Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-30-2010, 12:34 AM   #1
HelenaJole
Connoisseur
HelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3
There's a review on Amazon with somebody complaining about the Korean font on Kindle

Now I'm curious to see what it looks like. Any way we could get a picture?
HelenaJole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:09 AM   #2
dsip
Connoisseur
dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Between Devices..
Create a mobi file with Korean in it and I'm sure someone will upload a screenshot.
dsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2010, 11:37 AM   #3
ylsul
Connoisseur
ylsul is on a distinguished road

There's a link to this blog that summarizes some of the complaints. I guess people find the korean font very hard to read.

http://ireaderreview.com/2010/08/30/...ers-at-amazon/
ylsul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:04 PM   #4
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
I've found some Korean text on the web and saved as text file. Here's screenshot

Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:26 PM   #5
HelenaJole
Connoisseur
HelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enough

Thanks! Hmmm... yeah, that's kind of clunky-looking. I wonder if a font-hack in Korean would work.
Advert
Old 08-30-2010, 12:50 PM   #6
ylsul
Connoisseur
ylsul is on a distinguished road

Goodness, the korean font does look really bad! There's also some problem with correct spacing (kerning?). Being a korean reader, I don't think I'd like to read korean texts with that kind of font.
ylsul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:38 PM   #7
HelenaJole
Connoisseur

No, that wouldn't be a pleasant reading experience at all.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:56 PM   #8
HelenaJole
Connoisseur

So I saw that the K2 hacks don't seem to work on the K3. Are there any other alternatives to a bad font? I saw something about books with embedded fonts--how does that work?
Old 08-30-2010, 07:44 PM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenaJole View Post
I saw something about books with embedded fonts--how does that work?
The MOBI (AZW) format does not support embedded fonts. You can embed fonts in PDFs, which would work ok if you format them for the screen size (no table of contents or hyperlinks though). Amazon's TOPAZ format can embed fonts, but it isn't available outside Amazon.

My guess is that there will be some K3 hacks this week, unless Amazon has really locked down the device.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:55 PM   #10
HelenaJole
Connoisseur

if I wanted to try creating a PDF, would you recommend Calibre or something else?