Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 03-15-2012, 10:26 PM   #1
Munner
Munner began at the beginning.

Device: none
Angry Blackberry Playbook HELP PLEASE!!!!!!

Would somebody, please for the sake of my sanity, help me upload books to my Blackberry Playbook 32GB OS Vers. 2.01??? I have downloaded Box, Jotsy, apps from App World, but I have yet to get one freaking book onto this thing, except for an old book from Project Gutenberg. Calibre does not recognize my Playbook, in spite of the fact that it supposedly does now. I bought the damn thing to use as a reader, because the prices were so great. I can load books onto my Ipad without problem, simply using Sugarsync. Why the hell can't I go the same thing with Playbook???????

PLEASE HELP!!!!!:
Munner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:37 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munner View Post
Would somebody, please for the sake of my sanity, help me upload books to my Blackberry Playbook 32GB OS Vers. 2.01??? I have downloaded Box, Jotsy, apps from App World, but I have yet to get one freaking book onto this thing, except for an old book from Project Gutenberg. Calibre does not recognize my Playbook, in spite of the fact that it supposedly does now. I bought the damn thing to use as a reader, because the prices were so great. I can load books onto my Ipad without problem, simply using Sugarsync. Why the hell can't I go the same thing with Playbook???????

PLEASE HELP!!!!!:
Dunno Does Windows recognise it as a lettered drive?
Is the Plugin (re)enabled (just in case you disabled it a long time ago)?

A biggie: Not have anoter book reader device connected (and I would think that includes Connect to I-tunes or Folder)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2012, 12:50 AM   #3
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
I seem to remember seeing somewhere that the Playbook uses MTP same as Android 3.0 and higher so I'm guessing no Calibre device detection. No idea what reader apps aside from Kindle are available for RIM's OS so can't really make any suggestions as to how to get ebooks into the relevant reader app.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:17 PM   #4
Munner
Munner began at the beginning.

Device: none
I have the Playbook App installed, but it is for the OS1 software. There does not seem to be a plugin for the highly improved OS2 as yet. I guess I will have to wait until one is written.
Thanks for your suggestions.
Munner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:27 PM   #5
GrandmaVS
GrandmaVS will become famous soon enoughGrandmaVS will become famous soon enoughGrandmaVS will become famous soon enoughGrandmaVS will become famous soon enoughGrandmaVS will become famous soon enoughGrandmaVS will become famous soon enoughGrandmaVS will become famous soon enough

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro, Aluratek 7" Media Reader, Kobo Wifi, Playbook
Smile Books to Blackberry Playbook

Hi from Abbotsford. I have been reading on my 16GB since it became available. I bought three ebook readers through App World: Play ePub Book Reader (+free trial) for $1.99, EPUB reader for $1.99 and Book Reader for EPUB and Kindle books for $.99. I find the Book Reader for EPUB and Kindle the easiest to use because it has its own directory tree so you can view folders on the Playbook in order to find your ebooks.

I downloaded BlueBox for Blackberry Playbook (free on App World) and set up an account on my PC at DropBox. I am able to send books from Calibre to the DropBox folder on my computer and it automatically copies them to my online DropBox folder.
I can then load the books through BlueBox on my Playbook to any of the above listed programs.

If you have any questions, let me know. I also found it frustrating when I first attempted to get my books transferred over.
GrandmaVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2012, 11:00 PM   #6
MrFred
MrFred began at the beginning.

Device: BB Playbook (32GB)
Book Reader for EPUB and Kindle books

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaVS View Post
Hi from Abbotsford. I have been reading on my 16GB since it became available. I bought three ebook readers through App World: Play ePub Book Reader (+free trial) for $1.99, EPUB reader for $1.99 and Book Reader for EPUB and Kindle books for $.99. I find the Book Reader for EPUB and Kindle the easiest to use because it has its own directory tree so you can view folders on the Playbook in order to find your ebooks.

