Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-05-2007, 09:27 AM   #1
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Tibetan?

Took my iLiad along to take notes at a talk given by a Tibetan Buddhist monk. After the talk he approached me and asked what I had been using for a notepad. He was fascinated and asked for a demo. Last night I received a call from an assistant of his asking where to look on the net for e ink devices and asking if he could load Tibetan documents generated on a computer onto it. Well how would I know. So thats my question.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 10:54 AM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I'll reveal my own ignorance by admitting that I have absolutely no idea what language they speak in Tibet -- what sort of character set do they have?

PDF files with embedded fonts should work regardless, but I don't know beyond that. Come to think of it, I'm not sure I know what's involved in changing fonts on the iLiad. I recall that iRex can switch a "standard" iLiad over to a "Chinese Language" unit via their IDS downloads, but I don't know how far that gets you ....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 11:01 AM   #3
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Tibetan usually uses an indic script. Tibetan isn't the same as Chinese, but a system that can support Chinese is probably supporting Unicode and at least is supporting multibyte characters, so I'm pretty sure the Tibetan documents would be ok, once the fonts are loaded. Here's a sample, in case someone has a chance to check: དབུ་ཅན་

More here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tibetan_script

Last edited by nekokami; 11-05-2007 at 11:02 AM. Reason: fonts
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 11:05 AM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Tibetan usually uses an indic script. .... Here's a sample, in case someone has a chance to check: དབུ་ཅན་
My what a pretty language, thanks for the link nekokami, I don't think I'm likely to learn Tibetan (looks like Oracle and .NET is my next "language" project), but the script really is pretty.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 11:06 AM   #5
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
It is, isn't it?
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 12:51 AM   #6
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Thanks everyone for the info. I will pass it on to Geshe Phende (the monks title and name). It is a pretty language, I agree.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote