Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-21-2014, 09:22 AM   #271
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Agreed. It's certainly the way that I interpreted the T&C's, but as we saw here, different people can interpret things in different ways. At least I've made £2.45 out of my completely non-existent "problem" .
I hope you're giving that back to Amazon.

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:27 AM   #272
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh2000 View Post
Certainly not .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2014, 12:59 PM   #273
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Yes. It means that you may not "circumvent any territorial restrictions applied to Amazon's Products and Services". Downloading for the purpose of viewing in a different territory is absolutely attempting to "circumvent any territorial restrictions applied to Amazon's Products and Services".

The attached image is from https://help.netflix.com/en/node/14164?catId=en%2F131 The areas in red are the areas where the service is available.

Shari
Off topic, but looking at that map it's strange that Netflix is available in French Guiana but not France. That's somewhat like if Netflix were available in Hawaii but not the rest of the U.S.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:29 AM   #274
martienne
.~^пиратка^~.
martienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Onyx Boox M92
If anyone wants to see the debate "copyright lovers vs inncocent Swedish Bible reader" check out the Workshop forum https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...25#post2882225 .

I am seriously beginning to wonder what the deal is. Why do 5-6 people feel it necessary to lecture me about copyright in this thread?

I am a Swedish citizen, and as such I have a constitutional right to read all state documentation of Sweden. The State supported and funded the latest official bible translation (not available as an ebook) and it is available in full as deposition 2000:100.

I explain in the thread there is no issue whatsoever with me having my personal copy of it. Our constitution protects it. Yet everybody and his DOG starts lecturing me about it.

What's it to them? Are they tax payers in Sweden? They don't even know what they are talking about - what I am doing happened to be perfectly legal, but even if it wasn't why should a minor infringement in a language they don't even speak, bother them.

I don't understand what's going on here. Why is everybody such a fanatical copyright fan.
martienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:51 AM   #275
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martienne View Post
If anyone wants to see the debate "copyright lovers vs inncocent Swedish Bible reader" check out the Workshop forum https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...25#post2882225 .

I am seriously beginning to wonder what the deal is. Why do 5-6 people feel it necessary to lecture me about copyright in this thread?

I am a Swedish citizen, and as such I have a constitutional right to read all state documentation of Sweden. The State supported and funded the latest official bible translation (not available as an ebook) and it is available in full as deposition 2000:100.
In that case it is not piracy, and is irrelevant to the topic of this thread.
Advert
Old 07-25-2014, 07:10 AM   #276
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
In that case it is not piracy, and is irrelevant to the topic of this thread.
The relevant question was: I don't understand what's going on here. Why is everybody such a fanatical copyright fan.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:27 PM   #277
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:

I explain in the thread there is no issue whatsoever with me having my personal copy of it. Our constitution protects it. Yet everybody and his DOG starts lecturing me about it.

What's it to them? Are they tax payers in Sweden? They don't even know what they are talking about - what I am doing happened to be perfectly legal, but even if it wasn't why should a minor infringement in a language they don't even speak, bother them.

I don't understand what's going on here. Why is everybody such a fanatical copyright fan.
I cannot find any posts in this thread lecturing you or the Swedish bible or any other bible? Or anything smacking of copyright fandom for that matter. Or the explanation you speak of.

It seems that the Swedish bible is possibly one of the few that is not public domain although I am unclear on the topic.
http://falkvinge.net/2013/04/15/crea...opoly-holders/
Seems that the Swedish people are more copyright fans than most. But you can read it online.

The discussion is not aimed at you or your rights, but on the impact that the discussion could have on the future of publishing and the payment of authors.

Read your bible in health and happiness however you choose to do it.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:29 PM   #278
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
It seems that the Swedish bible is possibly one of the few that is not public domain although I am unclear on the topic.
No, almost (but not quite) all modern Bible translations are copyrighted works. Even the King James edition of the Bible is still protected by "Crown Copyright" in the UK.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:47 PM   #279
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No, almost (but not quite) all modern Bible translations are copyrighted works. Even the King James edition of the Bible is still protected by "Crown Copyright" in the UK.
Yes sorry I was unclear. Most languages seem to have a public domain version available and possibly Sweden does too. I didn't find one but I didn't look for hours.

Just trying to say there was no personal offense intended towards martienne and not quite sure why it was thought that there was or the point of the animosity displayed.

Oh well.

Helen
Old 07-25-2014, 12:54 PM   #280
martienne
.~^пиратка^~.
martienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshes

I hope that next time I ask for technical advice, I'll get only that, and not 15 copyright lectures. Alternatively if the topic is particularly close to somebody's heart, write one line as a quick reminder, or ideally PM to spare others having to see it.
What drives people to jump into unrelated threads and obsess about it, I don't know.

PS
And thank goodness, HMs wise gov't has censored all public torrent sites, in case I should get any dangerous, subversive, and criminal ideas! All you copyright lovers can relax.

Last edited by martienne; 07-25-2014 at 01:07 PM.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:09 PM   #281
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
I hope that next time I ask for technical advice, I'll get only that, and not 15 copyright lectures.
Extremely unlikely, I'm afraid.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:16 PM   #282
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
I hope that next time I ask for technical advice, I'll get only that, and not 15 copyright lectures. Alternatively if the topic is particularly close to somebody's heart, write one line as a quick reminder, or ideally PM to spare others having to see it.
What drives people to jump into unrelated threads and obsess about it, I don't know.

PS
And thank goodness, HMs wise gov't has censored all public torrent sites, in case I should get any dangerous, subversive, and criminal ideas! All you copyright lovers can relax.
You asked for technical advice in this thread and I believe Hitch was most helpful.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ight=martienne

You are complaining in a completely different thread to perhaps completely different people for some reason.

Not that anyone minds being wrongfully accused as I am sure you don't, but the people you are angry at possibly are not even reading this thread.

Helen
Old 07-25-2014, 01:28 PM   #283
martienne
.~^пиратка^~.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh2000 View Post

Andrew
So do I. Too right!

Let's all show our support of Amazon. The need and deserve those £2.50 much more than Harry. He'd probably just buy beer for it anyway!

After all, they have to actually start paying taxes in the UK now. So they need all the money they can get, poor long suffering corporation.

Don't you try to cheat them out of £2.50, Harry!
Old 07-25-2014, 08:27 PM   #284
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
So do I. Too right!

Let's all show our support of Amazon. The need and deserve those £2.50 much more than Harry. He'd probably just buy beer for it anyway!

After all, they have to actually start paying taxes in the UK now. So they need all the money they can get, poor long suffering corporation.

Don't you try to cheat them out of £2.50, Harry!
It is the hypocrisy that tends to get on peoples nerves. Harry goes on & on about pirates ripping off authors, and entitlement etc. and paying for everything. But he somehow doesn't equate it to applying to him when Amazon gives him money that he never gave them in the first place just for asking a question.

Right is right and wrong is wrong. Harry isn't entitled to the money anymore then a person who downloads from the DN is entitled to an unpaid for book!

If you are always going to spout black & white ideals, then you better make sure you don't then turn around a paint a target on your back for being hypocritical in being just as dishonest!
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:53 PM   #285
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
It is the hypocrisy that tends to get on peoples nerves. Harry goes on & on about pirates ripping off authors, and entitlement etc. and paying for everything. But he somehow doesn't equate it to applying to him when Amazon gives him money that he never gave them in the first place just for asking a question.

Right is right and wrong is wrong. Harry isn't entitled to the money anymore then a person who downloads from the DN is entitled to an unpaid for book!

If you are always going to spout black & white ideals, then you better make sure you don't then turn around a paint a target on your back for being hypocritical in being just as dishonest!
Huh? I get discounts, actual checks, free merchandise on occasion from companies I have not previously dealt with. I have received more money than I spent on two occasions when I complained about a product, but I did not misrepresent myself in any way or even ask for a refund.

I don't think Harry misrepresented himself or tried to gull Amazon into giving him money, and I doubt his message was misleading.

Perhaps he should try and give the money back, but it would possibly result in a mass of complications for all concerned.

I do not think taking something freely offered is the same thing as piracy, or in this case equates to hypocrisy or dishonesty either.

Helen