Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 04-04-2011, 06:40 PM   #46
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
kiwidude: When doing the encoding use the 'ignore' error handler.

encoded = url.encode('latin1', 'ignore')

This will ignore unencodable chars.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:47 PM   #47
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Thanks very much Kovid, love it when there is a simple answer

I've made the change to my version. If dwanthny can give me one of his titles that fails I will test it then post.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:07 PM   #48
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Looks like an encoding issue to do with the book title or author. Can you post an example book?
I'll keep a list and when I get a few I'll post back. Just the titles/authors as listed in my library?

Quote:
I am sure Kovid could advise on this but it looks to me like your title contains a character that is not valid in the latin-1 charset. So a simple edit of the title would be one crude way to work around it.
This may be true, but it is always the same error with the same character (u'\u2019'). If I read it right it is a "right quote"? I don't see any odd characters in the titles. There doesn't seem to be anything I can see that causes this. Next time I run across this I'll delete the title and author and type them back in by hand.

Update: If I choose to do anything IRL all of a sudden I'm way behind the curve and Kiwidude and Kovid have solved the problem.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 04-04-2011 at 07:14 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:34 PM   #49
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Like I indicated I can't see anything odd. I even changed case, deleted and retyped etc...

Code:
These two have an error u'\u2019'
Death of a Valentine  -  M. C. Beaton
Another Man's Moccasins  -  Craig Johnson

These two have an error  u'\u2014'
Kindness Goes Unpunished  -  Craig Johnson
Angelic  - Kelley Armstrong
Update: This was a good use of the Temp Mark plugin.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 04-04-2011 at 07:43 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:59 PM   #50
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmmm... as you say there is nothing obvious about those titles and they work fine on my machine.

Bonus points are awarded however for your use of the Temp Marker plugin

I will attach the new plugin version to this post (temporarily) for you to try. If it still doesn't solve your issue, maybe you could create a fresh library, copy just those titles above to it and then zip/email me the metadata.db?

Last edited by kiwidude; 04-04-2011 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Removed the attachment, released on first post
Old 04-04-2011, 08:12 PM   #51
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Bonus points are awarded however for your use of the Temp Marker plugin
Woohooo!!! Bonus points. Better than karma.

Quote:
I will attach the new plugin version to this post (temporarily) for you to try.
That plugin solved the problem for the 4 listed. I tried a random sample of 20 more and they all worked fine.

Thanks.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:31 PM   #52
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

1.6.3 Released

As per the recent posts above on this thread should resolve an apaprently long-standing issue of titles/authors failing to encode correctly throwing an error when linking to a website.

Thanks to Kovid for the solution and dwanthny for reporting/testing.

@dwanthny - I wonder what it is about those book examples you gave - some non-visible text perhaps? Glad you are now sorted.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:40 PM   #53
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
@dwanthny - I wonder what it is about those book examples you gave - some non-visible text perhaps? Glad you are now sorted.
I have no idea but recently I ran into it frequently. I deleted and manually retyped titles with no success. I was using the Google images search to go to Amazon.

Whatever the reason it is now a thing of the past.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:36 PM   #54
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

v1.6.4 Released

Changes in this release:
  • Support skinning of icons by putting them in a plugin name subfolder of local resources/images
Old 04-12-2011, 04:28 PM   #55
bookfanmd
Addict
bookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 300/505/T1 Nook STWG Kobo Glo Kobo Aura HD KDX iPad1 K3 KT PW2
Kiwidude,

This is a great plugin. I'd like to add some additional sites but it's asking me questions I don't know the answer to when I try to customize. I looked at your pictures in the first post but am still confused and I don't know what a .png is. Could you please list step by step for adding a new site and indicate what goes on those boxes? I'd like to add Fictionwise and some of my spicy books sites like Samhain. Sorry for my confusion.

Thanks!!

Last edited by bookfanmd; 04-12-2011 at 04:32 PM.
bookfanmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:08 PM   #56
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@bookfanmd - I will add a tutorial to the first post, look for it in an hour or so. The .png is just an image file for the icon to display in the menu. Sometimes you can grab the icon directly from the website, other times you make your own. Dinner is burning, look for the new section later and please feedback if it helps or what you are still stuck on.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:37 PM   #57
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@bookfanmd - I've included a whole step by step tutorial to the first post for how I setup Fictionwise.com just now, which is one of the most complex examples.

Attached is the exported zip file for the "Fictionwise for Author" and "Fictionwise for Book" menu items I created. You can import these yourself by downloading the zip to your PC and then a right-click "Import" from the plugin configuration dialog.

This stuff isn't trivial but it isn't immensely difficult either. Just some patience for experimentation and a little html knowledge is required. Hopefully if you follow through the tutorial it will help you understand where everything comes from for using with your own web pages. As always feedback is appreciated.
Attached Files
File Type: zip fictionwise.zip (1.4 KB, 602 views)
Old 04-12-2011, 09:09 PM   #58
bookfanmd
Addict
bookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
@bookfanmd - I've included a whole step by step tutorial to the first post for how I setup Fictionwise.com just now, which is one of the most complex examples.

Attached is the exported zip file for the "Fictionwise for Author" and "Fictionwise for Book" menu items I created. You can import these yourself by downloading the zip to your PC and then a right-click "Import" from the plugin configuration dialog.

This stuff isn't trivial but it isn't immensely difficult either. Just some patience for experimentation and a little html knowledge is required. Hopefully if you follow through the tutorial it will help you understand where everything comes from for using with your own web pages. As always feedback is appreciated.
Thanks so much for your help. I'm really glad you did Fictionwise, I don't think I could have figured that one out. I tried 4 other sites and was able to get all working but one. That one took me to the search menu though so it will be OK. I may try it again later. I set one up for Smashwords that I was going to upload here but I have to figure out how to upload first. Thanks again, I've loaded most of your plug-ins to my calibre and they are wonderful!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Smashwords_title.zip (7.8 KB, 556 views)

Last edited by bookfanmd; 04-12-2011 at 10:01 PM. Reason: added updated plug-in for www.smashwords.com title search
Old 04-12-2011, 09:14 PM   #59
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Glad you found the tutorial useful. What was the url of the site you had problems with, maybe I can give you some pointers.

If you want to upload any zips to the forums with a post like I did above, when you post click Go Advanced and then click on the paperclick icon or scroll down to "Manage attachments" (both do the same thing)
Old 04-12-2011, 09:30 PM   #60
bookfanmd
Addict

Quote:
Glad you found the tutorial useful. What was the url of the site you had problems with, maybe I can give you some pointers.

If you want to upload any zips to the forums with a post like I did above, when you post click Go Advanced and then click on the paperclick icon or scroll down to "Manage attachments" (both do the same thing)
I was trying to do www.torquerepress.com. I came up with http://www.torquerebooks.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&keyword ={title} for a title search but it takes me to a search page instead of a book. I tried the same coding format with author with the same results.

Tags
book details, search the internet