Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-06-2012, 05:41 PM   #1
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Exclamation 3.4 update coming out tonight...

Information in this thread.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...28&postcount=1

Just so we all caught it...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200529700

Quote:
Kindle Keyboard Software Update
Software Update Version 3.4

Version 3.4 is a brand new, free software update for Kindle Keyboard that includes:

Improved Font: We've improved the reading font to have more contrast and be more crisp.

Parental Controls: With the latest software update for Kindle Keyboard, parents can restrict access to the Experimental Web Browser, the Kindle Store, and Archived Items. While the Kindle Store and Archived Items are locked with Parental Controls, you can continue to buy books from a computer and send them to the Kindle wirelessly for a child to read.

Kindle Format 8: KF8 makes books look even better with support for author specified fonts and more book styling options.

Comic Books: Kindle Keyboard now supports comic books with Kindle Panel View. Supported titles can be purchased from the Kindle Store. Books open in Kindle Panel View by default (a view that allows you to read a comic book panel by panel).

Children's Picture Books: Kindle Keyboard supports children's picture books with Kindle Text Pop-Up. Supported titles can be purchased from the Kindle Store.

Whispersync for Voice: Now you can switch back and forth between reading and listening without losing your place. Whispersync for Voice will synchronize what you read on any Kindle platform device with Audible playback on Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Fire, or on Audible apps for iPhone and Android.

What Version do I have?
From the Home screen, press the Menu key and then select Settings.
On the Settings screen, your software version is shown at the bottom next to the page number.

If you see:

Version: Kindle 3.3, install 3.4
Versions prior to 3.1 (3.0.3, 3.0.2, 3.0.1, or 3.0), install 3.1, then 3.3, and then install 3.4.
Versions 3.1, 3.2., 3.2.1, install 3.3 and then install 3.4.
Version: Kindle 3.4, your Kindle Keyboard software is up to date.

Tip: Your serial number is listed under Device Info in the Settings page. From the Home menu, press the Menu key, and then select Settings.

Transfer software to your Kindle Keyboard: Turn your Kindle Keyboard on and connect it to your computer with the USB cable. Drag and drop the new update file from your computer onto the Kindle drive. Don't drop the file into one of the folders within the Kindle drive.

Monitor file transfer and disconnect: Check your file transfer progress to ensure that the file transfer to your Kindle Keyboard is complete before you disconnect. After the file has transferred successfully, eject the Kindle Keyboard to safely disconnect it from your computer. Disconnect the USB cable from both your Kindle Keyboard and your computer.

Start the software update: From the Home screen, press the Menu key, and then select Settings. Press the Menu key again, and then select Update Your Kindle. (This option will be grayed out if the most recent update has already been installed or if the file transfer was not successful.) Select Ok when prompted if you want to perform an update. Your Kindle Keyboard will restart twice during the update. After the first restart, you'll see the message "Your Kindle is Updating." The device will return to the Home screen once the update is finished.

Last edited by twobob; 09-11-2012 at 01:31 PM. Reason: it's here.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:43 PM   #2
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Whispersync for voice may be the only change... who knows.

I have my tin hat on thank you very much.
Quote:
# Start updatewait in background and exit
# ${_UPDATE_WAIT} &
# msg "Started ${_UPDATE_WAIT}" I
msg "Auto updates are disabled, exiting..." I
exit 0
Advert
Old 09-06-2012, 06:05 PM   #3
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
They might add some other interesting featuresbugs while they are at it.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:15 PM   #4
twobob

"Bagsy" me not going first.

I have had enough disappointment for one day. If they nerfed this last couple of months work I might actually cry.

(but in a tough, "man" way that would be admired by women)

(in my mind)
Old 09-06-2012, 06:35 PM   #5
mp3sii
mp3sii began at the beginning.

Device: K3
Is there a way of disabling the OTA update? (besides the obvious which is not turning on the Wireless)

I have my k3 keyboard, jailbroken and with the custom screensavers hack and I don't want to lose it.

But I need the wifi to lend some books from amazon prime
mp3sii is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2012, 06:36 PM   #6
twobob

Line 42 - 47 /usr/bin/process_update

Quote:
# Start updatewait in background and exit
# ${_UPDATE_WAIT} &
# msg "Started ${_UPDATE_WAIT}" I
msg "Auto updates are disabled, exiting..." I
exit 0
fi
AFIACT that does the job... Manual updating would still work should you choose to.

Nothing else would be affected AFAIK.

there are mangles of the todo service and other ways but that one seems simplest.

EDIT: Whether or not they have other ways of delivering stuff - I have no idea.
No, I have a fair idea: probably if they really wanted to.

Last edited by twobob; 09-06-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:25 PM   #7
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Neither of my Kindle Keyboards updated 'over the air'. I had to download to my computer and drag over via USB. Watch this be the one update that updates by itself.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:50 PM   #8
twobob

All my OTA's went through without a hitch up to now, and didn't mess with my work, Sods Law says this one will hurt me if I don't take precautions. So forgive me my scepticism but OTA's have hurt me in other arenas before.

Here's hoping you get that which you wish.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:01 AM   #9
uwndrd
uwndrd has learned how to read e-booksuwndrd has learned how to read e-booksuwndrd has learned how to read e-booksuwndrd has learned how to read e-booksuwndrd has learned how to read e-booksuwndrd has learned how to read e-booksuwndrd has learned how to read e-booksuwndrd has learned how to read e-books

Device: K3, K4, PRS-650
Wish they'd add azw3 support (heard somewhere that it supports hyphenation of some sort).
uwndrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:32 AM   #10
Fred Vargas
Fred Vargas has a spectacular aura aboutFred Vargas has a spectacular aura aboutFred Vargas has a spectacular aura aboutFred Vargas has a spectacular aura aboutFred Vargas has a spectacular aura aboutFred Vargas has a spectacular aura aboutFred Vargas has a spectacular aura aboutFred Vargas has a spectacular aura aboutFred Vargas has a spectacular aura aboutFred Vargas has a spectacular aura aboutFred Vargas has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 3
Hi guys, i'm totally noob in this stuffs, and with some difficulty i install jailbreak in my kindle to use "kindlepdfviewer"(70% of my use is for pdf files, this script save my kindle reading).

Can i update my kindle to 3.4(when released) without uninstalling anything? If i must unistall i wont know how to

Thanks for answers.
Fred Vargas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:46 AM   #11
twobob

no one knows right now. more info when there is some. I rather thought azw3 support was included in the 3.4 update but I'm probably wrong
Old 09-07-2012, 05:37 PM   #12
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
I hear that they delayed the 3.4 update because at the last moment they found some unintentional bugs in it. Perhaps with the extra time, they can squeeze a few more "undesirable features" into it.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:41 PM   #13
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
...of course...

Right before we get an update my kindle gets bricked......

(Maybe it was a prepper for 3.4?)
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:29 PM   #14
twobob

I personally am hoping they just cram the audible stuff in. I will ignore it but if that is what this is about then bring it on. It adds value for people who want it.

If it turns out to hold more... well. Let's hope not.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:20 PM   #15
twobob

NOW it's here

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200529700

Quote:
Kindle Keyboard Software Update
Software Update Version 3.4

Version 3.4 is a brand new, free software update for Kindle Keyboard that includes:

Improved Font: We've improved the reading font to have more contrast and be more crisp.

Parental Controls: With the latest software update for Kindle Keyboard, parents can restrict access to the Experimental Web Browser, the Kindle Store, and Archived Items. While the Kindle Store and Archived Items are locked with Parental Controls, you can continue to buy books from a computer and send them to the Kindle wirelessly for a child to read.

Kindle Format 8: KF8 makes books look even better with support for author specified fonts and more book styling options.

Comic Books: Kindle Keyboard now supports comic books with Kindle Panel View. Supported titles can be purchased from the Kindle Store. Books open in Kindle Panel View by default (a view that allows you to read a comic book panel by panel).

Children's Picture Books: Kindle Keyboard supports children's picture books with Kindle Text Pop-Up. Supported titles can be purchased from the Kindle Store.

Whispersync for Voice: Now you can switch back and forth between reading and listening without losing your place. Whispersync for Voice will synchronize what you read on any Kindle platform device with Audible playback on Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Fire, or on Audible apps for iPhone and Android.

What Version do I have?
From the Home screen, press the Menu key and then select Settings.
On the Settings screen, your software version is shown at the bottom next to the page number.

If you see:

Version: Kindle 3.3, install 3.4
Versions prior to 3.1 (3.0.3, 3.0.2, 3.0.1, or 3.0), install 3.1, then 3.3, and then install 3.4.
Versions 3.1, 3.2., 3.2.1, install 3.3 and then install 3.4.
Version: Kindle 3.4, your Kindle Keyboard software is up to date.

Last edited by twobob; 09-11-2012 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Told ya ;)

Tags
3.4, kindle 3, ota, updates