Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-20-2011, 04:19 PM   #61
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Well after using my Kindle Fire for about 5 days I can say honestly that I'm in Love!

It has virtually replaced my Xoom and is much lighter/smaller/easier (The 10" Xoom screen though is the best for websurfing and pdf's -- but the Fire certainly suffices no major issues just sometimes requires zooming or shifting pages.

The Bookreading is superb, it does my email and forums with no problems, the video is WONDERFUL and I'm probably a lifetime convert to Prime. I began watching Firefly first episode on the Fire, moved to my real TV (Vizio that has the Amazon App) -- it automatically syncs between them) -- and finished watching it there, so now of course I have to watch the remaining episodes.

one a scale of 1-10 I give this device a 12!

Sorry for the seeming fan-boi posting, but it really is that good.
[/url]
I love mine too. It's a great little device! I at first didn't like the Kindle app due to its brightness it's still too bright but Screen Filter app helps alot. I haven't read on my K4 since I got the Fire.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 04:22 PM   #62
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
- It has virtually replaced my Xoom and is much lighter/smaller/easier (The 10" Xoom screen though is the best for websurfing and pdf's -- but the Fire certainly suffices no major issues just sometimes requires zooming or shifting pages.
Oh no! Your Xoom has been replaced? I love my Fire but my Xoom is still king! (especially since it is 4G)
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 04:30 PM   #63
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I love mine too. It's a great little device! I at first didn't like the Kindle app due to its brightness it's still too bright but Screen Filter app helps alot. I haven't read on my K4 since I got the Fire.
Me too! I guess I better go spend some quality time with my K4 so it doesn't feel orphaned! Today I decided to put my K3 up for adoption though.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:33 PM   #64
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Me too! I guess I better go spend some quality time with my K4 so it doesn't feel orphaned! Today I decided to put my K3 up for adoption though.
I'm thinking of doing that too but right now they aren't going for much. So it is really worth it?
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:03 PM   #65
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Oh no! Your Xoom has been replaced? I love my Fire but my Xoom is still king! (especially since it is 4G)

Last edited by kennyc; 11-20-2011 at 06:09 PM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:00 PM   #66
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
The only problem I have had with the Fire is that I cannot easily restrict the purchase of content by users. Amazon has been patient as I experimented (refunding every inadvertent purchase) and claims to be working on an update that will address the problem...
Quote:
At this time we do not have a way of preventing anyone from making purchases on your Kindle Fire while they are using your device. You can set a password on the device itself that locks it, but it will prevent anyone from accessing it.

This is something that our Developers are working on so that all purchases would require a password or pin number. I have submitted your information and request as well to them and I hope in the next update for the Kindle Fire this will be made available.
I'm going to give them a pass on this and rate this decice, on a scale of 1 to 10 an...eleven.

Need to start with the price. It IS a BIG deal. $200 is the right price for a tablet. People have been trying to sell tablets at prices comparable to the iPad and it hasn't worked. Only an Apple fanboy would pay that much for an entertainment device. Amazon figured out how to make these things for the same money as Nintendo and Sony get for their entertainment devices. I can give one to each kid instead of hovering over kids waiting for a turn to play missle command. That's a big deal and I AM going to buy four of these.

It's the right size. I have been playing with handheld computers since the Newton. I feel like Goldilocks -- to small to use or too big to carry. This 7" screen is just right. It slips into my back pocket easily (yeah gorilla glass), feels like a paperback in portrait mode, and is big enough for web browsing or watching a movie in landscape orientation.

It's ready to use right out of the box. Open it, charge it, start your prime trial, install some games, download some books, and watch a movie. A very nontechnical person can enjoy the Fire as Amazon intended.

It's versatile. For those with a little technical ability, the Fire can do just about anything. It's been rooted. People are runnig a nook app on it. Someone is running Win 3.11. I'm streaming movies from my PC using eMIT. What can't this thing do?

Most important, it does all of these things well. The screen is beautiful and battery life is generous. I get the interface paradigm -- reminds me of the Win7 Start Menu with it's pinned favorites and recent apps and docs.

The app store is amazing and simple to use. There are lots of high quality apps and media and lots of free stuff. You can buy a Fire then never spend another penny. For $79/year, you can watch unlimited TV and movies.

If you do not like Amazon's offerings, move on. The fire runs apps for competitor's products. I enjoy Netflix and Barnes and Noble content on my Fire. I can also install unapproved apps (at my own risk).

I love the internet radio and newstand apps. For a few dollars, I can run very capable office apps on my Fire. The kids love the games. We've installed math, SAT, and spanish apps. I found an app to help me tie knots when my boy scout is at school and another one to help me sign to a deaf kid.

Cameras and GPS hardware would be nice. Better parental controls would be welcome. Complain all you like. This is an amazing piece of hardware that anyone can afford to buy and own. Well done Amazon!
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:05 PM   #67
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Quote:
Web Browsing

I give it a 7. It is a small screen device so I understand there will be limitations. However I had to turn off the browsing acceleration as the Amazon servers seemed to drag down performance, often causing pages to refuse to load. With acceleration off, ironically, the browser works much better but it is still not great by any means. Opera Mini loaded and works a bit better in some cases.

After 3 days of reading and implementing browser hints from MR members I have greatly improved my browsing experience in the stock browser. Additionally I have added Opera Mini, though I like the stock browser best now that I have it set up to work better. I now give browsing a 9 or 10.
After 3 more days of use I would upgrade my experience and rating of the KFire to a very solid 9. Keep in mind though that I don't use the music and video functions. I updated a few earlier comments I made. Updated comments are in blue in the above quote.
What hints did you implement to improve the browsing?

Thanks,
Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:42 PM   #68
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Today I noticed there's no "Add to Wish List" when browsing the bookstore in the reader app. There's a convenient link to "View this title on Amazon.com" though.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:20 PM   #69
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
What hints did you implement to improve the browsing?

Thanks,
Carol
I unchecked the Accelerate Page Loading option and I set the Desktop or Mobile View to Optimize for Mobile View.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:50 AM   #70
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
I just received one in Australia. I love it - after reading all the complaints my expectations had reduced a lot, so I am very happy with it. The browser is really fast for me and I haven't even tweaked it yet.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:27 AM   #71
Art's Tart
Art's Tart can name that song in three notesArt's Tart can name that song in three notesArt's Tart can name that song in three notesArt's Tart can name that song in three notesArt's Tart can name that song in three notesArt's Tart can name that song in three notesArt's Tart can name that song in three notesArt's Tart can name that song in three notesArt's Tart can name that song in three notesArt's Tart can name that song in three notesArt's Tart can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle 3G, Kindle Fire
Unhappy

The Fire may not be a good fit for me.

I just got my first Smart Phone, (i-Phone) and had no trouble learning to use it at all. It is loaded down with apps and I love it. I love it so much I jumped to buy the Fire the minute it went up for pre-order. Using it has not been the seamless experience I expected, given how great the e-readers (K 2i and 3G) have functioned.

I downloaded apps that the product page said would work on the Fire but don't. One said I needed to enable the GPS...there is no GPS on the Fire. The other two just don't work. I can open them, put in information, but it is never there when I go back.

I have never used an Android device and I find the Fire experience daunting. I thought I would be able to use it "out of the box" and have the same great experience I had with my Kindles and smart phone.

My first books took hours to load. I bought them in the early evening and they didn't show up until the next morning. Books I own already took 5 minutes to download from the cloud. I'm reading how to do sideloading and what I need to have in order to have useful apps, but I'm not experienced enough to understand a lot of this. Compared to the Kindle app for the i-Phone, the reader experience on the Fire is such a disappointment. It is a struggle to get the pages turned, to go back and forth between pages or to get the Home button to come up when you need it.

I have a POP email account and emails with attached PDFs and photos won't download on the Fire. When trying to download a book from the cloud, I'll get the message I'll have to try later. Then it will start downloading again before I have a chance to say okay or try again. We have a broadband account and all our other wireless devices work fine.

Frankly, using the Fire is a struggle and I don't see any particular feature that is so great I could overlook the all the things I am struggling with.

