Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-24-2008, 04:38 AM   #16
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
Aye, so I expected, but it's not a PDA or smartphone I want with the Readius. Just the simple ability to dial any number (and keep a store of phone contacts) or receive a phone call is sufficient for me. Can this do that?
Yes. You can connect a Bluetooth headset to the Readius and use it for making/receiving phone calls.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:58 AM   #17
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Yes. You can connect a Bluetooth headset to the Readius and use it for making/receiving phone calls.
Thanks, Alexander. It was that simple ability to dial a number and receive a phone call that would satisfy my mobile phone needs, while giving me what was primarily an ultraportable reader.

I don't expect it in Oz any time soon (not based on any information - just antipodean experience ), but I am quite excited about this device, and what Polymer Vision are doing. I even think its styling is quite magic - not following the crowd, it has that slightly retro look of an older Olympus (or Philips? ) portable voice recorder.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 05:09 AM   #18
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Am I the only one who feels relieved that we won't have to deal with a "Readius e-book format"?

I already lost track of all the other formats that are out there...
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 05:57 AM   #19
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
Am I the only one who feels relieved that we won't have to deal with a "Readius e-book format"?

I already lost track of all the other formats that are out there...
oh no, you are not alone.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:10 AM   #20
Ramen
Connoisseur
Ramen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3, BeBook
Very nice interview. Obvously, a lot of detals are missing but those will have to wait for the actual launch, of course.

The most exciting part is the SIM-thingie and the SDK. I only need my mobile for phoning (*gasp*) and alarms so this reader might actually satisfy my needs. Given that I'm in the same country as you, Alexander, you are aware of the local availabilty, usability and pricing issues.

Only the non-replacable battery may be a problem but the lifetime of these should be well enough by now, I guess.
Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:20 AM   #21
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramen View Post
Only the non-replacable battery may be a problem but the lifetime of these should be well enough by now, I guess.
Actually, if it is using a Li-ion battery (which I assume), then its lifetime is pretty much defined. Li-ion batteries have a cycle time that is limited to two to three years.

See more on this topic here, and here

Quote:
But they have one drawback: a limited lifespan. Lithium ion batteries are particularly susceptible to aging; as soon as one leaves the manufacturing line, its countdown begins. A typical lifespan is two to three years, whether it is ever used or not -- as some disgruntled owners of Apple Computer Corp.'s iPod found when their digital music players suddenly went dead. A huge hullabaloo ensued.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:48 AM   #22
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Is the battery of other e-readers replaceable? I know that I cannot replace the battery of my Sony Reader, unless, of course, I attempt to take it completely apart (which would be a bad idea considering how clumsy I am ).
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:51 AM   #23
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Kindle, Cybook and Hanlin (and their clones) have user-replaceable batteries.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:24 AM   #24
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I don't mind that its battery is not (officially) replacable. The Readius is the first of its kind, and for that, it looks already pretty damn sexy.
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 05:08 PM   #25
sf_reality
sf_reality doesn't littersf_reality doesn't litter

Device: Kindle, Readius
@Marc
As far as I know, you can call with Readius using your contact list, imported from your PC of phone. I don't think you can dial a number, because there is no user input on Readius.
So, you can use Readius both as your only pocket eReader and as your only mobile phone, while travelling.
I'll use it just as my only eBook reader to replace paper books or current eReaders that have the size of a paper book. I don't mind carrying my smartphone in one pocket and Readius in the other:-)
sf_reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:04 PM   #26
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_reality View Post
@Marc
As far as I know, you can call with Readius using your contact list, imported from your PC of phone. I don't think you can dial a number, because there is no user input on Readius.
So, you can use Readius both as your only pocket eReader and as your only mobile phone, while travelling.
I'll use it just as my only eBook reader to replace paper books or current eReaders that have the size of a paper book. I don't mind carrying my smartphone in one pocket and Readius in the other:-)
Only being able to dial your contacts (as mentioned, I'm perfectly fine with the "import from your PC thing) and not be able to dial a number that's not in that contacts database (and I understand why - I just wasn't completely certain if that was the case), is not optimum for me. However, like using the Iliad as a web browser, it's not the kind of thing that would get in the way of me buying one. To me, it's an exciting device, fitting almost perfectly with my desires in such a thing (I'm not generally fond of "do everything" devices, but a little convergence doesn't hurt). I'd buy one.

So, since you have one, I'd love to hear your reaction to it.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:13 PM   #27
mateo
Enthusiast
mateo began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Zire71
Hate to be the drag of the party, but what struck me is that it sounds like this thing is going to be locked into subscription-based service. I don't know about you, but I'm not paying $10 a month to get rss/atom news feeds. It sounds like the device isn't going to work with wifi or just uploading via USB. It probably will be after hackers unlock it, but out of the box it sounds like a locked up device. If they have an unlocked version I would probably get one.
mateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:15 PM   #28
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Kindle, Cybook and Hanlin (and their clones) have user-replaceable batteries.
Aside from the iPhone, aren't all cell phone batteries user replaceable? So far all of mine have been.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:18 PM   #29
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_reality View Post
@Marc

Maybe one of the "8 simple buttons" activates a touch screen keyboard (I hope).

http://www.readius.com/support/faq

Quote:
Q) What are the 8 simple buttons?

A) Readius has 5 touch sensitive buttons with their respective functions indicated on the display (so-called virtual buttons). It also has an “option”, a “back” button and an “on/off” button. This makes Readius easy to use out of the box.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 07:17 AM   #30
mrdini
Connoisseur
mrdini doesn't littermrdini doesn't litter

Device: Hanlin V2 & V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Maybe one of the "8 simple buttons" activates a touch screen keyboard (I hope).

http://www.readius.com/support/faq
Quote:
Q) What are the 8 simple buttons?

A) Readius has 5 touch sensitive buttons with their respective functions indicated on the display (so-called virtual buttons). It also has an “option”, a “back” button and an “on/off” button. This makes Readius easy to use out of the box.
No. Think of it like those ATM machines you use. You see the options on screen, & these options are aligned against the buttons at the side of the display.

No touchscreen.
mrdini is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!, ereader, interview, karl mcgoldrick, polymer vision, readius