Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-04-2012, 10:38 PM   #9481
Shayne Parkinson
Author
Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Charles Schulz $20 million
Charles Schultz is correct, and the amount is close enough for a second point - #4, $25 million
Shayne Parkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:40 PM   #9482
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Michael Jackson earnings guess $200 million
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:42 PM   #9483
Shayne Parkinson
Author
Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Forbes Magazine publishes an annual list of the highest-earning estates of no-longer-living people. From the most recent (2011) list:

- One point for each correct name
- One point for getting the person's (or rather the estate's) 2011 earnings correct to within the nearest $5 million for amounts over $10 million, or the nearest

$1 million for amounts of $10 million or less.

1. Michael Jackson Bilbo1967
2. Elvis Presley Daithi
3. Marilyn Monroe Hamlet53
4. Charles Schultz Fbone $25 million Fbone
5= John Lennon Daithi
5= Elizabeth Taylor norway1456
7. [clue: died in the 1950s]
8. Theodor Geisel Issybird
9= Jimi Hendrix norway1456
9= Stieg Larsson Daithi

Last edited by Shayne Parkinson; 10-04-2012 at 11:12 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:42 PM   #9484
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Complete guesses:

Andy Warhol $10 million
Steve McQueen $10 million
Old 10-04-2012, 10:49 PM   #9485
Shayne Parkinson
Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Complete guesses:

Andy Warhol $10 million
Steve McQueen $10 million
No to both.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:03 PM   #9486
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayne Parkinson View Post
7. [clue: died in the 1950s]
Django Reinhardt?
George Orwell?

Quote:
7. [clue: died in the 1970s]
Janis Joplin?
Jimmy Hendrix?
Iznogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:11 PM   #9487
Shayne Parkinson
Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by norway1456 View Post
Django Reinhardt?
George Orwell?

Janis Joplin?
Jimmy Hendrix?
Jimi Hendrix is correct! He's 9th equal on the list.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:06 AM   #9488
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Akio Morita?
Konosuke Matsushita?

But I guess they only go on numbers they can obtain from IRS. Otherwise these two names would be up there, even above Michael Jackson.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:17 AM   #9489
Shayne Parkinson
Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Akio Morita?
Konosuke Matsushita?

But I guess they only go on numbers they can obtain from IRS. Otherwise these two names would be up there, even above Michael Jackson.
Sorry, no to both.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:23 AM   #9490
Shayne Parkinson
Author

I rather thought #7 would be the last to be identified - it took me by surprise when I read the list.

This person is very well-known, but not as a performer or a fiction writer.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:09 AM   #9491
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?

Is #7 a non-fiction writer like Edgar Hoover, Harry Truman or Alfred Kinsey?
Old 10-05-2012, 03:44 AM   #9492
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I'm with you. I still have not read The Hobbit nor Lord of the Rings, and have no interest in doing so. I've tried several times to read the Dresden books, but can't get past the first 50 pages... That sort of magical world holds no appeal for me. I wish it did. I have a lot of reportedly wonderful reading available, but alas...

Stitchawl
It's not actually that I dislike the books (in fact I really like the Hobbit, which I read to my brother when I was younger, and then my kids more recently - less fond of LOTR which took me two goes to get through), but it was the fact that it was the only topic of conversation amongst the crowd I was hanging around with, and drove me nuts.

I have had to look up #7, and must say I'm hugely surprised by this one.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:00 AM   #9493
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Sorry, no to both.
As stated I didn't think they would be on it, but that just goes to show that the list has a complete US bias.

The estate of Gad Rausing (Tetra Pak, or your milk and juice cartons) generates some $800 milion a year, I bet he isn't on the list either.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:18 AM   #9494
Shayne Parkinson
Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
As stated I didn't think they would be on it, but that just goes to show that the list has a complete US bias.

The estate of Gad Rausing (Tetra Pak, or your milk and juice cartons) generates some $800 milion a year, I bet he isn't on the list either.
I'm sure you're right about the US-centric nature of the list.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:19 AM   #9495
Shayne Parkinson
Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post

I have had to look up #7, and must say I'm hugely surprised by this one.
I was, too!