Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats

Notices

Old 05-08-2009, 02:42 AM   #1
tuufbiz1
tuufbiz1 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
how to use python script with windows xp

I have a non-drm mobi ebook and I'm trying to run kindlefix.py and I keep getting the same error message "no module named prc. I've placed the script and ebook in same folder and ran the python script from the command prompt after I changed the directory to appropriate folder. I typed: kindlefix.py ebook.mobi kindlePID. Do I use the kindle serial# or the generated mobi PID from the kindlepid.py script? I used both yet still get the same error message. What am I doing wrong?
tuufbiz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:00 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I don't understand. If the book has no DRM then why the need for KindleFix?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2009, 03:59 PM   #3
tuufbiz1

thanks for the insight

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I don't understand. If the book has no DRM then why the need for KindleFix?

I didn't realize that you could read non-azw files on the kindle without amazon converting it first.

If you have the mobidedrm script then no need for kindlefix at all??

Just out of curiosity I tried the kindlefix with a DRM .prc file and still got the same error message.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:21 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuufbiz1 View Post
Just out of curiosity I tried the kindlefix with a DRM .prc file and still got the same error message.
There is a second source file that comes with kindlefix, named prc.py. Copy this into the same directory as kindlefix.py and the error should go away.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 04:24 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If you have the mobidedrm script then no need for kindlefix at all?
Correct. The difference is that kindlefix leaves the DRM in place and mobidedrm removes it. It is therefore ironic that Amazon (which owns MobiPocket) objected to discussion of kindlefix but not to mobidedrm.
Advert
Old 05-08-2009, 05:16 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My guess is that Amazon makes more money per AZW eBook sold then per Mobipocket eBook. And so they'd want Kindle owners to have to purchase DRMed content from them directly so they can make more money.

One thing.. if you've installed Python 3.0, uninstall it and install the latest Python 2.6.x from http://www.python.org
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:12 PM   #7
tuufbiz1

still a bit confused with python script usage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
There is a second source file that comes with kindlefix, named prc.py. Copy this into the same directory as kindlefix.py and the error should go away.

I copied the prc.py to the common directory and still can't get this thing to work. I took a mobi DRM book that I purchased that has a PID generated for the computer that I'm using. I took this file and typed the following:
kindlefix.py mobiDRMbook.prc kindlePID ----- I get an error message saying its the wrong PID. The kindlePID that used was generated from kindlepid.py.
What is the logic here? Can this kindlefix script convert a DRM mobi file to a kindle azw file? If so, don't I need to include somewhere in the command the mobiPID and the kindlePID? Or is the kindlefix script just for a non-DRM mobi file and you're adding DRM to it using the kindlePID.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:24 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader

kindlefix only works on MOBIs from OverDrive (not from mobipocket.com), which typically means lending library MOBIs or some from Books on Board (they tell you if it is from Overdrive or Mobipocket). You then need to add the Kindle's PID your list at the provider's site, download the ebook, and then run kindlefix with the Kindle PID. The reason that mobipocket MOBIs don't work, is that they won't let you add the Kindle PID to your list of PIDs.

In contrast, mobidedrm works with any MOBI ebook and with any PID in that ebook. That is because it is circumventing the DRM, kindlefix just allows the DRM to work on the Kindle (hence you need the Kindle PID inside the MOBI).
Old 05-08-2009, 07:52 PM   #9
tuufbiz1

thanks for the clarification

Quote:
kindlefix only works on MOBIs from OverDrive (not from mobipocket.com), which typically means lending library MOBIs or some from Books on Board (they tell you if it is from Overdrive or Mobipocket). You then need to add the Kindle's PID your list at the provider's site, download the ebook, and then run kindlefix with the Kindle PID. The reason that mobipocket MOBIs don't work, is that they won't let you add the Kindle PID to your list of PIDs.

In contrast, mobidedrm works with any MOBI ebook and with any PID in that ebook. That is because it is circumventing the DRM, kindlefix just allows the DRM to work on the Kindle (hence you need the Kindle PID inside the MOBI).

Was the kindlefix script written before mobidedrm was developed? If not, then why would anyone want to use it? Is it an attempt to avoid "snooping" by amazon on all non-azw files being read on the kindle?
Old 05-08-2009, 11:23 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Was the kindlefix script written before mobidedrm was developed? If not, then why would anyone want to use it? Is it an attempt to avoid "snooping" by amazon on all non-azw files being read on the kindle?
For library checkout and not breaking any legal agreement they have with the library. MobiDRM use may be illegal where you live for any use but will certainly break the agreement with the library.

Just because you can get away with it doesn't necessarily make it the right thing to do.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:31 PM   #11
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Was the kindlefix script written before mobidedrm was developed?
Yes. It also worked on all DRMed MOBI files until Amazon told MobiPocket to stop accepting Kindle PIDs. The other difference is that kindlefix is entirely legal in the US. It is legal to use mobidedrm for some purposes in the US, but the Dark Reverser could be prosecuted in the US for writing it and you have to dig around to find it. In contrast, kindlefix has a known author and is posted on a mainstream blog site. Amazon threw its weight around at MobileRead about kindlepid, but there was never any chance of them going to court with such a flimsy claim.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:29 AM   #12
jmccu
jmccu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I have MS Vista and I'm having problems with Command Prompt. All software has been downloaded and are in the correct folders. I can not get the prc's to convert to azw's. I think it how I am typing the code into Command Prompt. Any tips? Thanks for the help.

I typing the following:
C:\Users\J*****>kindlefix.py HuckFinn.prc 1M*****
jmccu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:22 AM   #13
picky-picasso
picky-picasso began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Don't know why I didn't assume the most obvious - the error message is correct, it's looking for a module named prc.py. I just assumed the import prc line had something to do with the prc file (the library book had a prc extension). I had been using this fix for a while, then rebuilt a laptop and recopied the files. Somehow I must have neglected this file - or I think it was in the Python folder in my original set-up and found by the path. I probably only moved kindlefix.py so my new set-up didn't have prc.py anywhere. Anyhow, thanks again. Works like a charm (as it did before!)

pp

Quote:
picky-picasso is offline   Reply With Quote