Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-07-2009, 11:20 PM   #1
thorn
Connoisseur
thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.

Device: currently: ipod touch
calibre not recognizing that k2 is connected, even after computer re-boot.

i've tried connecting k2 w/ usb cable both before and after launching calibre, and before and after re-boot. the computer recognizes k2 just fine -- appears as a 'flash' drive along with all other drives, but calibre tells me that no device is detected -- repeatedly gives me the 'big, red X'-error.

'pushing my files to k2' did work with this version of calibre the night before last, without incident. puzzling. ideas? i'm running 0.5.5.

thank you ~
thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:31 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
In a terminal run

calibre-debug -d

and post the output
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 01:11 AM   #3
thorn
Connoisseur
thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.

strange. debug looks to my untrained eye like calibre knows the device is there; calibre not behaving accordingly.

thank you!

(tiny images - sorry. viewable @ flickr? if impossible, let me know & i'll think of something in the a.m...)

Last edited by thorn; 04-08-2009 at 01:16 AM. Reason: to mess w/ images - to no avail..
Old 04-08-2009, 01:17 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry can't read, note that you can copy paste the text from the command prompt window, which is what I need
Old 04-08-2009, 01:25 AM   #5
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
All the first one says is Cannot Send: No Device is Connected.

thorn, I think you're just not waiting long enough for the Kindle to be detected in Calibre. Unplug the Kindle, start Calibre, wait until it loads your library, plug the Kindle back in, then wait 60 seconds. Eventually Calibre should see it.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 02:04 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The other possibility is that you upgraded some system software /anti virus/malware software that's interfering with calibre.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:42 PM   #7
thorn
Connoisseur

@sirbruce: did that a bunch of times. waited a very long time, too. re-booted computer. connected, re-connected, waited some more, disconnected, closed calibre, re-connected, re-opened calibre, etc. etc. -- been at it for a couple of days.

@kovid: what you say about anti-virus program might be the issue. that has updated at least once since calibre last recognized my device. will disable anti-virus program to see if that helps.

can't copy | paste from dos emulator. 'run' from start menu runs, but the window 'flies away'. annoying. may try it again and see if i can alt | tab it open. it was late..

thanks, both -
Old 04-08-2009, 05:45 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Thorn, you can copy from the command prompt. Just right click and you'll see the menu. The option you want is Mark and then once marked, hit enter. Then you can paste it here.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 08:48 PM   #9
thorn
Connoisseur

@jswolf: thank you! i will remember this. in fact, i will do it once to be *sure* i remember.

@kovid: i disabled the antivirus app, re-installed 0.5.5, & it saw my kindle. i wasn't super-scientifical about it, but the result probably isn't spurious. duh. i guess i didn't think of it because it's the first time i've had a problem. sometimes i think mcafee *is* a virus.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:54 PM   #10
thorn
Connoisseur

btw: thank you kovid, for a lovely gobbet of software. much as i'd love to be reading on my device for fun, calibre makes it not only possible, but *easy* to move my course-readings to my device.

i haven't printed a .pdf in 5 years, & don't carry my computer. it's finally possible to read my stuff on the train. no more wasted time! (i will be able to read again for fun sometime in may..)
Old 04-08-2009, 10:46 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Glad you find it useful