Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-13-2012, 09:11 AM   #16
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Okay, now I need a copy of the new 5.1.0 diags_kernel.img. You can extract one from /dev/mmcblk0 using the "getkernels" script: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=174674
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:36 AM   #17
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh... Goody... Goody... Goody... My new jailbreak still works with the new diags partition (unless a new diags kernel somehow stops it -- but unlikely).

Just drop two files on the USB drive (one of them is a ENABLE_DIAGS that contains the payload). Reboot, select a menu item, and it runs. I am happy.

So, the question is -- should we publish this now, or should we stick with the "flash a custom diags with SSH"? I plan to add missing SSH files to the new 5.1.0 diags partition so that can be what we flash... [Done! My 5.1.0 diags has SSH. I put the mario passwd hash in the new mmcblk0p2_ssh.img file, and I successfully logged in with SSH from NUZX menu in 5.1.0 diags. All good... ]

Last edited by geekmaster; 04-13-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:54 AM   #18
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Okay, now I need a copy of the new 5.1.0 diags_kernel.img. You can extract one from /dev/mmcblk0 using the "getkernels" script: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=174674
do you still need it?

Last edited by thomass; 04-13-2012 at 11:11 AM.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:09 AM   #19
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
So we could get an 5.1 ssh diags to flash this instead going via the 5.0? And we would just have to wait few time for the new jailbreak?
Would be great!
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:20 AM   #20
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
do you still need it?
Yes. I still want a 5.1.0 diags kernel image.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:27 AM   #21
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes. I still want a 5.1.0 diags kernel image.
Can I create it directly via putty? How?
Old 04-13-2012, 11:42 AM   #22
geekmaster

Quote:
Can I create it directly via putty? How?
As I mentioned in a previous post that you quoted above, copy the getkernels script to your usb drive, ssh in and run it:

getkernels /dev/mmcblk0

It will create main and diags kernel images. Zip them and put them somewhere (like mediafire, for example) and give me the link.

Last edited by geekmaster; 04-13-2012 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:46 AM   #23
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by diba View Post
So we could get an 5.1 ssh diags to flash this instead going via the 5.0? And we would just have to wait few time for the new jailbreak?
Would be great!
The mmcblk0p2_ssh image is now diags version 5.1.0.

The "forensic images" links in the "simple debricking" first post have been replaced with this:

http://pastebin.com/CBQXJfL1

It is a pastebin with the URLs to all the downloads. They are not clickable links. They need "cut and paste" which hopefully can function as a very primitive "noob filter", and it provides a level of indirection just to avoid potential problems.

Last edited by geekmaster; 04-13-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:53 AM   #24
thomass
Wizard

Sorry but after successfully executing this command I couldn't find img files on /mnt/us ?

EDIT: found them

Last edited by thomass; 04-13-2012 at 12:33 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:02 PM   #25
geekmaster

Quote:
Sorry but after successfully executing this command I couldn't find img files on /mnt/us ?
It worked for me.

Did you do it from ssh? Was /mnt/us your local directory?

Another way to use it is to backup 32MB of mmcblk0:

dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=/mnt/us/mmcblk0.img bs=4K count=8K

Then you can run the script on that file either in the kindle or on a linux PC:

getkernels mmcblk0.img

EDIT: Does the "deleted" mean that you found the images? If so, I will delete this one too. You can replace your deleted post with a link to the images, and I will replace this one with a "thank you" post.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:11 PM   #26
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
It worked for me.

Did you do it from ssh? Was /mnt/us your local directory?
I deleted my message since I fixed it. my local directory was /var/tmp/root. uploading now.

EDIT: Sorry for the delay. here it is: http://db.tt/881STnF1

Last edited by thomass; 04-13-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:17 PM   #27
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
Noob question, isn't it possible to create a mmbclk0p2.img of an already jailbroken 5.1?
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:25 PM   #28
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
It is, but why would you want the diags partition of a jailbroken 5.1? The jailbreak lives in the "main" partition

I think I know where you're trying to go, but the images are really only there for recovery purposes if something seriously fucks up. Plus, actually "flashing" the images is not exactly trivial either. So no, a full-fledged image of 300 MB is not a good substitute for a 20 kB jailbreak
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:31 PM   #29
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
It is, but why would you want the diags partition of a jailbroken 5.1? The jailbreak lives in the "main" partition

I think I know where you're trying to go, but the images are really only there for recovery purposes if something seriously fucks up. Plus, actually "flashing" the images is not exactly trivial either. So no, a full-fledged image of 300 MB is not a good substitute for a 20 kB jailbreak
Agreed. I received a couple of PMs saying to save the exploit for later, but I think smaller is better. I will release it soon...
Old 04-13-2012, 12:34 PM   #30
geekmaster

Both the kernels from rastik and from thomass are bad in the same way. This is strange because I tested the code on both an image and mmc device. I suppose that last speedup made it twitchy -- perhaps I uploaded the wrong script. The OLDER ones work. Try one that is not the latest version and check to make sure that "Linux-" is within the first 40 bytes of the file. Thanks.

I will download the latest script and see why it no longer works for you. Hmm.. :-(

Yes... Last minute change bit me. I removed the two lines that reset $S1 and $S2 and now it works (version 1.3). That last little speed enhancement went awry... But fixed now. Anyway, I have good new images created with version 1.1 getkernels script. Thanks guys. And I am glad we caught and fixed the bug in the v1.2 script too.

Last edited by geekmaster; 04-13-2012 at 01:06 PM.