Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-26-2013, 06:15 PM   #76
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
My Nook HD has really become my go-to device for both reading and quick surfing. I'm liking the UC Browser on it - loads quickly, has easy tab shifting, and tapping the screen enlarges and resizes the webpage for easier reading much better than the other browsers, IMO. I'm using the Moon+ Reader; I really can't stand the Kindle/Nook/Kobo readers because they are so limited in function.

I haven't rooted it, just added an SD card for all my books, music and videos, and I use the launcher that came with it. I've got the 16GB version but I wish the HD came in a native 32GB version since all the programs seem to load onto the internal drive and between games for me and games for the kidlets, I've got it pretty filled up already.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:07 PM   #77
bjbla
bjbla began at the beginning.

Device: Nook HD + and Nook HD
I have both the Nook HD+ and the Nook HD. Both have the added benefit of the sd card slot and beautiful screen. I use the smaller one to put in my purse also since the larger one does not fit, unless I want to buy a larger bag, not. I am very happy with my nooks and recommend it to everyone. I was just on an airplane and had ppl ask me what kind of tablet. I showed them movies I have put on it and how clear and wonderful it is.
bjbla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2013, 06:39 PM   #78
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
The Nook hd+ may be the best deal in tablets, a device that has a 9 inch 1920×1280 screen with a decent processor, access to google play, and a microsd card slot for only $149, which is the same price as most 1280×800 7 inch tablets. I use it for reading pdfs(with ezpdf reader), surfing the web(firefox), and watching videos. The kindle fire hd is still my go to ebook reading device because I prefer the smaller form factor for ebook reading.

Last edited by spellbanisher; 10-27-2013 at 06:47 PM.
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:30 AM   #79
jscarbo
Addict
jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW2, Nook HD+, Nexus 7
I love my HD+ and agree that it's one of the best deals in tablets. I just posted detailed comments about this in another thread which I won't repeat here. For anyone considering an android tablet, you can read my recommendation here (post #60): https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...87#post2668687
jscarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:06 PM   #80
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
For anyone holding out, today only on ebay the HD+ 32GB is $124.99!

This is manufacturer refurbished. I have never seen this price on the 32gb.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2013, 12:26 AM   #81
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post

Ha, I'm tempted just for the space upgrade over my 16GB HD+, with all the headaches I've been having over Google's (and a few other apps/services) war on external storage. There's still nothing else with a similar screen at even twice that price. Granted it would just be surrendering to their insistence that I shouldn't be allowed to manage my own device. At this point my 64GB SD card is all but useless because the files I want to access are coming from Play Music or Kindle or Google Books or Comixology or Nook, none of which will use the actual SD card (as opposed to the internal storage named "SD card"). My user experience is penalized if I choose to pay for my media, whereas I could use more flexible apps and tell them where to look for my media if I were pirating, stripping DRM and/or format-shifting :/
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:25 AM   #82
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
Ha, I'm tempted just for the space upgrade over my 16GB HD+, with all the headaches I've been having over Google's (and a few other apps/services) war on external storage.
If you are having space issues, then you should get the bigger one. I wish the 7" came in 32gb.

I first discovered the limitations you are talking about last year. I had gotten my daughter a Lenovo A2107 8gb. The card slot was utterly useless. The tablet itself was complete garbage, it was so stuffed with Lenovo's bloatware, (and the screen was terrible). She could hardly run any apps without running out of space. After about 7 months, I sold it and got her the 16gb Nook HD. So far she has not run into any limitations. She is very happy with her Nook!
Old 10-30-2013, 12:05 AM   #83
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post

Wow, that was a good bargain. But they already raised the price to $149. Still it's a good deal, even at that price. If I hadn't gotten my HD+ (at $99!) I would have jumped at the 32gb version for $125.

For anyone wondering, those units "refurbished" by B&N are in mint condition. They are barely used, if at all. Mine was from 1Sale and the only way that I could tell it was "refurbished" is a Barnes & Noble sticker put on the retail box that says "Certified Pre-Owned Nook." Otherwise, if it was put side by side next to a brand new unit, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

For anyone short of internal space on their devices, you might want to try an app called FolderMount which moves big app data files to the external SD card. I don't have any space issues currently, but was curious if it worked, so I tried it with 2 of my apps that had huge database files, and it seems to do the job fine. The app is free but you can only use it to move the data for 3 apps to the external card. The paid version has no limits, and it also lets you relocate more types of files.

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:46 AM   #84
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

I've used one called Apps2SD in the past, but haven't tried it on our Nook HDs. I'll have to play around and see if it works.

ETA - that app doesn't work the way it used to on other tablets I've had.

Last edited by booklover6; 10-30-2013 at 06:44 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:04 PM   #85
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I was able to overcome my Google Music space issues using the instructions in this thread. The first time I tried it, Google Music was creating its file directories under /sdcard/Android/data/com.google.android.music, and a symlink couldn't be created there. The accidental solution was to use leapinlar's SD Swap file, which doesn't work very well for its intended purpose, but I think it made the internal SD card inaccessible to the Google Music app. So, when I cleared the app data and restarted the app, it created its file directories at /data/data/com.google.android.music, where a symlink works just fine. I flashed the undo file for the SD Swap and placed the symlink, and now all my downloaded music is routed to my ample SD card

Now I'm just trying to replicate those results on my phone, but no luck so far :/
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:15 PM   #86
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
1Sale has the 32GB HD+ as today's special for $119.

http://1sale.com/electronics/compute...noble-nook-hd/

I just fired up the 16GB that I bought from Staples a few days ago. Having myself some fun!!! Loving this 9" screen!

ETA: The 1Sale offering is factory reburbished.

Last edited by DianNC; 10-31-2013 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Add info
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:25 PM   #87
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post

ETA: The 1Sale offering is factory reburbished.
I got a refurbished 16gb HD+ from 1Sale and it looked brand new. Moreover, it came in retail packaging and with a 1-year warranty.

I notice the ones in the sale you linked to come in a brown box and with only a 90 day warranty. So these appear to be a different batch, possibly from a different supplier. I'd be careful here since the warranty is just 90 days. Still, it's a good price.

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:57 PM   #88
Chapter One
Screen Swiper
Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STwG, Nook HD+, Kindle Voyage.
I have had my HD+ for a week now and have had a good play with it. Over all, I am extremely happy with it. Its much better quality than I was expecting for the money.

I do have a few issues with it, as I expected too given I am not in the US and so global restrictions are causing a few headaches.

So far I cant find any way of getting Flash to work. This isnt a big deal, I'd rarely use it but it would nice to have the option when I want it.

Also I cannot get the Nook app on my HD+. When I try to install it from the PlayStore I get told I have no compatible devices. I can use the Play Store to download most other apps.
I've tried downloading an apk and adding it to my SD card but that gives various error messages, such as being unable to parse something.

I guess the only way to get around these problems will be to root my Nook but I've now read so much about doing that I am completely overwhelmed with all the information and am too scared to try, even if I knew where to start.
Chapter One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:10 PM   #89
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

The Nook app? The Nook reading app should already be on the device.

Isn't there a flash browser add on in the play store? I know there is one in the BN app store, but I don't know if you can access that.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:34 PM   #90
Chapter One
Screen Swiper
Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STwG, Nook HD+, Kindle Voyage.
Nope, no Nook app on mine. It has a Nook Viewer but that doesnt work, when I click on it I just get a white screen, nothing happens.
Chapter One is offline   Reply With Quote