I downloaded BlueBox for Blackberry Playbook (free on App World) and set up an account on my PC at DropBox. I am able to send books from Calibre to the DropBox folder on my computer and it automatically copies them to my online DropBox folder.
I can then load the books through BlueBox on my Playbook to any of the above listed programs.

If you have any questions, let me know. I also found it frustrating when I first attempted to get my books transferred over.
I just bought Book Reader for EPUB and Kindle books and copied over my 1st ePub book. Works great! Thanks for the post.

I am told I can get the Kindle reader as well if I figure out how to sideload Android apps. Is there any value in getting that reader as well? I too am from Canada.
MrFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:35 PM   #7
GrandmaVS
GrandmaVS will become famous soon enoughGrandmaVS will become famous soon enoughGrandmaVS will become famous soon enoughGrandmaVS will become famous soon enoughGrandmaVS will become famous soon enoughGrandmaVS will become famous soon enoughGrandmaVS will become famous soon enough

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro, Aluratek 7" Media Reader, Kobo Wifi, Playbook
Playbook Apps

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFred View Post
I just bought Book Reader for EPUB and Kindle books and copied over my 1st ePub book. Works great! Thanks for the post.

I am told I can get the Kindle reader as well if I figure out how to sideload Android apps. Is there any value in getting that reader as well? I too am from Canada.
I have the Kindle program and find that I don't really use it. I usually use Calibre to convert my files to ePub before loading them on my Playbook.
I sideloaded a program called Moon+ Reader and quite like it. It has good reviews. If you want to learn how to sideload apps, this site has good instructions:
http://goodereader.com/apps/playbook...-apps/?did=182 There are no pirated apps on the site, only free software is allowed.

Blackberry App World now has the Overdrive Media app to enable downloading from libraries in Canada and the US.
GrandmaVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:08 PM   #8
sandyjunebug
sandyjunebug will become famous soon enoughsandyjunebug will become famous soon enoughsandyjunebug will become famous soon enoughsandyjunebug will become famous soon enoughsandyjunebug will become famous soon enoughsandyjunebug will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Touch 600
ebooks downloads

After connecting and opening both my playbook and my playbook desktop , I drag and drop my ebook that I want to transfer to the 'z' drive which is the playbook drive on 'my computer', from Calibre. On my playbook this is in ' Air browser' app as a book, I click on the book to open it and transfer it to the reader program on my playbook, then click on it their to open it in that program. I am now able to read my ebook on my playbook. I have the Book reader app on my playbook. Good kuck
sandyjunebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:25 PM   #9
seafog
seafog began at the beginning.

Device: none (playbook)
I found this site searching for info on how to read kindle books on the BB Playbook. Ha. Seen Munners post "Blackberry Playbook HELP PLEASE!!!!!!" (me too!)
Here are my questions if someone cares to try to answer them. I have a Macbook. I have a useless but cute Playbook that I used to read my Kindle books on (worked great!) before RIM removed the Cloud Reader during a downgrade (upgrade). I also bought Book Reader from Blackberry Apps. Does anyone use the book Reader and also a Macbook? How do I transfer files from kIndle library to Book Reader? Thanks
seafog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:12 AM   #10
sailnaked
sailnaked began at the beginning.

Device: blackberry playbook
See this link for the solution I use

MAC: http://crackberry.com/wi-fi-file-sha...berry-playbook

Windows: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNBHOj8UPT
Windows: http://opensourcebb.com/2011/10/map-...ess-over-wifi/

Linux: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4pVt7D2vbs
Linux: http://gnuman.com/wi-fi-file-sharing...ook-and-linux/

I transfer everything this way. I use Linux Mint and it automatically sees the Playbook as a network drive. I have it password protected as recommended in the video. By the way, I will always avoid the cloud. I simply do not trust having my data on someone elses server.
sailnaked is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
box, jotsy, playbook, useless