Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 11-22-2010, 12:05 AM   #1
tobassam
tobassam began at the beginning.

Device: Poketbook
Question No FBReader capability on the IQ ?!

From this post, it seems that the IQ's Pocketbook software has no capability of opening books with FBReader, just ADE :
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=11

Can someone confirm this or otherwise as it could be a deal-breaker for many.
tobassam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:13 AM   #2
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
I believe it uses the Android version- FBReder J. All the options are not yet available but.... You can simply install the FBReader app itself and use it to read.

You can get the app from the Slideme market which come installed on the IQ or from the link on my apps page http://www.dulinsbooks.com/android-apps
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2010, 01:20 AM   #3
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Hi tobassam,

Just out of curiosity, why did you decide to create a new thread instead to ask about clarifications on a post instead of just posting in the existing thread? Isn't this way more complicated?
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:57 AM   #4
tobassam

Dulin, neither ADE nor FBReaderJ for Android support RTL languages (Hebrew,Arabic,Urdu, etc.). It's the reason many had adopted the Pocketbook version of FBReader in the past, along with its custom font installation capability.

Sil_liS, I wanted customers in my situation to be aware of the issue rather than have it buried. The IQ was very much expected to run in the same league, and now many will be disappointed if it's not. I have already placed a pre-order and will probably cancel now.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:57 AM   #5
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobassam View Post
Sil_liS, I wanted customers in my situation to be aware of the issue rather than have it buried. The IQ was very much expected to run in the same league, and now many will be disappointed if it's not. I have already placed a pre-order and will probably cancel now.
But the issue wasn't buried. Anyone on this forum that is interested in the IQ will have read the thread that you linked to. And that was posted 20 minutes before you started this thread.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2010, 04:12 AM   #6
tobassam

Sil_liS, sorry if that put you off, but to me - and many others - a pocketbook device with sub-par FBReader capabilities is a defining issue and not one to be mixed with others.

This is my call to the Pocketbook community - and the company - to bring the issue forward and tackle it - if possible - to the expectations of Pocketbook customers - since long - of the revered Pocketbook software.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:44 AM   #7
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Sil_liS, sorry if that put you off, but to me - and many others - a pocketbook device with sub-par FBReader capabilities is a defining issue and not one to be mixed with others.

This is my call to the Pocketbook community - and the company - to bring the issue forward and tackle it - if possible - to the expectations of Pocketbook customers - since long - of the revered Pocketbook software.
Please, instead of telling us that FBReader is subpar, tell us exactly what's not working so that we can go ahead and find a solution.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:09 AM   #8
tobassam

mtravellerh, thank you. The problem is the missing support for RTL scripts. I have e-mailed my Pocketbook IQ supplier with the attached sample files. They have confirmed that - with the exception of the PDF format - the characters aren't being displayed correctly (a JPEG image is included for reference).

carmelra's previous testing results of Hebrew using FBReaderJ for Android can be found here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=18

In short, FBReaderJ (and even the original FBReader (non-PC version) and FBReader180) does not have proper RTL support. Only Pocketbook's custom-developed version has that support, but it seems that the IQ product is not using that version. This is where the problem lies.

P.S. Dulin, the FBReader app in the market is actually FBReaderJ, the original FBReader does not support Android.
Attached Files
File Type: zip RTLsupport.zip (385.8 KB, 156 views)

Last edited by tobassam; 11-22-2010 at 05:22 AM.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:17 AM   #9
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
mtravellerh, thank you. The problem is the missing support for RTL scripts. I have e-mailed my Pocketbook IQ supplier with the attached sample files. They have confirmed that - with the exception of the PDF format - the characters aren't being displayed correctly (a JPEG image is included for reference).

carmelra's previous testing results of Hebrew using FBReaderJ for Android can be found here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=18

In short, FBReaderJ (and even the original FBReader (non-PC version) and FBReader180) does not have proper RTL support. Only Pocketbook's custom-developed version has that support, but it seems that the IQ product is not using that version. This is where the problem lies.
Okay I understand and will bring this up. I am not sure if our custom version can be transferred to IQ. I will give feedback on that, though.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:02 AM   #10
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Okay I understand and will bring this up. I am not sure if our custom version can be transferred to IQ. I will give feedback on that, though.
Please do.

Just understand that the Pocketbook name on a *reader* brings a certain amount of brand-equity and goodwill but it also brings expectations.
And a good portion of those expectations are tied into the custom FBReader's capabilities, the themes, the dics, the applets...
Absent clearer details, for the IQ the *expectations* of many of us have been of, essentially, a color 301, with an (optional) Android environment on the side. (Unfair, probably, but the "marketing" *has* always emphasized the Pocketbook reader side, not the "open Android webpad" side of the IQ.)
Without the Pocketbook environment, the IQ becomes... I dunno... A Velocity Micro Cruz?
(With a much better warranty, of course.)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:56 AM   #11
katzki
Zealot
katzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enough

Device: sony prs 650
IQ as a Pokcetbook Reader

I think sometime soon we are going to compare IQ with other pocketbook readers in terms of the reader software performance.

By then, we need to clarify our expectation from IQ's Pocketbook reader app and maybe also need to make a checklist for which works well and which doesn't.

The FBReader issue is just a good starting point I guess.
katzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:53 AM   #12
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
to clarify- that page of my site is down today. had some bug show up,had to restore and i hadnt made a backup with that page. I will build it again in the next day or so and then fix links in my posts. today the cart is getting an upgrade and tomorrow i have family coming for a visit...
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:05 AM   #13
mtravellerh
book creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Please do.

Just understand that the Pocketbook name on a *reader* brings a certain amount of brand-equity and goodwill but it also brings expectations.
And a good portion of those expectations are tied into the custom FBReader's capabilities, the themes, the dics, the applets...
Absent clearer details, for the IQ the *expectations* of many of us have been of, essentially, a color 301, with an (optional) Android environment on the side. (Unfair, probably, but the "marketing" *has* always emphasized the Pocketbook reader side, not the "open Android webpad" side of the IQ.)
Without the Pocketbook environment, the IQ becomes... I dunno... A Velocity Micro Cruz?
(With a much better warranty, of course.)
Well, then again, I have Kindle and Nook installed on this little darling and that works really swell, thank you very much.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:27 AM   #14
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Aldiko works good, too.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:59 AM   #15
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
If the IQ is to be used to run Kindle, Nook, and Aldiko then it is more of a generic open Android tablet than a Pocketbook-family reader, no?

Easily worth buying as such, don't get me wrong; but marketting it as a PB-reader without PB-reader *software* dilutes the brand equity built up by the eink readers. Pocketbook isn't just a brand, it's a platform, no?

And it is the known-quantity aspects of this platform that the reader family's reputation rests on. Anything that muddies these "known-quantity" aspects--the reputation for flexibility and stability--is going to detract from the brand's reputation for quality.

Just saying.

Clarification of the role of the IQ within the reader family is necessary for everybody's sake; ending up with disappointed/disaffected buyers out of miscommunication helps nobody.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote