Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-12-2012, 06:34 AM   #1216
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
I just did a sync of my Touch and no update to 2.1.1 for me either.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:29 AM   #1217
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
There is no 2.1.1 update being released in Canada as far as I know. I have no idea how someone bought a device in Canada with this as the "base" firmware--maybe they got a device that should have gone to Japan???
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:30 AM   #1218
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
There is no 2.1.1 update being released in Canada as far as I know. I have no idea how someone bought a device in Canada with this as the "base" firmware--maybe they got a device that should have gone to Japan???
That is the best guess I can come up with!

I haven't paid much attention to the new Kobos (just in case I get Glo-envy like some others on here!) Do we know if they ship with the same FW as the KT?
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:59 AM   #1219
Slartibartfaust
Enthusiast
Slartibartfaust began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyvros View Post
That's weird. I have 2.1.1 on mine, and the dog ear thing still works. I don't know about KEPUBs, though, as all my books are sideloaded.
Weird, just turned mine on this morning and dog ear is working again
i will chalk it up to one of kobo's sweet lil idiosyncrasies lol

(the margin page numbers now over lap body text, but i have font set rather large)
Slartibartfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:16 AM   #1220
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfaust View Post
(the margin page numbers now over lap body text, but i have font set rather large)
Did you know that you can turn the margin page numbers off? Go to Settings>Reading Settings>Page 2 of 2 (at the bottom of the page), and uncheck the box.

Also, there has been quite a lot written around the KT threads about poor margin control.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:27 AM   #1221
Slartibartfaust
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakcrew View Post
Did you know that you can turn the margin page numbers off? Go to Settings>Reading Settings>Page 2 of 2 (at the bottom of the page), and uncheck the box.

Also, there has been quite a lot written around the KT threads about poor margin control.

yes i was aware,however turning it off (unchecking) has no effect
I think it is indeed a margin issue as i have poor eyesight and my font is rather large
Old 09-12-2012, 10:27 AM   #1222
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakcrew View Post
In general, the margin control issues have been related to calibre formatted or user formatted books--not kepubs or ePUBs with their original style sheets (with or without DRM)
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:39 AM   #1223
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
I find when I change the setting it does not take effect until I return to the Touch's home page and reopen the book.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:44 AM   #1224
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
I think it is indeed a margin issue as i have poor eyesight and my font is rather large
Okay - I hope you didn't mind me mentioning it!

Thanks for the comment, taming. I haven't had any trouble with the margins (or, at least, they don't bother me), so I couldn't remember exactly what the issue was.

PeterT - yes, I found that with mine, but wasn't sure if it was just my bad memory!
Old 09-12-2012, 10:48 AM   #1225
Slartibartfaust
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I find when I change the setting it does not take effect until I return to the Touch's home page and reopen the book.
bingo! problem solved
thanks

Edit:

"Okay - I hope you didn't mind me mentioning it!"
oh no , not at all heh
(after-all one would think it would work on the fly if one was aware of the setting)

Last edited by Slartibartfaust; 09-12-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:00 PM   #1226
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
bingo! problem solved
thanks

Edit:

"Okay - I hope you didn't mind me mentioning it!"
oh no , not at all heh
(after-all one would think it would work on the fly if one was aware of the setting)
Isn't MR wonderful!
Old 09-12-2012, 12:00 PM   #1227
scoobertron
Connoisseur
scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo touch
Quote:
In general, the margin control issues have been related to calibre formatted or user formatted books--not kepubs or ePUBs with their original style sheets (with or without DRM)
I believe that I have had some epubs with original style sheets which had margin issues. Or rather, the kobo seemed to take the epub's original margin as a starting point, before moving the text further in according to the kobo page settings. The upshot of this was that the margin would differ between books from different sources without my actually changing the settings, rather than overriding the epub-defined margin and keeping the displayed margin constant for all books - which I would think would be the preferred behaviour.

I am not sure if this is an issue with the current firmware though, I get all my reading material from feedbooks.com now.
scoobertron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:08 PM   #1228
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobertron View Post
I am not sure if this is an issue with the current firmware though, I get all my reading material from feedbooks.com now.
Are you having margin problems with epubs from feedbooks.com? Because personally, I've found them to be some of the best "behaved" epubs on the internet.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:12 PM   #1229
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I tried the my last four EPub purchases from Kobo and 2 had problems. Using the Calibre formatted EPubs, I don't have the problems.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:14 PM   #1230
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobertron View Post
Thanks for mentioning feedbooks.com, scoobertron. I hadn't discovered that library, and it looks very good!