Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-20-2013, 02:37 PM   #1
stitch79
stitch79 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HDX
New Fire HDX - trying to sideload epubs

Hello,

I've tried to find help on this in other threads but have not had any luck.

I am going to the Kindle Fire hdx from my old iPad - most of my books are in epub format and I would like to keep them that way. I really don't want to convert them all and use the Kindle app for my primary reading app.

I've installed Aldiko, Mantano, and Bluefire but none have been able to open or import the epub files. Before I did a massive transfer of all my epub files I am trying to test it by downloading previously purchased books and opening them in one of those apps. All of them give me some sort of 'Unable to import/open file' error. Everything I have found online says the files should open so I am starting to get frustrated!

Any help you could provide would be great! Thanks.
stitch79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:43 PM   #2
jscarbo
Addict
jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW2, Nook HD+, Nexus 7
If your books have DRM you can only open them in a compatible app that's registered with the seller you purchased your books from. The process is to download the correct app and register it with them. When you do, it will take you into your account and display all of your books. You then re-download them from within the app. You can't sideload and open DRM-encrypted books that you originally downloaded for another device because the DRM coding is for the wrong device.
jscarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2013, 02:48 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscarbo View Post
You can't sideload and open DRM-encrypted books that you originally downloaded for another device because the DRM coding is for the wrong device.
While it's true Kindle DRM is device specific "standard" Adobe DRM is not. If the ePub's were downloaded with a specific Adobe ID and the new reader is activated to that same ID then DRM'd books should work just fine. Assuming they're Adobe Adept DRM'd and not iBooks DRM'd or B&N's version of Adobe DRM'd.

stitch79, are the books DRM'd? What store/stores are the books from? Also just for curiosities sake how are you copying them to the HDX (Calibre, Explorer)? Do they open fine on anything besides the iPad such as Adobe Digital Editions or another desktop ePub reader?

Last edited by AnemicOak; 11-20-2013 at 02:51 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 03:04 PM   #4
stitch79

The book was purchased from allromance.com and downloaded previously on my ipad. In all the apps I mentioned I put in my Adobe ID and authenticated it before downloading and attempting to open the book.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:07 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch79 View Post
The book was purchased from allromance.com and downloaded previously on my ipad. In all the apps I mentioned I put in my Adobe ID and authenticated it before downloading and attempting to open the book.
How are you making the transfer? Adobe Digital Editions, Calibre, Explorer? Did you somehow copy the book off the iPad for transfer or did you download it again from ARe or???
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2013, 03:09 PM   #6
stitch79

I just downloaded it again from Are.com
Old 11-20-2013, 03:19 PM   #7
jscarbo
Addict
jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW2, Nook HD+, Nexus 7
Perhaps these instructions will help: http://support.ebrary.com/kb/ebrary-...n-kindle-fire/
jscarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 03:34 PM   #8
stitch79

I have been through that already, the files that I am downloading are epub - not acsm files.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:13 AM   #9
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
I have been through that already, the files that I am downloading are epub - not acsm files.
Can you open the epub on your PC and if so what Reader program on your PC are you using? This will help narrow down the problem.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:39 PM   #10
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
ePub Library organizer for Kindle Fire HDX 2013

Quote:
Hello,

I've tried to find help on this in other threads but have not had any luck.

I am going to the Kindle Fire hdx from my old iPad - most of my books are in epub format and I would like to keep them that way. I really don't want to convert them all and use the Kindle app for my primary reading app.

I've installed Aldiko, Mantano, and Bluefire but none have been able to open or import the epub files. Before I did a massive transfer of all my epub files I am trying to test it by downloading previously purchased books and opening them in one of those apps. All of them give me some sort of 'Unable to import/open file' error. Everything I have found online says the files should open so I am starting to get frustrated!

Any help you could provide would be great! Thanks.
See this app which was authorized for my Kindle Fire HDX 2013:

http://www.amazon.com/Karl-Weckworth...epub+on+Kindle

This is what they say:

"•Manage a library of ePub books on your Android device."

There is a box in the upper right of the Amazon page for that App which displays a green check for my HDX 2013. Apps that do not work with it, display a red X.

By the way, my HD 2012 did not display in that box so it will not work on that device. Also, there are only 2 five star reviews and 6 one star reviews showing it is iffy in its prospects.

The only way to find out is to install it and try it on a few sample eBooks.

Last edited by sirmaru; 11-24-2013 at 08:43 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:44 PM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
See this app which was authorized for my Kindle Fire HDX 2013:

http://www.amazon.com/Karl-Weckworth...epub+on+Kindle

This is what they say:

"•Manage a library of ePub books on your Android device."

There is a box in the upper right of the Amazon page for that App which displays a green check for my HDX 2013. Apps that do not work with it, display a red X.

By the way, my HD 2012 did not display in that box so it will not work on that device. Also, there are only 2 five star reviews and 6 one star reviews showing it is iffy in its prospects.

The only way to find out is to install it and try it on a few sample eBooks.
I'd stay away from it. It looks bare bones. Mantano is much better or Moon+ Reader
Old 11-24-2013, 09:45 PM   #12
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Montano & Moon Readers have Red X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I'd stay away from it. It looks bare bones. Mantano is much better or Moon+ Reader
The Montano reader here:

http://www.amazon.com/Mantano-Reader...montano+reader

has a red X next to it for my HDX 2013 and my HD 2012.

Same with the Moon +Reader Pro shown here:

http://www.amazon.com/Moon-Reader-Pr...ds=moon+reader

If Amazon has a Red X next to an app, it could cause problems for the device.

Have you ever tried the approved non-Red X ePub reader I linked above?

Last edited by sirmaru; 11-24-2013 at 09:48 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:52 PM   #13
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
The Montano reader here:

http://www.amazon.com/Mantano-Reader...montano+reader

has a red X next to it for my HDX 2013 and my HD 2012.

Same with the Moon +Reader Pro shown here:

http://www.amazon.com/Moon-Reader-Pr...ds=moon+reader

If Amazon has a Red X next to an app, it could cause problems for the device.

Have you ever tried the approved non-Red X ePub reader I linked above?
They both work fine with any Kindle Fire. The one above only isn't x out because the app developer is pushing it off as a organizer app. if it had Reader in the name it would be x out too. Amazon will catch them eventually and it will be the same.

The only reason there are red x on these apps is due to marketing. Amazon doesn't want you reading anything but their stuff.
Old 12-07-2013, 05:41 PM   #14
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
They both work fine with any Kindle Fire.

The only reason there are red x on these apps is due to marketing. Amazon doesn't want you reading anything but their stuff.
There isn't a red x on Overdrive for example so it's not quite that.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:55 PM   #15
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
There isn't a red x on Overdrive for example so it's not quite that.
That's because Overdrive has affiliation with Amazon. You can check out Kindle books through them from the library.