Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-28-2011, 01:19 PM   #16
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange! View Post
Newbie question here. What is "airplane mode". I think I remember seeing something about that when I read the user guide, but now I can't find it. Is it different than just turning wi-fi off?

Thanks.
Airplane mode = ON is the same as WiFi = Off. It's confusing. Life is pain. Woe is me. Er, nevermind. Yeah, it's the same as turning WiFi off.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:36 PM   #17
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
I rebooted the Nook Touch, as recommended.

The Nook was at 43%, having gone from 100% to 68% to 43% in 2 successive nights of non-use (yikes!) and no wifi.

After rebooting, I read for awhile in the evening and when I put it away to sleep it was still at 43%, a good sign. Woke it this morning after a whole night of sleep (me and it) - still at 43%!! Yes!

So, it appears that rebooting it does solve this problem. One wonders if the battery really is draining during these episodes, or if the Nook just THINKS it is. Also, I sure hope I don't have to do this after every time I recahrge it. We shall see...
This actually might be a battery calibration issue rather than a battery drain problem. A lot of Android builds take a time or too of running down the battery / reboots / etc before the battery calibration is correct.

Without running the battery all of the way down, it's hard to tell if the percent is accurate yet.

I haven't seen any battery problems so far...I haven't charged the NT at all since getting it on Father's Day (minus plugging it in a couple of times to load books on it). But I run wi-fi off.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2011, 08:00 AM   #18
mettleh3d
mettleh3d can extract oil from cheesemettleh3d can extract oil from cheesemettleh3d can extract oil from cheesemettleh3d can extract oil from cheesemettleh3d can extract oil from cheesemettleh3d can extract oil from cheesemettleh3d can extract oil from cheesemettleh3d can extract oil from cheese

Device: nook str
Someone on the official BN boards posted this finding and I more or less confirm this:

1. Sleep the nook. The press a button to begin the wake process.
2. Touch anywhere on the screen that isn't the "drag to unlock" bar
3. The nook will continue to animate the drag arrows until the battery gives out or until the user notices.
4. If user did not press anything during the "drag to unlock" animation, the screensaver refreshes to the next saver.
5. Infinite animation also occurs after: a reboot and wall charging the nook (during sleep).

Anyone else confirm these findings? This is a major major bug that needs attention moreso than other software quibbles.
mettleh3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:47 AM   #19
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by mettleh3d View Post
Someone on the official BN boards posted this finding and I more or less confirm this:

1. Sleep the nook. The press a button to begin the wake process.
2. Touch anywhere on the screen that isn't the "drag to unlock" bar
3. The nook will continue to animate the drag arrows until the battery gives out or until the user notices.
4. If user did not press anything during the "drag to unlock" animation, the screensaver refreshes to the next saver.
5. Infinite animation also occurs after: a reboot and wall charging the nook (during sleep).

Anyone else confirm these findings? This is a major major bug that needs attention moreso than other software quibbles.
I have my screen timeout set to 5 minutes. If I do as described here, the nook touch shows the unlock animation for 5 minutes, and then goes to sleep.

This is consistent with my Android phone, where my screen timeout is 30 seconds. If I wake my phone up, and press a key (but do not unlock it), the screen remains on for 30 seconds, and then goes back to sleep.

Could the OP have had the timeout in his/her touch set to 1 hour maybe?
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:24 PM   #20
mettleh3d
mettleh3d can extract oil from cheesemettleh3d can extract oil from cheesemettleh3d can extract oil from cheesemettleh3d can extract oil from cheesemettleh3d can extract oil from cheesemettleh3d can extract oil from cheesemettleh3d can extract oil from cheesemettleh3d can extract oil from cheese

Device: nook str
I see. I didn't realize it was the timeout feature, I'll give that a try now with 2 mins.

Yes, with 2 mins timeout, the animation stops. Thanks for that tip. I assume the same shall be true with reboots and charge wakeups.
mettleh3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2011, 09:54 PM   #21
truewt
truewt began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Touch
Hi guys, anyone encountering the problem of the nook turning on by itself which in turn leads to a battery drain?? Even with wifi mode off? I have tried doing hard resets, reboots etc but those does not seem to work..
truewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:06 PM   #22
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
This actually might be a battery calibration issue rather than a battery drain problem. A lot of Android builds take a time or too of running down the battery / reboots / etc before the battery calibration is correct.
That's interesting. So I guess I won't panic if it does it again. I have just recharged it and am going to see what happens overnight.

I do wonder if it makes a difference if you let it timeout to go to sleep, or if you put it to sleep manually by pressing the power switch on the top. Probably not, but when things are misbehaving, you start to look at even unlikely culprits.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:37 AM   #23
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, it's doing it again. I charged it to 100% and then went to bed. This morning it's at 86%. Grrrrr! So it does it after every recharge. In thinking about it some, it seems like it cannot be a battery calibration issue, because rebooting it stops it from happening.

So, it seems that just recharging it makes it go nuts and either drain the battery quickly or think the battery is draining quickly. I certainly don't want to have to reboot it after every recharge. Looks like I'll have to return it...
Old 07-01-2011, 09:44 AM   #24
RAH
Guru

Well, I brought my Nook to B&N store and talked to the clerk at the Nook counter. My Nook was at 85% when I left the house and when I turned it on in the store it was at 83% and actually went down to 82% while we were looking at it and discussing the problem (!).

He proceded to call a technical support person. He described the problem and support said that she suspected the charger (which struck me and the guy as kind of strange). So, she had him connect my charger. It proceeded to charge the Nook and we saw the level go up, to 89% in a few minutes, which seemed pretty fast. Again, there seemed to be no reason why we were doing this, but the supprt person continued to say she suspected the charger.

So, the clerk gave me a spare charger that they had and told me to wait till the Nook got low and use this different charger just to see if it would make a difference. We were both pretty skeptical. At this point, my Nook was at 89% and he disconnected it from my old charger (which he kept) and I took it home.

But here is the WEIRD thing. The Nook is now behaving correctly. It lost no power from the time I got it home while it slept for 8 hours during the day, only 1 or 2% while I read for several hours, and then no power lost overnight.

So the only thing that was done, by chance, to correct it was hooking it up to the charger and charging it from 82% to 89% while I was at the store and the clerk was discussing the problem with tech support. Why would this correct things?? I am now thinking that the idea proposed by GreenMonkey of it being a battery calibration problem may be correct after all.

Maybe I just need to charge it to 100%, let it drain quickly to about 80% and then top it off every time? Seems weird, but when you think about it, this is exactly what happens when you get a new Nook home from the store - they are usually charged fairly full, and then you top them off.

Another possible idea - the clerk disconnected the charger from the Nook while the Nook was awake. Normally, after my Nook reaches 100%, when I disconnect it it is asleep (after charging for say 2 hours). I'm wondering if maybe this makes a difference - should you wake your Nook up before disconnecting the charger after it is fully charged?

Anyone have any ideas about this weird behavior?
Old 07-06-2011, 01:54 AM   #25
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
If you suspect some sort of battery calibration issue, you could try to make sure the device has a good calibration by charging to 100%, and then running the battery down to almost zero, and charging it back up again...?

Dunno...just a thought. Some devices need a good full cycle before they get the battery life correct...I know a full charge up / drain down cycle was recommended on Windows Mobile devices...

Still, it seems strange. I charged my NT up to 100% and then used it for like a month before it finally ran low during a camping trip this weekend...never had any weird battery drain.

I didn't see, did you see if this also happens with wi-fi off (airplane mode on) ?

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 07-06-2011 at 02:01 AM.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:40 PM   #26
RAH
Guru

I have had wifi off during this whole thing, so it isn't the problem.

Meanwhile, my device continues to drain properly now, ever since it started behaving itself after topping it off as I described. I'll let it go way down before recharging this time, although i let it go pretty low last time (about 20%). We shall see, but it will take awhile to drain now, of course...
Old 07-14-2011, 06:44 PM   #27
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I'm having a battery problem with my Nook Touch. I did a full charge ( the second time I charged it) and after about 3 hours of use it is at 18%.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:24 AM   #28
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I'm having a battery problem with my Nook Touch. I did a full charge ( the second time I charged it) and after about 3 hours of use it is at 18%.
There may be something "stuck" that is preventing the device from entering sleep mode. Reboot the device and see if it happens again.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:16 PM   #29
RAH
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
If you read the postings I submitted above, you may be having the same problem. You can try some of the things I have - e.g. topping it off after it runs down a little, which I discovered by accident while at B&N store looking for help - see above.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:17 AM   #30
RAH
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
Meanwhile, my device continues to drain properly now, ever since it started behaving itself after topping it off as I described. I'll let it go way down before recharging this time, although i let it go pretty low last time (about 20%). We shall see, but it will take awhile to drain now, of course...
I am quoting myself above so that you'll see where I was the last time I made a posting to this thread.

The latest is that my Touch finally drained itself down to 20% in a well-behaved manner as I used it over a period of weeks. I then charged it yesterday to 100% and disconnected it (I woke it up before disconnecting it, to see if that made a difference). Well, after sleeping all night, it is now down to 77%. DAMN!

So, I am "topping" it off right now, to duplicate what we did in the B&N store about 3 weeks ago (see posting above). I'll let you know if that once again fixes the problem...