Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-14-2006, 04:27 AM   #1
Stuart Young
MobileRead Editor
Stuart Young has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: e61i / Eee PC / PRS-505
Windows 'Vista' Launch no longer delayed in Europe

Well well it looks as though the-powers-that-be in Redmond have sorted out the legal concerns brought by the EU. A Microsoft statement several months ago read:

Quote:
That Vista's European launch could be delayed because of the European Commission's concerns about its new flagship product harming competition.
However MS said on Friday they are now "on track" to release Visa as planned in January 2007. Alarms regarding the Vista EU release date started ringing back in March this year when the EU Commission said:

Quote:
"Microsoft must shoulder its own responsibilities to ensure that Vista is fully compliant with (EU) competition rules and in particular with the principles laid down in the March 2004 Commission anti-trust decision concerning Microsoft".
Don't forget Steve J. will also be busting out the lastest version of Mac OS aka Leopard around the time.

Original story via Yahoo here.
Stuart Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 09:03 AM   #2
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
It's odd how there seem to be beta versions of Vista out there, so lots of information is coming out, yet I don't get much of a feel for things like compatibility, what hardware is optimal, or what happened to the tight DRM controls integrated into the Intel chip were going to be a part of Vista. Maybe my head is just in the sand, but it makes me nervous to think I'm going to have to bite the bullet for a new PC, replacement and upgrades for all my software, and that many titles have the potential of not even being available anymore.

The one thing I did hear is that MS is including some kind of new licensing server that is required for large licensees. It is supposed to stop the rampant sharing of license numbers for enterprise licensing (and the mass pirated copies that show up in some countries across the world). But IT shops are becoming really concerned about the overhead to manage all that. Even small shops will have some new kind of new verification processes.

My own experience with licensing issues make me really leary of that sort of increased control because of the problems that can come up. Even with the existing Win XP, I had to reload my Dell computer after a crash, and not only did I have the nightmarish long hours of the reload, but the Windows OS complained that I didn't have a valid license. I had to make some phone calls and wait in phone queues to get it straightened out, and the whole process made me feel like I had done something wrong. Sort of like the painful process people had to go through to handle loss of MS Lit licenses due to those sorts of things also. (And no, I'm not trying to use OS copies. These issues arose even when trying to do things in the most simple way a customer would do it, and I used my original Dell Windows CD for the reload.)

So is anyone else wondering about that kind of mass obsolescence or future licensing headaches, or just me?
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2006, 09:20 AM   #3
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Young
Don't forget Steve J. will also be busting out the lastest version of Mac OS aka Leopard around the time.
I WILL?!? Gad... why doesn't someone tell me these things!

Seriously, I know I haven't heard anything about Vista that's been compelling enough to even consider moving past Windows 2000 yet. Everything I have read has just made Vista sound like way more trouble than it's worth. When I can't get Win2K to work anymore, I don't expect to switch to Vista, or any other version of Windows. I'm going Mac or Linux native.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 04:40 AM   #4
Stuart Young
MobileRead Editor
Stuart Young has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: e61i / Eee PC / PRS-505
I've started to think about it like this, I switched full time over to Mac's last year. I've been using Microsoft since the DOS days. Mac OS loads and has a memory footprint of approximately 100meg XP can easily chew up 420meg+ (approx) - Vista will probably need even more memory. - My point is for me Vista will have nothing new, and need a top notch machine to run happily.

I'm hoping to switch to an a MacBook Pro once the core duo 2 chips ship. Intend to Virtualise XP in order to use my Sony Reader.
Stuart Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 08:38 AM   #5
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Here's a perfect example of my licensing concerns with Vista...
http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/13/v...uter-transfer/

"Microsoft has now taken to limiting the number of times you can transfer your license legitimately to other computers. Unlike Windows XP, which previously allowed for unlimited license transfers between computers, Vista limits this transfer to a single time"

There may come a point at which the hassles for legitimate users are enough to push them in mass towards Linux. I'm considering it myself, except there are still a lot of programs that are still Win-only, like the Sony Reader software. Maybe one alternative is split it at first, i.e. go Vista on a laptop/tablet/umpc and linux with a desktop?
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2006, 09:28 AM   #6
b_k
Übernerd
b_k is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad
Microsoft will become enough problems concerning limiting transfer of a windows license from one PC to another. In Germany this will simply be because the MS EULA is not legally binding you, if you can't read it before making the contract.
So if I bought a Vista license and see the EULA first after I break the seal or start the install, I can throw it away. And as soon as I have to exchange the hardware, I can complain at my seller if I run into that limit and I'm sure he won't be to happy about that.
b_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 11:56 AM   #7
Kosst Amojan
Addict
Kosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
If I were Microsoft, I wouldn't even sell in Europe until they they agree I could do business there on MY terms. When the Europen consumers start their wailing and knawing of teeth, the Commission will give in. Seriously, the XP reduced version has sold what, 1,000 copies? And that's only the number that stores have bought to sell, I doubt half of those were actually sold. Europe needs Microsoft more then Microsoft needs Europe and makin' 'em sweat a bit is what they deserve after what they did.
Kosst Amojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 02:38 PM   #8
b_k
Übernerd
b_k is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad
Sorry but if Microsoft breaks the law, whos fault is that?

Personally I would think, if Microsoft would demonstrate what happens if we don't play like they want, they may shoot themself.
Linux is getting stronger and better (the non/less-existant support from hardware vendors, is not the fault of the Linux community). I admit, both Microsoft and the Linux community have obviously copied from Apple, but you know, the whole GUI idea started out as copying concepts if you go back in the history.
Look at Compiz and the hardware requirements, just for one example. I don't get why Vista needs that specs Microsoft published, only for a OS!
b_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 02:44 PM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_k
Sorry but if Microsoft breaks the law, who's fault is that?
That's a sticky question. Depends on whether the law was passed just so they'd be in vioation of it.

I'm not saying that's the case, I don't have the least idea, just pointing out that there's sometimes a difference between illegal and wrong
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote