Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-10-2010, 11:14 AM   #1
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Giving up on e-books.

My enthusiasm is gone.

None of the new devices seems to offer any improvements over my Sony PRS-505, at least none that appeal to me.

More importantly, the general bull-headedness of publishers in regard to understanding and pricing e-books, has completely disillusioned me in regard to purchasing any e-books, from any publisher or retailer. DRM is still an issue, formats are still not standardized... the list goes on.

My PRS-505 is gathering dust, and I'm thoroughly enjoying my trips to Chicago's fantastic public libraries to check out my books.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:23 AM   #2
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
My enthusiasm is gone.

None of the new devices seems to offer any improvements over my Sony PRS-505, at least none that appeal to me.

More importantly, the general bull-headedness of publishers in regard to understanding and pricing e-books, has completely disillusioned me in regard to purchasing any e-books, from any publisher or retailer. DRM is still an issue, formats are still not standardized... the list goes on.

My PRS-505 is gathering dust, and I'm thoroughly enjoying my trips to Chicago's fantastic public libraries to check out my books.
I thought you can borrow books from the library on Sony readers through Overdrive?
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2010, 11:25 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You can borrow eBooks from the library to use with a 505.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:30 PM   #4
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Sorry to see you've lost your enthusiasm for e-reading, Taylor. The attraction of treebooks never goes away, though -- bit like your first girlfriend, I guess. Something will more appealing will come up soon, I think, that will lure you back into the fold. Ebooks ARE here to stay. You know it makes sense. Very best wishes. See you soon, I'm sure. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:36 PM   #5
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
My enthusiasm is gone.

I am just curious, what sort of improvements do you want to your ebook reader? There are readers with wifi, touch screens, etc. The latest Sony readers combine the best screen yet with an excellent touch screen.

Of course, part of your problem might be that the PRS-505 was such a good reader to start with. Even now, there are more than a few readers out there that could do worse than copy the PRS-505.

As for the availability of ebooks? Yeah, the Publishers refuse to recognize economic reality. That being said, you must be interested in new books? There are thousands of free Public Domain books available; enough to keep you reading forever.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2010, 12:40 PM   #6
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
I'm also sorry that you've become disillusioned, Taylor, although I can understand your reasons.

But you way: "None of the new devices seems to offer any improvements over my Sony PRS-505". Isn't that an argumentn for staying with the PRS-505, rather than abandoning the entire ebook scene?

Either way, I hope you don't turn your back entirely on the forum.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:42 PM   #7
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Quote:
My enthusiasm is gone.

Doesn't the PRS 350SC have a new and improved display? I read somewhere that sony had retooled their displays and raised prices for the readers. Aren't publishers bull headed about printed books as well? I thought that epub is a standardized ebook format.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 03:01 PM   #8
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
I thought you can borrow books from the library on Sony readers through Overdrive?
The selection here in Chicago is pretty grim.
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:03 PM   #9
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
Hmmmm... isn't it about the reading for the most part?
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:07 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManosHandsOfFate View Post
The selection here in Chicago is pretty grim.
So request they get eBooks you want. I do that sometimes.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:31 PM   #11
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But you live in Roslindale! It's awesome there.

- Former West Roxbury Resident
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:03 PM   #12
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Ha! I live in a small New England state. Our library has to pool with the other X number of libraries in the state and they ALL decide which ebooks they are going to get.

I've asked. Will continue to ask. But I'm not hopeful.

As for the original "giving up", I don't really understand. Sure, things aren't flowing smoothly in Ebookland, but they ARE flowing. My 505x2 looks just as good to me now as it did over a year ago. And I'm praying that when it does kick the bucket that I'll be able to pick up something better. I'm in no rush
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:46 PM   #13
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
I can't give up on my ereader. I still have 100 books on my TBR list I need to read first.

I can upgrade my reader though.

Hmmmmm...
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:25 PM   #14
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Much the same thing happened with music when MP3 players came out - everything was tied up in DRM and people complained of losing whole music libraries when they flushed their Ipod down the loo or some such disaster. Now public demand had forced a lot of music distributors to open up formats, make a better quality product and reduce the prices. It only takes one big distributor or publisher to really decide to open up the market and the others just follow. Just remember, there were people out there who objected to the introduction of the printing press because it would open up literature to the "masses"; how dare a "lower class" person receive an education! I think this spirit is alive and well and living in a lot of large publishing houses!
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:43 PM   #15
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
As Easy Reader from the Electric Company (Morgan Freeman) once said it best "I have got to read." So much so there is no longer any room to move around in my basement. EReaders have managed to spare my home of never ending clutter, the books were threatening to take over my living room in addition to the basement, which they have already over run.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	the_electric_company_thumb.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	60971  
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote