Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-23-2013, 12:39 PM   #16
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Penny, thanks for your information. When I have time I will read everything over and see if I want to give it a go.

However none of your links work!

Can you repost the links?

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:22 PM   #17
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
Ok, I fixed the links...sorry.

Reminder..I have the HD+ so if you have the HD then I would use this image:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/atta...7&d=1360015493

(the above image replaces the
http://forum.xda-developers.com/atta...6&d=1368660885 that is in my first post.)

and then put the extras zip on the card once the image is made.

Hope I am not too confusing. It is really easy.

Pennyc

Last edited by mystika1; 06-23-2013 at 01:27 PM.
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:20 PM   #18
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Penny for the revised links. A few questions. Once I boot up the Nook with the prepared sd card, then how do I get the APK onto the Nook?

Once the APK is on the Nook, do you just remove the SD card and reboot and the Nook will be back to its original firmware with the new APK?

--Pat
Old 06-23-2013, 06:22 PM   #19
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Just because I wanted to try it out, I bought the downloadable N2A program for the Nook HD+ (just because I didn't want to bother with the other process myself - sheer laziness on my part) and put it on a 32GB microSDHC card.

The process was simple, but long. It took about two hours for the program to unpack and install itself on the SD card via my laptop card reader, due to the 32GB size.

My Nook now boots into CM10 when starts up. I installed a program called Quick Boot that allows me to switch over to the B&N version without removing the SD card. Quick Boot can't be used on the Nook side, so when you power off the device while on the Nook side, it will restart on the CM10 side.

What's interesting is that when I check the core speeds using CPU-Z, in the Nook side the cores show an individual speed of 396 MHz at resting state, while in the CM side the cores show an individual speed of 800 MHz at resting state.

Last edited by Xanthe; 06-23-2013 at 06:31 PM.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:24 PM   #20
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok..once you reboot the nook with the sd card inserted the nook will boot from the sd card. Once booted, you will see the option to install update via sd card. scroll to choose the extras zip that you drag and dropped onto the sdcard. This update enables "unknown sources" on the nook. After the update is complete...reboot the nook and remove the sd card. Now you will be able to download any apk from the web and have the option to insall it directly from the nook itself.

Penny
Old 06-25-2013, 07:33 AM   #21
PatNY
Zennist

Success!

Yesterday I made the CWM sd card and flashed the modification. I then was able to sideload apps that the system previously refused to accept. I now have USA Today, Yelp, TV Guide Mobile and Amazon Local -- all apps I can't download directly from Google Play because of the lack of GPS. And all of them work just fine with the Nook HD. This requirement to have GPS in order to download some apps is ridiculous and unnecessary. I could see why the restriction would make sense for some maps apps, but not for those apps I wanted.

The process was really easy. The only glitch I had was applying the image to the sd card. It didn't work and in fact wrecked my micro sd card. I don't know what I did wrong at that step. Good thing it was just a 4gb card. So instead I used the alternative method to prepare another card -- setting the first partition as active and dropping the 5 boot files onto it. I think that method is easier anyway.

At any rate, I now have the original interface and navigation that my Nook came with and which I wanted to keep, but it is modded to allow easy sideloading of apks.

Thanks, Penny, for your links and information!

--Pat

Last edited by PatNY; 06-25-2013 at 08:09 AM.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:05 PM   #22
mystika1
Addict

You are welcome.

Penny
Old 07-04-2013, 05:35 PM   #23
lifer109
lifer109 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle keyboard and now Nook HD+
Got a new HD+ 32gb during the father's day sale. Was quite perturbed to discover that even after B&N put in the Google Play Store, system wouldn't let me install anything outside of that or their site.
Not enough research on my part I guess. So, I was tempted to return. But it IS a really nice tablet for the price. SO, that led me to search for an answer as I have several apps that I really wanted to install and use. Played with the android developer site and d/ls, but kept having issues with connecting.. So I broke down and got an mSD card and followed Mystika1's instructions below.

Easy Peasy....Worked seamlessly. found SD formatter, and used it. Found the disk imager, and after unzipping the first zip to get to the image, installed the image. Then dropped the extra's zip.
Powered down the Nook, installed the card and crossing my fingers, powered up. Oh, you use the volume controls to select install the zip file once the CM boot is up. and after confirmed the install, it took seconds. I then powered down, removed the card and rebooted my Nook. It came up with nothing missing, a new launcher it seemed to install and then went to Amazon. Installed their app and then a free selection. Both installs worked great.
THANK YOU Mysticka1!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystika1 View Post
Instead of me typing I copied and pasted a reply I made to a different thread. You don't need to root to install apk's. You just need to enable unknown sources. I have the HD+ so you would have to use the appropriate download to create the sdcard.

I used this thread

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2062613

I downloaded sdformatter from the web to format an old sdcard that I had in the closet.
I also downloaded Win32DiskImager from the web and installed it on my computer and used it to install the following image file onto the sdcard

http://forum.xda-developers.com/atta...6&d=1368660885

after that was created I just drag and dropped the following zip onto the sdcard

http://forum.xda-developers.com/atta...4&d=1367889100

My nook was powered down and I inserted the card and let the Nook boot up and installed the zip. It is not complicated at all. Most people think that they need "root" to enjoy their Nook. I had to root my old nook tablet to get it like I wanted it but the new Nook HD and HD+ are much better(IMHO)and don't need it.

Penny

Last edited by lifer109; 07-04-2013 at 05:39 PM.
lifer109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:24 PM   #24
khahoon
Connoisseur
khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: generic
Quote:
Originally Posted by guanaco View Post
Thanks to both answerers (is that a word?). I think I should use the word "sideload", because by 3rd party apps I mean applications which are not on Google Play.

Anyways, if I can sideload apk files then the tablets look very desirable

You can sideload them, if you install ANdroid sdk along with Nook Adb usb drivers. I did that and it works. I install F-droid using sideloading however to be able to install apps within f-droid you need to enable unknowh sources patch, you can find them on xda forums.
khahoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:27 PM   #25
guanaco
Recovering reader
guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
About the original question in post #1, I decided to pull the trigger and got the 16GB version of the Nook HD+.

At first, "adb devices" came empty. But after some hours fiddling with the settings and several reboots of my laptop, now the tablet is recognized and I'm able to sideload 3rd party apps using "adb install". Thus, I don't see a reason for rooting the tablet. At least not yet .

Just for the record, maybe somebody is in the same situation, I followed the instructions found in this page.
guanaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:52 AM   #26
PatNY
Zennist

The good thing about the sideloading solution Penny pointed out is that once you make the minor mod to the stock firmware, your Nook HD/HD+ won't even have to sideload most apps that Google Play previously "hid" from the device due to hardware limitations. Almost all of them now show up in Google Play as compatible with your device and you can download them normally. So you don't even need to get APKs to sideload.

USA Today, Yelp, NBC News, TV Guide ... all these apps I couldn't download before the mod but now show up normally in Google Play. Interestingly, the only exception to that is Amazon Local. I don't think there is anything intentional there since Amazon Mobile shows up fine. Must just be something quirky. So Amazon Local is the only app I've had to sideload.

Bottom line is the mod not only allows sideloading of apps, but it tricks Google Play into thinking your Nook HD/HD+ has more hardware features than it really has!

--Pat
Old 07-07-2013, 11:49 PM   #27
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
The only glitch I had was applying the image to the sd card. It didn't work and in fact wrecked my micro sd card
You can try recovering the card using sdformatter with "Full (OverWrite)" option.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:51 PM   #28
PatNY
Zennist

Quote:
Originally Posted by livramax View Post
You can try recovering the card using sdformatter with "Full (OverWrite)" option.
When the card went "bad" I tried formatting it in Windows, disk partitioning apps I had, and even sdformatter. Nothing was working and so I was just going to throw it away. For some reason I didn't.

When I saw your post, I thought, what the heck, why not try once more. So I opened up sdformatter, used the middle option (I think it's full erase) and it worked!

So thanks for the suggestion. I might have tried again in the future but I probably would have just thrown it away eventually without trying again.

--Pat
Old 07-10-2013, 02:36 PM   #29
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
When the card went "bad" I tried formatting it in Windows, disk partitioning apps I had, and even sdformatter. Nothing was working and so I was just going to throw it away. For some reason I didn't.

When I saw your post, I thought, what the heck, why not try once more. So I opened up sdformatter, used the middle option (I think it's full erase) and it worked!

So thanks for the suggestion. I might have tried again in the future but I probably would have just thrown it away eventually without trying again.

--Pat
You probably could have also wiped it in Windows Disk Management. It was probably formatted or partitioned in a way that Windows doesn't understand (Linux EXT2/EXT4 file system, etc).

Windows->System->Administrative Tools->Create and Format hard disk partitions. You'd probably have seen the device here (it shows devices even without valid file systems on them), and you could have right click/wiped it there. But you can also do some damage there to a secondary disk drive or something if you aren't PC saavy and wipe the wrong device.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:22 PM   #30
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
You probably could have also wiped it in Windows Disk Management. It was probably formatted or partitioned in a way that Windows doesn't understand (Linux EXT2/EXT4 file system, etc).

Windows->System->Administrative Tools->Create and Format hard disk partitions.
I tried that Windows Disk Management route when I had the problem -- it didn't work.

I think the problem has to do with the GPT vs. MSDOS Partition Table formats.

Last edited by livramax; 07-12-2013 at 08:31 PM.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote