Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 12-25-2010, 01:03 PM   #226
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mean_gene View Post
I'm trying to find an ebook version of the Complete Jewish Bible. This version keeps the Hebrew names intact in the NT and also has more of a kind of feel to it.

I found one here but I'm not sure if I'll be able to put it on the Kindle since it probably has DRM...
http://www.franklin.com/estore/produ...03dlda/#second
Sign up for the Jewish Publication Society's newsletter and you can get a free ebook of their 1917 edition of The Holy Scriptures According to the Masoretic Text. It has a very Hebrew perspective. Of course, there's no New Testament....
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 01:09 PM   #227
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Then there's this very nice New Testament translation by Willis Barnstone that retains the original Greek, Aramaic, and Hebrew names of individuals and books:

http://www.amazon.com/Restored-New-T.../dp/039306493X

Unfortunately it's not available as an ebook.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 12-25-2010 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 02:24 PM   #228
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mean_gene View Post
I'm trying to find an ebook version of the Complete Jewish Bible. This version keeps the Hebrew names intact in the NT and also has more of a "Hebrew perspective" kind of feel to it.

I found one here but I'm not sure if I'll be able to put it on the Kindle since it probably has DRM...
http://www.franklin.com/estore/produ...03dlda/#second
Surely no "Jewish Bible" will contain the New Testament at all.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 02:27 PM   #229
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
Thanks to all for chiming in on this topic. While it was clear for me personally, I wanted to see if my compass is completely off. Plus he said "unbiblical" but did not cite any passages. I guess he could have mentioned "Freely ye have received, freely give." Matthew 10:7-8. But I do not think that is applicable here.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 02:28 PM   #230
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Surely no "Jewish Bible" will contain the New Testament at all.
Don't know much about it but there is such a thing as Messianic Judaism.
Old 12-25-2010, 02:35 PM   #231
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, I've heard of that too, but when people talk about the "Jewish Bible" they are normally referring to the "tanakh". This is essentially the same as the Christian "Old Testament", but (other than the first five books) it's arranged in a completely different order.
Old 12-25-2010, 03:54 PM   #232
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
FWIW, he left a similar review on a different KJV, calling for a boycott of the Kindle "UNTIL there is a good usuable(sic) FREE KJV Bible available, easy to find, ready for anyone to HAVE." I'm curious about the fact that it's specifically the KJV that he's focusing on, as though the NIV or others aren't worth being free. (Yes, that sounded backwards, but you know what I mean.)

I've read this entire thread and I'm amazed by the work that Osnova has put into these Bibles, especially since he charges so little for something that has proved to be valuable to many. I'm not a Christian but I am an informal student of religion, and I plan to purchase some of Osnova's offerings very soon. It may sound odd, but I also assist my cousin with her Bible studies sometimes (she has difficulty processing some types of concepts and such) and she's recently expressed an interest in looking more deeply into differences among versions and translations, as well as commentary. DVJ for the available versions combined with Kindle's search abilities sounds like a delight compared to flipping through my many paper Bibles and Googling.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 04:05 PM   #233
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
FWIW, he left a similar review on a different KJV, calling for a boycott of the Kindle "UNTIL there is a good usuable(sic) FREE KJV Bible available, easy to find, ready for anyone to HAVE." I'm curious about the fact that it's specifically the KJV that he's focusing on, as though the NIV or others aren't worth being free. (Yes, that sounded backwards, but you know what I mean.)
A not inconsiderable number of people hold the rather curious viewpoint that the KJV is in some way "the one true Bible", even though, in modern terms, it's not terribly good at all. Beautiful language, but not a terribly accurate representation of the "original" Biblical texts. I suspect that this person holds that view.
Old 12-25-2010, 04:09 PM   #234
osnova
Kindler of the Flame

I get $1.75 from each copy sold, so "no", I am not getting rich on this (although when I was jobless about a year ago, each dollar helped). I am actually deriving "compensation" by reading feedback from people who say that they find my work useful. Too often "free" is not appreciated as much as something that you have paid for (at least this is what I have noticed with myself). Human psychology, I guess. That's why pirating is not such a huge issue as it is often described.

I also find unconvincing the argument that I somehow prevent people from "reading God's Word" by charging for it because not everybody can afford it. If somebody can afford a Kindle, then $5 is not an obstacle, right?

Last edited by osnova; 12-25-2010 at 04:14 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 04:52 PM   #235
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
snip

I've read this entire thread and I'm amazed by the work that Osnova has put into these Bibles, especially since he charges so little for something that has proved to be valuable to many. I'm not a Christian but I am an informal student of religion, and I plan to purchase some of Osnova's offerings very soon. It may sound odd, but I also assist my cousin with her Bible studies sometimes (she has difficulty processing some types of concepts and such) and she's recently expressed an interest in looking more deeply into differences among versions and translations, as well as commentary. DVJ for the available versions combined with Kindle's search abilities sounds like a delight compared to flipping through my many paper Bibles and Googling.
I found this article on translations very interesting to read. I'm really liking the NET version.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 05:06 PM   #236
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlever View Post
I found this article on translations very interesting to read. I'm really liking the NET version.
Great article - thanks!
Old 12-25-2010, 05:12 PM   #237
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by osnova View Post
I get $1.75 from each copy sold, so "no", I am not getting rich on this (although when I was jobless about a year ago, each dollar helped). I am actually deriving "compensation" by reading feedback from people who say that they find my work useful. Too often "free" is not appreciated as much as something that you have paid for (at least this is what I have noticed with myself). Human psychology, I guess. That's why pirating is not such a huge issue as it is often described.

I also find unconvincing the argument that I somehow prevent people from "reading God's Word" by charging for it because not everybody can afford it. If somebody can afford a Kindle, then $5 is not an obstacle, right?
And, of course, he can always download the KJV with no navigational aids free at Project Gutenberg, if that's all he wants.

I wonder if he expects to be paid when he works?
Old 12-25-2010, 05:20 PM   #238
osnova
Kindler of the Flame

Below are a bunch of links for your research on various translations:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English...s_of_the_Bible
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_...e_translations
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...e_translations

Some personal views:
http://thislamp.com/?p=990
http://thislamp.com/?p=98
http://www.kencollins.com/bible-t2.htm

Charts:
http://www.apbrown2.net/web/Translat...risonChart.htm
http://www.mardel.com/UserFiles/File...on%20Chart.pdf
http://www.tniv.com/about/docs/bible...ns%20chart.pdf
http://www.gentles.info/BibleHistory/BF2.pdf

Online parallel Bibles:

http://www.crosswire.org/study/parallelstudy.jsp
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...4;KJV;HCSB;ESV
http://net.bible.org/verse.php?searc...ter=3&verse=16

Exhaustive resources on English Bible translations are
Chamberlin, William J. Catalogue of English Bible Translations: A Classified Bibliography of Versions and Editions Including Books, Parts, and Old and New Testament Apocrypha and Apocryphal Books. New York: Greenwood Press, 1991.
Taliaferro, Bradford B. Bible Version Encyclopedia. Lulu.com, 2007.

Also see http://www.biblereadersmuseum.com/

Last edited by osnova; 12-25-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:28 PM   #239
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by osnova View Post
Below are a bunch of links for your research on various translations:
These will be very helpful!
Old 12-25-2010, 05:52 PM   #240
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
Any chance you're working on a DVJ version of the HCSB?
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote