mobilelover
Enthusiast
mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
what is DRM if you are getting books without infection what is the problem do you want it to be infected with some malware
mobilelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:32 AM   #5
glamourgenet
Nameless Being

I wish the phrase "DRM infection" would hurry up and die out.
Advert
Old 03-20-2013, 03:46 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
How could libraries operate without DRM? It's essential for some aspects of reading books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:02 AM   #7
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy736 View Post
My non-Dutch books come from Amazon, but I can't tell if they have DRM
At Amazon, if it states "Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited" in the Product Details section on the e-book's product page, that means it does not have DRM.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:09 AM   #8
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
How could libraries operate without DRM? It's essential for some aspects of reading books.
Yes. That the only sutiation I understand DRM -> renting.

But not for buying...
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:12 AM   #9
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
I've bought 28 ebooks this year and only 1 of them had no DRM. So no, in my experience it's not going away.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:05 AM   #10
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Our library has a growing selection of "Open Epub" books, I've borrowed a few of them, DRM-free.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:07 AM   #11
glamourgenet
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
Our library has a growing selection of "Open Epub" books, I've borrowed a few of them, DRM-free.
If you have borrowed a library book, it contains DRM - you appear to be suggesting that because the book can be read on a large number of devices, it doesn't have DRM; without DRM, a library book cannot be returned to the library. DRM allows the library book to have a 'timer' within it that counts how long you've had it checked out for.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:40 AM   #12
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamourgenet View Post
If you have borrowed a library book, it contains DRM - you appear to be suggesting that because the book can be read on a large number of devices, it doesn't have DRM; without DRM, a library book cannot be returned to the library. DRM allows the library book to have a 'timer' within it that counts how long you've had it checked out for.
I believe that spindlegirl is correct.

Quote:
... you appear to be suggesting that because the book can be read on a large number of devices, it doesn't have DRM...
She isn't suggesting that. There is no DRM on an Open EPub.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:01 AM   #13
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Here is the definition of Open eBooks from OverDrive's press release when the new format was announced. These books still mean one copy = one user for check-out. They cannot be returned early like DRM'ed books which has been a recent topic of discussion on MR.

Quote:
Open eBooks: DRM-free eBooks in both EPUB and PDF formats are being added to OverDrive's catalog for libraries. These OverDrive Open eBooks will be compatible with nearly any eBook reader or software that can display EPUB and PDF files. Titles from Harlequin's Carina Press, Saddleback Educational Publishing, and Rourke Publishing will be among the first DRM-free eBooks available to libraries.

Last edited by Bookworm_Girl; 03-20-2013 at 09:03 AM.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:25 AM   #14
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
There is no DRM on open epub books. Occasionally I've forgotten I had the book and deleted it months later. I also was able to convert it to mobi and read it on my kindle during the time. With drm-free books it is up to the borrower to respect the guidelines.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:44 AM   #15
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Quote:
Actually I downloaded an audiobook from my library's Overdrive server recently and was pretty surprised to note that it was just regular mp3 files - no DRM at all. This was for a popular, big-publishing-house title first released a few years ago.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote