Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-01-2013, 03:12 PM   #31
Laridae
Addict
Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Blackberry PlayBook, Nexus 4, ChromeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmian View Post
For only $30 more you can get a Nexus 7. I don't see anyone really being attracted by this. I guess it's supposed to compete with the last-gen Kindle Fire, but what if Amazon lowers the price on that more? However it's good to see that there seems to be some kind of budget tablet price war beginning.
I really like my Nexus 7, and I wouldn't want to give up anything on it to save a few bucks. It seems to me that the current crop of Android tablets are giving pretty good bang for the buck already (unlike iProducts which cost $$$ extra for the name) Given that the GN7 is already being made by a major supplier (Asus) it's hard to see how HP could make it any cheaper without cutting back on either the build quality or the features.

But, hey, more competition is good for us consumers; the more the merrier. Bring it on!

Laridae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:19 PM   #32
Laridae
Addict
Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Blackberry PlayBook, Nexus 4, ChromeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
I have been in the market for a good 7" tablet for a while now and this one appears to actually be worth taking a look, it has the required SD slot and I don't need GPS at all. Thanks for the heads up!
I find not having an SD slot on the Nexus 7 is not the show-stopper I imagined. With an inexpensive OTG adapter cable and file-reader app I can readily get files from a USB drive or SD card anytime I need them.

Laridae is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2013, 04:19 PM   #33
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laridae View Post
I find not having an SD slot on the Nexus 7 is not the show-stopper I imagined. With an inexpensive OTG adapter cable and file-reader app I can readily get files from a USB drive or SD card anytime I need them.

I got this one today and just finished loading part of my music library on on the microsd card. The included usb adapter works great with my Nexus 7 with the OTG cable.

This is the smallest form factor I could find for storage using OTG compared to a usb dongle. Was using a 64gig usb dongle but did not like it hanging off the cable much. The usb microsd adapter weighs much less.

Trying to keep strain off the Nexus port.

The usb adapter for the microsd card is tiny.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_os_product
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:12 PM   #34
miki2
Connoisseur
miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7", Nexus 7 (2013),
IMHO HP has lost it's way and in desperation is trying anything to try and generate interest. But their sale of the Palm OS indicates, at least to me, that they have no real commitment for either tablets or smartphones; they clearly walked away from both smartphones and handheld computers (who remembers PDAs today). All that rests for them now are printers so why buy a second rate tablet from them.
miki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:02 PM   #35
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by miki2 View Post
IMHO HP has lost it's way and in desperation is trying anything to try and generate interest. But their sale of the Palm OS indicates, at least to me, that they have no real commitment for either tablets or smartphones; they clearly walked away from both smartphones and handheld computers (who remembers PDAs today). All that rests for them now are printers so why buy a second rate tablet from them.
You might be right, but:

"HP's Whitman: 'We're shifting resources from PCs to tablets'

"The market moved very fast to tablets and smartphones, and we've got to now manage that transition," says Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman."
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2013, 08:52 PM   #36
miki2
Connoisseur
miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7", Nexus 7 (2013),
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
You might be right, but:

"The market moved very fast to tablets and smartphones, and we've got to now manage that transition," says Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman."
Uuummm ! they couldn't make it with the iPAQs from Compaq, they couldn't make it with the Pre's from Palm; I really don't believe they can make it now !
They were there 10 years ago, but now .................sadly no !
miki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:07 PM   #37
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness
rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0,Asus TF700T, K1-2-3-Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
You might be right, but:

You can always tell when Meg is lying...her lips are moving. Never take anything she promise or states as being truthful. She will do an about-face to serve her political agenda of the microsecond.
rkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:24 PM   #38
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness
rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0,Asus TF700T, K1-2-3-Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by miki2 View Post
Uuummm ! they couldn't make it with the iPAQs from Compaq, they couldn't make it with the Pre's from Palm; I really don't believe they can make it now !
They were there 10 years ago, but now .................sadly no !
kinda sad how two of the major players from the PDA era, Sony & HP never "got it"as the smartphone or PMP era evolved. I think Blackberry's are gonna end up OK as we move forward.

I still prefer my old Sony Clie running BeCrossword to do crossword puzzles. Also I am still partial to it for reading and how autoscroll is controlled. I doubt we'll see any of today's current devices still chugging away 10+ years from now like my Clie ca. 2003.

Thought I would add that owning two android devices now has me more positive than ever I won't buy any future android based tablets or other type device. No matter how seductive the hardware it comes down to ridiculus issues over content licensing for use on "mobile" devices vs. laptops (not considered a moobile device my most of the DRM agreements). Have to jump through too many hoops just to enjoy my devices. And here it is not as if HP has the market power to push though less restrictive content agreements with that side of the industry.

HP just looks like a rudderless ship at sea in the world of personal computing these days throwing darts at a board hoping something hits and sticks. Or is it the whole industry of "me too" devices is really the source of my general apathy toward any tablets announced today?

Last edited by rkw; 03-01-2013 at 10:43 PM.
rkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:12 PM   #39
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkw View Post
kinda sad how two of the major players from the PDA era, Sony & HP never "got it"as the smartphone or PMP era evolved. I think Blackberry's are gonna end up OK as we move forward.

I still prefer my old Sony Clie running BeCrossword to do crossword puzzles. Also I am still partial to it for reading and how autoscroll is controlled. I doubt we'll see any of today's current devices still chugging away 10+ years from now like my Clie ca. 2003.

Thought I would add that owning two android devices now has me more positive than ever I won't buy any future android based tablets or other type device. No matter how seductive the hardware it comes down to ridiculus issues over content licensing for use on "mobile" devices vs. laptops (not considered a moobile device my most of the DRM agreements). Have to jump through too many hoops just to enjoy my devices. And here it is not as if HP has the market power to push though less restrictive content agreements with that side of the industry.

HP just looks like a rudderless ship at sea in the world of personal computing these days throwing darts at a board hoping something hits and sticks. Or is it the whole industry of "me too" devices is really the source of my general apathy toward any tablets announced today?
This is what I like about my Surface RT, for content purposes it is a PC.

And I must disagree to a lot of the above. I greatly enjoyed my old HP and HTC smartphones. They just didn't pit any marketing power behind it until the king of hype came with the iphone in 2007.

Last edited by HansTWN; 03-02-2013 at 07:16 PM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:46 PM   #40
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
I liked the HP PDAs.
The Palms were good too with notes.

I thought when HP acquired Palm, that good things were going to happen. Unfortunately sometimes matches made in Heaven don't always work out. (Is that a quote from some movie?)
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:58 PM   #41
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
I liked the HP PDAs.
The Palms were good too with notes.

I thought when HP acquired Palm, that good things were going to happen. Unfortunately sometimes matches made in Heaven don't always work out. (Is that a quote from some movie?)
In many ways (we have 2 Touchpads) WebOS is my favorite mobile OS. Much more efficient and easier to use. But they really messed up in so many ways. They didn't pay enough app makers to get on board, they made the device too big and they hardly had any language choices. We have to keep the Touchpads on old versions of the OS to keep a language hack working so that we have Chinese keyboard entry. Such things are just silly, and there are many more examples.

But now, as the Surface Pro shows, hardware has caught up and devices are capable of running full Windows. Which means mobile OSs will mostly be for bargain hunters and those who haven't seen Windows 8 on a tablet and still think Windows is "too complex". Windows 8 has borrowed a lot from WebOS, I would say.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:37 AM   #42
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
But now, as the Surface Pro shows, hardware has caught up and devices are capable of running full Windows. Which means mobile OSs will mostly be for bargain hunters and those who haven't seen Windows 8 on a tablet and still think Windows is "too complex". Windows 8 has borrowed a lot from WebOS, I would say.
I think there will be space for both, tablets with mobile OS and Win tablets. I have the Samsung Ativ 700t, and while I enjoy full Windows on a 11 inch tablet, you can still tell that it is not as fully touch optimized and easy to use as the iPad, thefore, I use both: the iPad for surfing, quick look-ups, email, social media, etc, and the Ativ for things the iPad cannot do, like file downloads/transfers/conversion and image editing.

The Ativ is heavier, slower to boot, requires too many swipes before I can get to where I need to be, while with the iPad, I open the cover. Mobile OS tablet batteries last a full day of constant use and don't get warm, while full Win tablets have half the battery life in the best case scenario, and do get a bit warm. Right now, I still think I'll upgrade my iPad 3 to the next version, unless there won't be any major changes to it, of course.

Last edited by xendula; 03-03-2013 at 11:22 AM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:10 AM   #43
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
The Ativ is heavier, slower to boot, requires too many swipes before I can get to where I need to be, while with the iPad, I open the cover. Mobile OS tablet batteries last a full day of constant use and don't get warm, while Win tablets have half the battery life in the best case scenario, and do get a bit warm. Right now, I still think I'll upgrade my iPad 3 to the next version, unless there won't be any major changes to it, of course.
Slow to boot? Both should be there instantaneously from sleep. You can't compare running a full startup on the PC to sleep mode on a tablet.

And my Surface RT weighs less than the iPad4, with a bigger screen and virtually the same battery life. The Surface Pro is at 6 hours, next generation we will get to 8 or 9.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:29 AM   #44
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
^ I was referring to full windows tablets, not RT, since that's what I quoted from your post; see below quote, emphasis mine. I added "full" to my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Out of sleep mode, full Win 8 tablets are almost instant on, but still take longer, at least mine does.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:11 PM   #45
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
^ I was referring to full windows tablets, not RT, since that's what I quoted from your post; see below quote, emphasis mine. I added "full" to my post.
I was referring to both RT and full Windows 8, because I also believe that device size, weight, and battery life of the full Windows devices will catch up to today's RT in the next generation. And RT should be more than enough for most people, anyway.

Last edited by HansTWN; 03-03-2013 at 08:26 PM.