Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-27-2010, 08:46 AM   #76
icemncmth
Enthusiast
icemncmth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.icemncmth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.icemncmth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: BeBook (dead), Sony PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
No, but I'm a quivering mass of protoplasm.....

Whack...Whack..Whack...Whack...!!! Looking...Whack..Whack..!!

Touching..smack..smack..

Just making sure the horse is really dead!
icemncmth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:08 AM   #77
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I'm sure I'll really regret it after the Apple Tablet announcement today!

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2010, 08:11 AM   #78
Harry001
Addict
Harry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enough

Device: palmone lifedrive+sonyreader 505+NookColor+HPTouchpad \32GB+NookSimple
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I'm sure I'll really regret it after the Apple Tablet announcement today!

I will help you - just send it to me and you don't have to suffer anymore

keep reading
harry
Harry001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:35 AM   #79
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
We ask questions trying to help and the OP refuses to give any answers. So my answer is no more help to the OP who refuses to help us help him.

For all we know his problems could be his fault.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:52 PM   #80
RonF
Zealot
RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-300, K3 WiFi, K4 NT, PW2
Quote:
dubyajay
Send Message User Lists
Last Activity: 01-18-2010 06:54 PM
So he makes the post and doesn't return. Thread should be locked and/or moved to the trash
RonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2010, 11:05 PM   #81
usfbull
usfbull began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS600
I have a bunch of sony products and I find their support exceptional. My reader screen (600) looked like it broke even though there were no scratches on the unit and they promtly sent me a replacement unit even though a broken screen isn't covered by the warrantee. I got the replacement unit in 2 days and included the return ticket in the box for me to send them my old unit. I did pay for the shipping over the phone though ($30). On a related Sony support note, They also sent out a technition to replace a part in my tv that broke and it was all covered under the warrantee. Under both accounts they did a great job and I will certainly recomend Sony products in the future.

Last edited by usfbull; 02-05-2010 at 11:24 PM.
usfbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:40 AM   #82
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Didn't Gandalf say that trolls smell bad?
Hear! Hear!
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:31 AM   #83
iain_benson
Connoisseur
iain_benson began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
This thread seems to have died before I finished my test, but I just thought I'd add my results. From fully charged, reading a PDF at medium zoom with 1017 page turns before switching to an LRF at small zoom I got the following life and number of page turns ...

Dropped to 3 bars after 3 days & 255 turns
Dropped to 2 bars after 2 days & 189 turns
Dropped to 1 bar after 1 day & 117 turns - looking bad at this point, then ...
Dropped to 0 bars after 4 days & 579 turns - 456 of these were the PDF, 123 the LRF
Became non-responsive after 2 days & 157 turns - included a few reboots

So, in total I got 1297 page turns over a period of 12 days, with the best battery life being during the last bar, and a reasonable amount with zero bars.
iain_benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:56 AM   #84
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the follow up.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:41 AM   #85
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by iain_benson View Post
This thread seems to have died before I finished my test, but I just thought I'd add my results. From fully charged, reading a PDF at medium zoom with 1017 page turns before switching to an LRF at small zoom I got the following life and number of page turns ...

Dropped to 3 bars after 3 days & 255 turns
Dropped to 2 bars after 2 days & 189 turns
Dropped to 1 bar after 1 day & 117 turns - looking bad at this point, then ...
Dropped to 0 bars after 4 days & 579 turns - 456 of these were the PDF, 123 the LRF
Became non-responsive after 2 days & 157 turns - included a few reboots

So, in total I got 1297 page turns over a period of 12 days, with the best battery life being during the last bar, and a reasonable amount with zero bars.
Sounds expected. The 2 week limit becomes the real limit in this case, although the battery meter calibration is a tad off.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:40 PM   #86
dubyajay
dubyajay began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader prs600
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
We ask questions trying to help and the OP refuses to give any answers. So my answer is no more help to the OP who refuses to help us help him.

For all we know his problems could be his fault.
As I wrote in a previous post, I wasn't looking for help...just letting people know of my experience with the product and the service. I believe I answered all of your questions in previous posts but in reality, any assistance you were trying to provide wouldn't help because the product was defective. Thanks for the effort, but sony has replaced two readers so far because they were defective.