I am so disappointed. All I wanted was a device I could use for web browsing, apps for weather and specifically for hurricane info, reading books where color photographs are essential and reading email. None of these can be done seamlessly on the Fire.

Are these issues Amazon can fix with software upgrades, and if so, what are the chances it will be done before my 30 days expire?
Art's Tart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:39 AM   #72
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
It sounds like you need to do factory reset. If that doesn't work, return/exchange it.

Doesn't appear that you have a functioning device at all. Struggling to turn pages...

Don't install any apps until you confirm the stock functionality is there. Then you'll be able to isolate the problem if a specific app is causing the slowdown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art's Tart View Post
The Fire may not be a good fit for me.

I just got my first Smart Phone, (i-Phone) and had no trouble learning to use it at all. It is loaded down with apps and I love it. I love it so much I jumped to buy the Fire the minute it went up for pre-order. Using it has not been the seamless experience I expected, given how great the e-readers (K 2i and 3G) have functioned.

I downloaded apps that the product page said would work on the Fire but don't. One said I needed to enable the GPS...there is no GPS on the Fire. The other two just don't work. I can open them, put in information, but it is never there when I go back.

I have never used an Android device and I find the Fire experience daunting. I thought I would be able to use it "out of the box" and have the same great experience I had with my Kindles and smart phone.

My first books took hours to load. I bought them in the early evening and they didn't show up until the next morning. Books I own already took 5 minutes to download from the cloud. I'm reading how to do sideloading and what I need to have in order to have useful apps, but I'm not experienced enough to understand a lot of this. Compared to the Kindle app for the i-Phone, the reader experience on the Fire is such a disappointment. It is a struggle to get the pages turned, to go back and forth between pages or to get the Home button to come up when you need it.

I have a POP email account and emails with attached PDFs and photos won't download on the Fire. When trying to download a book from the cloud, I'll get the message I'll have to try later. Then it will start downloading again before I have a chance to say okay or try again. We have a broadband account and all our other wireless devices work fine.

Frankly, using the Fire is a struggle and I don't see any particular feature that is so great I could overlook the all the things I am struggling with.

I am so disappointed. All I wanted was a device I could use for web browsing, apps for weather and specifically for hurricane info, reading books where color photographs are essential and reading email. None of these can be done seamlessly on the Fire.

Are these issues Amazon can fix with software upgrades, and if so, what are the chances it will be done before my 30 days expire?

Last edited by SCION; 11-21-2011 at 10:43 AM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:11 AM   #73
Art's Tart
Art's Tart can name that song in three notesArt's Tart can name that song in three notesArt's Tart can name that song in three notesArt's Tart can name that song in three notesArt's Tart can name that song in three notesArt's Tart can name that song in three notesArt's Tart can name that song in three notesArt's Tart can name that song in three notesArt's Tart can name that song in three notesArt's Tart can name that song in three notesArt's Tart can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle 3G, Kindle Fire
Thanks, Scion. I'm going to contact Amazon. I have a Prime Library book I borrowed to try before buying and I'm concerned about not being allowed to download it again if I do a reset.

I hope the Factory Reset will do the trick.
Art's Tart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:12 AM   #74
jswinden
Nameless Being

@Art's Tart, It sounds like most of your problems are related to WiFi issues. No device based on the cloud will work well when WiFi isn't working well. I would call CS. It could be something you can fix, perhaps a router issue, or you might need to exchange it. One major slow down could be the 6.1 update. If it is taking hours to download small books it could take days to download the major 6.1 update therefore causing your system to slow to a crawl. BTW, WiFi on broadband should be lightning fast not turtle slow.

Also, Android is more complex and much more powerful than iOS. So it will take a while to get use to it, but in the end it will allow so much customization that a closed iOS can never allow. I think you will like it.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:31 AM   #75
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Yep, what Scion and Jack said. Sounds like possible wifi issues and while I've had no problems at all (in fact I just ordered 3 more Fires for presents!) I did read a rumor that some people were having wifi issues.

If you call customer service, I'm sure they'll take care of you.

Please do let us know what happens.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote