Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-08-2008, 03:37 AM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Where are you going for Vacation?

So, I noticed that many people are getting an e-book reader prior to their vacation. It made me wonder:

Where is everyone going?

Flying or driving?

How do you plan to keep your e-reader safe? Buying a case, screen protector, or...?

Just curious.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 04:06 AM   #2
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Bah! Don't do holidays.
Either you have a bad time and wish you'd never gone; or you have a good time and wish you didn't have to go home - either way it's a lose/lose situation.
I shall be sitting in my back garden for the duration.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2008, 04:47 AM   #3
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I used to holiday at the same place all the time - a paradise in Oz - driving with my dogs about 1200km north to a "pet-friendly" house we'd found to stay for a couple of weeks. It was great for break from the toil and stress of work, but it was always hard to leave (the 1200km drive back home didn't help).

So, we moved there...well, here, last year. Now we live on holidays!

I bought my Iliad because I like the idea of not running out of book storage space, for read or TBR, and because my focus has been "Classics" lately and so having some electronic device meant I could get the stuff for free from the "public domain" (usually here at MR) rather than pay for the privilege of a pbook.

I will say though that sometime over the next few years we hope to go to Europe (France primarily), Thailand, Japan and maybe China (incl. Hong Kong).

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:17 AM   #4
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
I fly to Pattaya about three times per year. Last September was the last trip I made without an e-book reader. I took about 6 real books, read them, and bought several more in the mediocre Pattaya bookstores. I abandoned them all in the hotel room when I left, to save on weight. I figured that little exercise cost me about $200.

On my first trip with a Sony Reader, loaded with about 90 ebooks - I spent nothing on books the whole trip, and always had something of interest to read.

To keep my Sony safe: it's stored in a cake tin in my carry-on bag when I fly, and sealed in a ziploc bag when on the beach.

I'm really proud of the cake tin: cost only $4.95 (including a cake), it's rugged, and large enough to include basic stationery and spectacle case. And when it's closed, it doesn't look like it's worth stealing. (Unless you're a cake thief).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fruitcake tin.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	14186  
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 07:07 AM   #5
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
I'm going to my first Safari, in Tanzania. I'm bringing my Cybook, to make airport and flight times bareable. I'm just thinking if it will be prudent to carry a Cybook around in that african heat... Hmmm... Maybe I shouldn't.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2008, 09:55 AM   #6
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
I'm going nowhere exciting. Just driving 300 miles to visit my family in south Georgia in a couple of weeks. No idea what I'll do when I get there, but I hope to spend some time in the swing on the front porch with a cool drink in my hand.

My Reader will go with me, but of course I won't be reading while I drive. Audiobooks will keep me entertained while I'm stuck behind a tractor on a little two-lane road or zipping along on the highway. I don't have any special case for the Reader, just a zippered bag I made with fabric leftover from my purse (yeah, I sew).

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:05 AM   #7
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I'm going to Paris to be arrested for stalking.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:42 AM   #8
M0zza
Geek... Apparently
M0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Silver), ASUS Transformer TF300T, IPAD Air 2
I bought mine just because there are two very crappy bookstores on the island, and waiting for a delivery from the US is tediously slow. So now everything is bought over the net. So much easier.

That said my wife and I travel to and from the US and the UK often on business. As well as having a big holiday to japan a couple of months ago.

My reader has been invaluable!

Next trip is to the UK again. As I'm moving back to old blighty.

Last edited by M0zza; 07-08-2008 at 10:45 AM.
M0zza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:59 AM   #9
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I was thinking about going to chicago to be arrested for stalking, but the cops there are well know for their "exuberance" in detaining.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:20 AM   #10
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Nothing planned other going to the state fair
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:29 AM   #11
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
This year, because of laying out the cash for a new car, we are staying close to home. Last week was the second trip to the beach, and we will probably do a couple more long weekends there.

It has been 7 months since the long vacation in paradise at Puerto Vallarta at the Royal Decameron resort, highly recommend it. I recuperated there from a terrible accident on another earlier vacation. (We work hard and we vacation hard... and usually come home in a sling or cast or neck brace...)

Next year: 3 weeks in Greece!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:32 AM   #12
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
I'm going to my first Safari, in Tanzania. I'm bringing my Cybook, to make airport and flight times bareable. I'm just thinking if it will be prudent to carry a Cybook around in that african heat... Hmmm... Maybe I shouldn't.

It probably wouldn't be a good idea to leave it in the car, but that applies to pretty much anywhere in the summer. Toss it into a backpack or something to carry around with you.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:38 AM   #13
DixieGal
Hi There!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
So, I noticed that many people are getting an e-book reader prior to their vacation. It made me wonder:

Where is everyone going?

Flying or driving?

How do you plan to keep your e-reader safe? Buying a case, screen protector, or...?

Just curious.
What about you, Tad? Any plans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
I'm going to Paris to be arrested for stalking.
Pick me up a yummy chocolate-banana crepe from a filthy kiosk along the Champs Elysee. The filthier, the better. The crud on the grill gives it a crunchier texture. Seriously, it's delish.

Quote:
I was thinking about going to chicago to be arrested for stalking, but the cops there are well know for their "exuberance" in detaining.
Pick me up a deep dish cheese and pepperoni pizza from the Exchequer Pub, under the Ell, just at the edge of DePaul campus.

Why do all my vacation memories revolve around eating? And now I flung a craving on myself!!
Old 07-08-2008, 12:55 PM   #14
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCR View Post
I fly to Pattaya about three times per year. Last September was the last trip I made without an e-book reader. I took about 6 real books, read them, and bought several more in the mediocre Pattaya bookstores. I abandoned them all in the hotel room when I left, to save on weight. I figured that little exercise cost me about $200.

On my first trip with a Sony Reader, loaded with about 90 ebooks - I spent nothing on books the whole trip, and always had something of interest to read.

To keep my Sony safe: it's stored in a cake tin in my carry-on bag when I fly, and sealed in a ziploc bag when on the beach.

I'm really proud of the cake tin: cost only $4.95 (including a cake), it's rugged, and large enough to include basic stationery and spectacle case. And when it's closed, it doesn't look like it's worth stealing. (Unless you're a cake thief).
Honestly, I can't think of anyone who would knowingly steal a fruit cake. Most of us in this country use them as door stops and bookends.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 01:14 PM   #15
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Awwww, thanks, pshrynk. You're a sweetie! We could probably arrange for some of that deep dish pizza to be supplied to said cops, to get you out.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clouds of enlightenment