The end of the story:
It took about 3 weeks to get Sony to send the proper UPS ticket so I could send the second reader back to them. After I was finally able to send it back, I waited another month with no word from Sony. Then I tried to call their laredo office (where the unit was sent) using the phone number provided by sony, and nobody answered the phone for 5 days. So I called another sony customer service number to explain that I was waiting for sony to replace a reader, nobody was answering the phone to let me know what was going on and I had been waiting for a month. That sony rep tried calling the laredo office and nobody was answering when she called either. I waited another 5 days and someone called me and said they'd be sending me a new reader, which they did. This one holds a better charge than either of the other two.

I can't say I'm as ecstatic about the thing as a lot of people on these forums but it's better than the two previous ones I had. Maybe the people who don't like the Reader don't go on the forums since it is probably mothballed somewhere in their house and they don't feel the need to go on a forum to discuss it. Mine may end up there some day too.
dubyajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:54 PM   #87
dubyajay
dubyajay began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader prs600
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonF View Post
So he makes the post and doesn't return. Thread should be locked and/or moved to the trash
Hi Ron,
I did return. Several times. I answered all the questions asked even though they had nothing to do with the original post. For the record I did not have my reader for several weeks because Sony took their sweet time (over a month) sending me the 3rd replacement so I had no need to come here to discuss something I did not even have.

I'm sorry I did not maintain the post. I was not aware that I was responsible to host the post forever. I will keep that in mind if I ever start a new thread which is highly unlikely given the tone of your post.
I'm just here for some civilized conversation but if people can be that rude here, it may not be a forum where I want to contribute anything.

I do think this thread created some good discussion and definitely should not go in the trash. I'm not sure why you feel the need to be so harsh.
dubyajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:54 AM   #88
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyajay View Post
Hi Ron,
I did return. Several times. I answered all the questions asked even though they had nothing to do with the original post. For the record I did not have my reader for several weeks because Sony took their sweet time (over a month) sending me the 3rd replacement so I had no need to come here to discuss something I did not even have.

I'm sorry I did not maintain the post. I was not aware that I was responsible to host the post forever. I will keep that in mind if I ever start a new thread which is highly unlikely given the tone of your post.
I'm just here for some civilized conversation but if people can be that rude here, it may not be a forum where I want to contribute anything.

I do think this thread created some good discussion and definitely should not go in the trash. I'm not sure why you feel the need to be so harsh.
It's called confirmation bias, and it's a big part of most product-oriented communities. Don't worry too much about it.

I am not a big Sony fan and I like to take pot shots at ebook readers in general as I dislike the current state of the hardware and software, but I try to avoid writing very long, zealous one-sided complaints.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 05:52 PM   #89
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyajay View Post
What you did is generally called dive-bombing. It tends to irritate people. And frankly, most forums are happier without dive-bombers "contributing" what they contribute, which is disruption and flameage.

Civilized conversation topic: "I've had problems with two different Sony Readers. Is this common?"

Dive-bombing topic: Advice: do not buy a Sony Reader. Battery issues and support sucks.

One is a question about shared experiences. The other is a personal opinion couched as an authoritative statement of fact. The latter is, in essence, telling all the happy Sony Reader owners that we made the wrong decision. If I started a thread called "That guy with the battery problems is just too stupid to use a Sony Reader" you'd be rather irate, wouldn't you? But that's what you've said to us: we made a bad decision in our choice of ebook devices and we're just too ignorant or stupid to realize it, but you're going to tell us how it is.

You're free to present your opinions as fact, of course, and tell everyone to do as you say, but you can't expect people to react positively to being told they're wrong, stupid, and ignorant. Your actions, from the title you chose for your post to your spammy replies to every comment individually, ending with the the "you're all so meeeeeean!" post, are typical of a troll, not a genuine user. I'm actually surprised that people reacted with as much restraint as they did. Nobody can see inside your head, so we have to call 'em as we see 'em. So if you're not a troll, not acting like one would be a good start on convincing people of that.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:50 PM   #90
kennyc

Well Said WW!

Tags
battery, don't buy it, pdf, prs-600, sony reader