Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-17-2010, 02:12 AM   #1
garbanzo
bean
garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Boox Nova 2
double cover images

i can't figure out how Calibre deals with cover images during conversion. half the time i get a double image, but sometimes i get this odd Reader Works image which i really don't want.

i would like Calibre to leave covers alone. if there's one there, then let it be, and if none exists, then don't add a generic one.

how can i achieve this?

thanks!
garbanzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:29 AM   #2
colinsky
Addict
colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
There is a "No default cover" (don't create a generic cover page) option in the Epub Output options.
colinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2010, 02:44 AM   #3
rollercoaster
Zealot
rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2
AFAIK,

when you add a book, calibre tries to extract the cover from the book and a lot of .lit .mobi and other files have that default reader works image or some releasing group image.

change/remove the cover and then convert to a new format then the new cover image is used instead of the one present in the file you are converting from.

use the download cover feature to get good cover.

Poweruser: I had this problem so I went digging into the library folder (CAUTION!!) and deleted those covers. it is easier to find the covers with windows search, switch to thumbnail preview and then delete them. see Win7 method here. similar for other OSes
rollercoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:50 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbanzo View Post
i can't figure out how Calibre deals with cover images during conversion. half the time i get a double image, but sometimes i get this odd Reader Works image which i really don't want.
Calibre only does what tell it to do during conversions. If you check use cover from source file then it won't add the cover from the database. If you uncheck it then it will add your choice of cover. If you end up with two covers you may have to check the remove first image under structure detection.

If you have an "odd Reader Works image" it was there when you added the book to Calibre.

Quote:
i would like Calibre to leave covers alone. if there's one there, then let it be, and if none exists, then don't add a generic one.
If you check both "use cover from source file" and "No default cover" (as explained by colinsky) Calibre will not mess with your covers.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:56 AM   #5
garbanzo
bean
garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollercoaster View Post
change/remove the cover and then convert to a new format then the new cover image is used instead of the one present in the file you are converting from.
how do i remove the cover without converting it to an editable format? i really don't want covers at all, they just take up space...
Advert
Old 03-19-2010, 01:39 AM   #6
rollercoaster
Zealot
rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
how do i remove the cover without converting it to an editable format? i really don't want covers at all, they just take up space...
you can search for and delete 'cover.jpg' files from your library folder (WITH CAUTION)
rollercoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:19 AM   #7
garbanzo
bean

actually i have decided to go exclusively RTF, so covers are no longer an issue. if images remain after converting, they just get deleted during my manual cleanup and reformatting of the file...
Old 03-19-2010, 08:25 PM   #8
Iankilmister
Iankilmister began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Im having this trouble, getting double covers in the books in converting.

The books Im trying to convert are LRF created with Book Designer, and with a cover already (800x600 black and white image)
Im converting them to epub

>>> I tried checking both "use cover from source file" and "No default cover" and I get double cover

>>> Tried checking just "use cover from source file"
>>> Tried checking just "No default cover"

>>> Tried checking "use cover from source file", "No default cover" and "remove first image" under structure detection. Then I get 1 cover and a ugly empty page, whats even worse than 2 covers

Any idea what Im doing wrong, or its not possible to leave the cover as it is when converting LRF to EPUP in Calibre?

Thanks
Iankilmister is offline   Reply With Quote