Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 01-10-2012, 07:03 AM   #16
Gospod
Gospod began at the beginning.

Device: Odyssey
Today I bought a miniSD card and with it inside the Odyssey tried (I have faith...) to connect it to the computer. For some mysterious reason it worked! The Odyssey was recognized (and so too the miniSD card). It's been 10 minutes and it still holds... Who knows, maybe there's some relation between the (not being a) SD card and the Windows recognition problem or it's just a coincidence...
Gospod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:13 AM   #17
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several eReaders and tablets
Thanks for this piece of information! I will try it later.

For sure the problem is in the USB driver inside the device, which is responsible for exposing the FAT partition and for passing the microSD data to the host PC.
AlPe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:17 AM   #18
Gospod
Gospod began at the beginning.

Device: Odyssey
OK, they are gone. Windows doesn't say any "not recognized" stuff. They are just gone. The Odyssey still charging but it doesn't appear (nor does the miniSd card)...
Losing faith...
Gospod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:50 AM   #19
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
How do you set the screen saver?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sucah View Post
At Last Odyssey updated to Version 4.0 (build 1485), at a glance the os is better, power switch is ok, can set user screensaver (1 picture only).
Need more time to analyze.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:58 AM   #20
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
Open an image through the library. Go to the contextual menu, scroll down and select "Set as screensaver". You must have the latest firmware (1485).

As now, you can just select one image to be used as screensaver. (If you first select image X, then you select image Y, only Y will be used at every suspension of the device.) If you select none, the default set of pictures will be used.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:31 AM   #21
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
also noteworthy for the screensaverimage - once you set it you can delete the image or in my case remove the sd card and put it back into the phone it belongs. too bad the odyssey does not allow copying sd to main or back w/o using a computer.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:43 PM   #22
sucah
Connoisseur
sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK 3G, KT 3G, KPW, Odyssey HD, T1, 350, Glo, Mini, Aura HD, KPW2 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
Same with AlPe, just open your picture, choose menu and scroll up the list, at the bottom you have 'Set as Screensaver'. If you want go back to default screen you must deselect the last picture that used.
sucah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:59 PM   #23
Lupin
Enthusiast
Lupin began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Muse HD, ReMarkable
I thought that I share the rest of my findings before i return my Odyssey to Bookeen (they requested it).

When I turn page with the forward or backward buttons, the display is refreshed only periodically (I have not changed the setting). But if I turn the page by swiping the screen, the display is refreshed every time.

I have disabled the accelometer because as I read a lot in a bus while commuting in a bus. Occasinally when the bus shakes, the display turned into landscape mode. Easy to return back to portrait, but annoying. Well. You can turn the screen in landscape mode even when the accelometer is off. Try this: Turn the accelometer off. Enlarge the font or turn page by a swype AND simultaneously turn the unit sideways. You should be able to get landscape mode after few tries. The problem is that returning it back to portrait mode is not so easy: you have to try to do this again or then go to settings, turn accelometer back on and let it turn the display itself. Then back to settings and turn the accelometer back off. The latter way is easier.

The format of the book I read is e-pub.

I have not yet reported this last finding to bookeen, but I will do it shortly.

Please humor me and try these two things with your devices and report back here.

I have decided to return my unit to Bookeen as it might help them to track down these problems. I do want to have it back as otherwise it is quite good.

Last edited by Lupin; 01-13-2012 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Added information
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:28 PM   #24
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin View Post
When I turn page with the forward or backward buttons, the display is refreshed only periodically (I have not changed the setting). But if I turn the page by swiping the screen, the display is refreshed every time.
Not sure if intended, but this behavior is the norm. It is not a big deal to me, as I use the side buttons to turn page.

Quote:
I have disabled the accelometer because as I read a lot in a bus while commuting in a bus. Occasinally when the bus shakes, the display turned into landscape mode. Easy to return back to portrait, but annoying. Well. You can turn the screen in landscape mode even when the accelometer is off. Try this: Turn the accelometer off. Enlarge the font or turn page by a swype AND simultaneously turn the unit sideways. You should be able to get landscape mode after few tries. The problem is that returning it back to portrait mode is not so easy: you have to try to do this again or then go to settings, turn accelometer back on and let it turn the display itself. Then back to settings and turn the accelometer back off. The latter way is easier.
Nope, what you are describing is not a bug.

Even with the accelerometer off, you can easily turn the orientation, but you are probably doing it the wrong way. You can rotate the screen orientation by touching it with two fingers: one that keeps touching the same point and the other one describing a semicircle around the first one. The direction of the gesture (clockwise or counterclockwise) decides the screen rotation.

Please read the manual (it is pre-loaded on your Odyssey).
Old 01-13-2012, 04:25 PM   #25
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Like AlPe said that is normal behavior on every Odyssey. The default setting for page refresh is set for every 5 or 10 pages (can't remember). It would be nice if a future update makes this consistant. I fixed that problem by setting it to refresh every page - now tapping, button, and swipe does the same. Unfortunately all Pearl displays including the one the Odyssey uses has annoying ghosting artifacts if page is not completely refreshed.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:04 AM   #26
Lupin
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlPe View Post
Even with the accelerometer off, you can easily turn the orientation, but you are probably doing it the wrong way. You can rotate the screen orientation by touching it with two fingers: one that keeps touching the same point and the other one describing a semicircle around the first one. The direction of the gesture (clockwise or counterclockwise) decides the screen rotation.

Please read the manual (it is pre-loaded on your Odyssey).
I have read it. Just looked it up again. Well I guess it's there. On chapter "2.2 About your Cybook Odyssey" is mentioned "rotate" without any further description. On "3.2 Touch Screen interface" this is not described. As I have not had similar touch screen device before, this was new to me.

Anyway, thank you for the info. Screen's orientation change is not an issue anymore.

As for the screen refresh, in my opinion it should behave the same regardless of your interface choice (buttons or touch screen). It is not an big issue to me either, just a bug.I usually use buttons to change the page.

I'll have to ask Bookeen if it is really necessary to return the device I really do not want to be without it for unknown time. I carry it everywhere in my pocket (winter coat has big pockets).
Old 01-14-2012, 06:12 AM   #27
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Quote:
It's "Works as Design" don't ask me why, but swipe will always flash, where taping and using the button use the user preference. There is no solution for the swipe.
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:06 AM   #28
Lupin
Enthusiast

Who said "Works as Design"? Bookeen? Does anybody know why the screen has to be refreshed every time you swipe it?
Old 01-14-2012, 09:16 AM   #29
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis

Quote:
I have read it. Just looked it up again. Well I guess it's there. On chapter "2.2 About your Cybook Odyssey" is mentioned "rotate" without any further description. On "3.2 Touch Screen interface" this is not described. As I have not had similar touch screen device before, this was new to me.
Agreed, it is not the best manual I've ever read.

Quote:
I'll have to ask Bookeen if it is really necessary to return the device I really do not want to be without it for unknown time. I carry it everywhere in my pocket (winter coat has big pockets).
Well, even if you send your Odyssey to Bookeen, they would not do anything about it. Every Odyssey will behave like yours. Just wait for a future firmware update that will fix that. (But I cannot promise that they are going to "fix" it.) If you want, write them about this issue using their customer assistance form: http://bookeen.com/en/supportcontact/
Old 01-14-2012, 04:46 PM   #30
Lupin
Enthusiast

I have already written to them. My fourth mail to them was sent today. They have even responded to my questions, although it takes a few days before they respond. it is good to know that mine reader's problems are not unique as it is more likely they will fix these issues. So if nothing else comes up, I think I will keep this reader. Sure the software is a bit "work in progress", but as long as they keep supporting the device with fixes and enhancements there should not be reason to worry.