Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-02-2013, 05:22 AM   #1591
mg10
Connoisseur
mg10 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW, Kobo Aura One
For ixtab

Hello ixtab
JBPtach is a great job and give us the possibility of take advantage of margins and improve reading experience in our PW.
I've got PW1 with fw 5.3.4. Don't you really contemplate the possibility of review JBPatch for one of the most recent release of firmwares?
Maybe other developpers can help you to adapt code. I'm not developper but can help with easy but tedious tasks like repetitive code...
I think, in 6" devices is very important to manage the margins and our PW deserves it.

Thanks and Best Regards
mg10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:44 AM   #1592
levante
Connoisseur
levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: kindle NT, PW1, PW2, Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@levante: You'll notice that 5.4.0 isn't mentioned *anywhere* in kaznelson's post, which might explain your current plight .
Yes, now it can be mentioned

I refer to 5.4.2 hack working in 5.4.0
levante is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2013, 12:37 PM   #1593
hfpop
Addict
hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: N/A
@levante: Wait a minute: you just mentioned that it works only partially (i.e. only fonts resizing).
hfpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:09 PM   #1594
levante
Connoisseur
levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfpop View Post
@levante: Wait a minute: you just mentioned that it works only partially (i.e. only fonts resizing).
Yes, font resizing only.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:01 PM   #1595
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
It's strange, fonts and margins works fine for me in 5.4.2
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2013, 05:11 PM   #1596
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
... because it was actually *gasp!* made for 5.4.2, and not 5.4.0?

Is there some arcane reason that I'm missing that would explain why differentiating 5.4.0 from 5.4.2 seems so hard for some people?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:21 AM   #1597
levante
Connoisseur

Ummm, where is that people?
I know that the hack I am using in 5.4.0 is made for 5.4.2. I am testing before updating for the only pleasure of testing.

By the way, your font hack is great.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:53 AM   #1598
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
... because it was actually *gasp!* made for 5.4.2, and not 5.4.0?

Is there some arcane reason that I'm missing that would explain why differentiating 5.4.0 from 5.4.2 seems so hard for some people?
Let me try to explain it, girly way :

So.

1. Levante has a PW2 but he still has the original FW 5.4.0 on it. He has NOT upgraded to 5.4.2.

2. He tested the hack Kaznelson made for 5.4.2. although he has 5.4.0.

3. He is reporting that the fonts size part of the hack works, not the margins one. On 5.4.0.
Which is not entirely surprising as this hack was not made for 5.4.0.

4. On 5.4.2 kaznelson hack works in its complete form, margins and fonts size, perfectly well.

. If that was clear to you, remember it all has to do with daisies

Last edited by aceflor; 12-03-2013 at 05:56 AM.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:20 AM   #1599
levante
Connoisseur

@aceflor, your are crystal clear. And nice
Old 12-03-2013, 06:49 AM   #1600
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
Now I understand all of you too...

ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:44 AM   #1601
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Flower power! ;D
Old 12-03-2013, 10:38 AM   #1602
levante
Connoisseur

Well, after updating to 5.4.2 and all the stuff I install fonthack and I get... a nice "your kindle needs repair"

But connecting to pc, the usb drive works for a few seconds and thanks to ixtab's trick https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=223067 the kindle is Ok again

I am jailbreaking again
Old 12-03-2013, 12:12 PM   #1603
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by levante View Post
Well, after updating to 5.4.2 and all the stuff I install fonthack and I get... a nice "your kindle needs repair"

But connecting to pc, the usb drive works for a few seconds and thanks to ixtab's trick https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=223067 the kindle is Ok again

I am jailbreaking again
Congrats! You survived your Near Brick Experience.

I wonder: if you pre copy several copies of amazon's firmware update bin in a subfolder and if/when your kindle semi bricks you move it to /mnt/us during the USBMS window (idea being the window may be too short to copy over a large file), will it successfully update and hopefully restore whatever you were messing with?

I don't know why amazon does not have something like iOS DFU mode. Apple is like the biggest control freak in the world and even they provide a way to restore firmware. Ok, maybe they're not doing it for "testers" but personally I've never known anyone who needs to do DFU restore who was not "testing".

Last edited by Barty; 12-03-2013 at 12:17 PM.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:13 PM   #1604
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Barty: If they are official recovery images, probably, on the next boot. OTA updates (custom or official), nope.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:26 PM   #1605
levante
Connoisseur

Screensavers, new fonts, fontsize and marging hacks Ok.
Only this thing related with margin hack:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2013_12_03T17_37_38+0100.png
Views:	477
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	116136  

Tags
jbpatch, kindle touch hacks