Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 05-24-2009, 05:18 PM   #46
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Very interesting, but I'd rather have Android on it than Ubuntu.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 05:44 PM   #47
Chippy
Enthusiast
Chippy has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Various UMPCs
Hadrien. I think there's a good possibility that Android will be running on this before long, unofficially of course. Maemo (via the Mer project) is another good possibility.
Chippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2009, 05:50 PM   #48
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
I see good things coming to the Q7
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 06:53 PM   #49
quant
quant began at the beginning.

Device: x61 tablet
is it able to read OCRed pdf files?
is there a pdf application in which user can annotate pdf files?

Thanks
quant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:31 PM   #50
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
I definitely can't see this being a "Kindle Killer." People buy Kindles for specific reasons that LCD screens can't match. I think this device looks awesome and I definitely want to get one in the future but it lags in the area of battery life and reading outside (I like reading outside). But this device would be great for many other things, obviously, including PDF reading and internet reading.

I do have one question: is there an on-screen keyboard to allow us to search the text of ebooks?
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2009, 11:53 PM   #51
purl4peace
Mommy of Many Interests
purl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX, Sony PRS-505, Cybook Gen3
Very impressed and tempted

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMatt View Post
I definitely can't see this being a "Kindle Killer."
I do have one question: is there an on-screen keyboard to allow us to search the text of ebooks?
I don't know if this particular device has an "on-screen keyboard" but they list a detachable keyboard as an accessory.

In looking at their website, I was incredibly impressed by the wide array of netbooks and touchscreen offerings particularly given the price point. I love my e-Ink readers but I have an Asus EEPc that I use at work as a Music Player/netbook/eReader and these devices look like they would blow away the Asus for 1/2 the price. The fact many of the devices can function as a tablet/netbook/eReader is very impressive and tempting.
purl4peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 12:07 AM   #52
purl4peace
Mommy of Many Interests
purl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX, Sony PRS-505, Cybook Gen3
Because Most Kindle buyers want color and backlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
Why "kindle-killer"? It's not eInk, how can you compare?
I'll tell you why this is a potential Kindle-Killer:

1. If you look at the negative postings, most people there say it is because the kindle is only black and white and doesn't have back-lighting... they don't understand the advantages of eInk. I would argue this is the majority of people contemplating a reader device so you have a much larger potential market.

2. The price point for this is less than 1/2 of the Kindle 2 and about a 1/3 the price of the Kindle DX and it supports PDF just fine.

3. People like the idea of multi-functional devices. Because of the wireless, if you have SKYPE, this could replace folks cell phones etc.

4. This device gives you flexibility... you prefer a keyboard? You can get a physical keyboard. You prefer touch only? you have that too. You want wireless? You've got wireless. You only use USB? They've gotcha covered there too.

If you go over to amazon and look at all the critical posts, every single one of the criticisms is addressed by this device.

I *REALLY* like the idea of using remote connect to access your mobi-pocket reader (or Sony Library or any other PC device) to help you augment your eInk reader of choice. This device wouldn't make me throw out my Sony. But as an adjunct to the Sony for situations where the Sony isn't appropriate (like dark rooms), this is perfect!
purl4peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 12:20 AM   #53
mobelby
Zealot
mobelby doesn't littermobelby doesn't littermobelby doesn't litter

Device: eeepc 901
Just sent over an order enquiry for shipping to Oz. Let's see the total price. I'll take on board your recommendations for paypal over westernunion
mobelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 12:27 AM   #54
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
I look forward to hearing one of our regulars around here talk about it after they've played with it some.

I really want to think this is a good option, but I need more feedback first.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 12:38 AM   #55
mobelby
Zealot
mobelby doesn't littermobelby doesn't littermobelby doesn't litter

Device: eeepc 901
Two obvious points I forgot to say:

1. a linux (ARM) port of calibre would be great for this as a library tool - I'll ask Kovid how hard it is to make his linux version work on the ARM processor
2. Calibre has an inbuilt viewer for non-drm EPUB
mobelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 01:17 AM   #56
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
In my experience of about 6 months with my PRS-505, I didn't find that it was better for my eyes at all, in fact, it was worse because I read in low light situations more often than I read outside. In fact, the dots per inch of my Nokia N770 is double what the Kindle has by comparison. I enjoy reading on it far more than I ever did my PRS-505.

I definately don't feel extra eye strain that some people point out using an LCD, but maybe that's just me. I look at computer screens all day working, so why does it have to be any different when I read on a mobile device? Seriously, they aren't going to take iPhones and suddenly make them eInk. What they will do, is make eBook reading on the iPhone easy - which they have already done. Why do we even need a Kindle? Because Amazon forces it down our throats. If they took the time to research the market instead of jumping on the eInk bandwagon, they could have made a multi-purpose device that not only read ebooks, but did far more and even had the application store the iPhone has - which has had over a BILLION applications downloaded since it was released.

The only advantages I see to eInk are:
1. Long Battery Life
2. Great for reading outside or in good lighting - the main reason anyone would want this over LCD I think.

We already carry a bunch of mobile devices. Why aren't we combining them or furthering the capabilities of some of them at least? Why must we have a tablet-sized device that ONLY reads ebooks when it can do so much more? Just so we don't have to plug it in for a month? I don't mind charging my new Q7 two or three times a week. I do it already with other devices that aren't even for reading.

Last but not least, the pricing on the kindle devices is just out-of-line. I can buy so many devices that do so much more than just read ebooks for the price they are charging. I can buy a decent UMPC for that price. I can get access to mobipocket, PDFs and other ebook formats. I'm not locked into just dealing with Amazon for my books.

Batteries for LCD devices are making some great progress too. The battery on this device is really quite good. I guess I can see a market for eInk for people that do a lot of reading in good light, but for me, I would much rather have a device that can do so much more and still read and be in the book/tablet form factor.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 02:03 AM   #57
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
Sounds like this might be a good replacement for my 7" Asus Eee (which could go to my daughter) - but I'll wait a few months for feedback.

Seems like it has very little RAM (128MB) as opposed to the standard 512MB used for Linux devices (I have 1 GB in my Eee). Will this support video playback without skipping (VLC?)? And how fast will pages turn with PDF? Will Open Office or some other word-processor run on it? Will it play mp3? Even though my Eee weighs in at double (1kg vs 480gr) and has only about a 4,5 hour battery life - it does all of the above very nicely.

Although, if ithe Q7 has a good screen-brightness control that can turn down the backlighting as required - then even just as an ereader it is a good price-point. But sometimes - like on my Classmate tablet - the touchscreen functionality makes it more reflective and difficult to read.

Looking forward to hearing reviews from these courageous (and with more disposable income!) first adopters!
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 02:19 AM   #58
ruskie
Shade
ruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enough

Device: Hanlin Jinke V3ext running OpenInkPot
I'll stick to eInk for reading. I tend to stare at LCDs whole days and frankly I get tired of it.

As for eInk over LCD...

eInk is perfect for reading for me. It means I don't have to strain my eyes(yes I actually notice when I'm doing so on an LCD). This is one of the reasons I tend to rest my eyes on the keyboard while typing even though I'm perfectly capable of touch typing.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/question462.htm <-- I guess this would be an issue for some and I know it is for me.

But this still looks like a nice mobile device for general use. I don't expect my devices to do everything and I'm dying for an eInk cell phone. I know there's a Motorola F3 might even get it but I doubt it.

As for using LCD for reading I tried this a few times. Took about 5 minutes then I couldn't stand it anymore. Doing things on the LCD vs reading are two completly different things.

Anyway great device but I'll wait for the http://www.openpandora.org
ruskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 02:19 AM   #59
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by purl4peace View Post
I'll tell you why this is a potential Kindle-Killer:

1. If you look at the negative postings, most people there say it is because the kindle is only black and white and doesn't have back-lighting... they don't understand the advantages of eInk. I would argue this is the majority of people contemplating a reader device so you have a much larger potential market.

2. The price point for this is less than 1/2 of the Kindle 2 and about a 1/3 the price of the Kindle DX and it supports PDF just fine.

3. People like the idea of multi-functional devices. Because of the wireless, if you have SKYPE, this could replace folks cell phones etc.

4. This device gives you flexibility... you prefer a keyboard? You can get a physical keyboard. You prefer touch only? you have that too. You want wireless? You've got wireless. You only use USB? They've gotcha covered there too.

If you go over to amazon and look at all the critical posts, every single one of the criticisms is addressed by this device.

I *REALLY* like the idea of using remote connect to access your mobi-pocket reader (or Sony Library or any other PC device) to help you augment your eInk reader of choice. This device wouldn't make me throw out my Sony. But as an adjunct to the Sony for situations where the Sony isn't appropriate (like dark rooms), this is perfect!
I did buy a Netbook the minute they came out instead of the Kindle because they were the same price, and the netbook is a computer, after 6 months I knew I made a mistake, anyone who reads heavily on a backlighted screen will suffer eyestrain problems, and I'm 20 with 20/20 vision.

2. the price point is there. thanks to netbooks, which this pretty much is

3. maybe replace home phones, cell phones work anywhere, this needs wifi

4. it's a netbook of course its flexable

also, reading in the dark with a back light screen will kill your eyes 10x faster than reading in the light with a back light screen.

I think it's a handy device, but, anyone who reads on this for an extended period will get Eyestrain. its basically a 7" EEE pc (what I read on which killed my eyes) with a touch screen.

its nice, but its not even in the same league as the Kindle. this falls into "giant-PDA" device.. the apple tablet is gonna kill this anyway. though due to this device, if it becomes reasonably popular, might drive the price of apples tablet down a bit.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 03:08 AM   #60
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruskie View Post
... As for using LCD for reading I tried this a few times. Took about 5 minutes then I couldn't stand it anymore. Doing things on the LCD vs reading are two completly different things....
I have to agree with this sentiment.

Cheap? Yes, but you'll pay for it when you buy your first pair of prescription glasses.

I am also curious what the refresh rate of this thing is? As a simple test, look to the side of the screen - if you see flicker, it will kill your eyes.

I just can't get too excited about LCD for long reading purposes - that's why I am not waiting for Pixel Qi with baited breath.

Now, OLED is another thing, and I think the first company with a decent 9-10" OLED device will likely get my $$$. Money is very important, but I've got only 2 eyes to last me a lifetime, so I am willing to pay a bit more to keep them happy.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote