Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-18-2007, 08:20 PM   #1
dreamingreader
dreamingreader began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader--in repair
Problems with Sony Repair/ Rant

(Mods: if this is in the incorrect forum, I apologize and please delete or move)

I'm just wondering if anyone else has tried having their Reader repaired and had problems with warranty, etc.

My problem is: I bought my reader in mid-June and have loved it. But about two weeks ago some lines started appearing about half-way down the screen. I hadn't done anything unusual with it, and as far as I could tell, it was just one of those little bugs that they mentioned on the website. So I followed the instructions and reset the reader. The lines got worse and covered about a quarter of the screen. I panicked a little and tried to see if charging it would help. Nope, lines just spread more. It seemed as every little movement or change was making the reader worse.

So I called support: they gave me the same advice: restart, charge. Again, it just got worse. So in the end they just told me to send in the reader.

Today I logged into the service page for my work order and received this message:

Instructions

The estimate of $ 249.99 for the Sony product you have inquired about is waiting approval for the repair.

To approve the estimate, please call: 866-942-9667

Whaaaaat?! I've tried calling, emailing but the offices are closed for the weekend. Has anyone else experienced this? I really don't want to pay for this since it's still under warranty and, well frankly, the device itself cost almost that much. Any advice or explanation?
dreamingreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 09:27 PM   #2
LaughingVulcan
Technophile
LaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-650 Sony, Nook Simpletouch, more legacy gear than I can remember
When I got my replacement under the ADH program, they first tried to advise my wife (who took the call,) that the repair would probably cost more than the unit. She corrected the person that we had an ADH warranty. The person checked our record and that was that.

I'd wait for Monday, call them and politely let them know it's under warranty, and see what they say. I'd bet money that they correct the error and send you a new unit. Or you could try calling Sony support's 24/7 line and try to resolve it that way. (I don't have the number on me - but I was told that when I called on a Sunday morning that that line operates 24/7. Sorry I don't have it!) But I'd probably wait since the number listed is probably the most direct line.
LaughingVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2007, 09:35 PM   #3
db100
db100 is on a distinguished road

That's typical SONY, just call them. They will probably repeat the same statement, but once you start to fight with them, your line will be handed to the high level management and quickly resolved.
db100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 10:35 AM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Heh, or you could just ask for a supervisor when they first answer, that might save you some blood pressure points.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:27 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Surely if it was bought in June it's still under warranty. It is a 1 year warranty on the hardware, isn't it?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2007, 11:39 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
But only 90 days on labor.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 05:07 PM   #7
dreamingreader

So far, I've gotten nowhere with the tech people. They tell me that my warranty can't cover it because it's "physical damage." How something got so physically damaged from six weeks of me just reading and uploading books, I don't even know. I've asked for a supervisor, however, and they tell me I'm going to be contacted within the next two days. So I wait. And draft my letter to Sony.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:10 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'd go to the SonyStyle shop and show them that it's not physical damage and then get them to sign off on it as such and if need be, have one of them speak to the techs.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:12 PM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'd go to the SonyStyle shop and show them that it's not physical damage and then get them to sign off on it as such and if need be, have one of them speak to the techs.
That's gonna be kinda hard - he already sent it in.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 05:15 PM   #10
dreamingreader

Quote:
That would have been my first choice but unfortunately, there isn't a SonyStyle shop in Reno or surrounding areas. And I have already sent it in to them. Unfortunately for them, I'm pretty tenacious about this type of stuff so I'll be calling and bothering them a lot.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:36 PM   #11
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I had a problem once before with a Sony LCD monitor that they also said was physical damage. It took two levels of supervisors and as many weeks but they agreed to repair it under warranty at no charge to me. Now, many years later, it is still working perfectly.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 06:39 PM   #12
dreamingreader

Hey, just wanted to give everyone an update: I will be receiving my repair under warranty! See, if this had been my fault I woudn't have argued it this far (and it was very frustrating at times--being on hold, having to deal with sometimes snippy people) but I hate being blamed for things that I didn't do. So, yay Sony, yay me, and yay all you people who helped me in here. Your comments have really meant a lot and have given me hope about this entire thing.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:42 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingreader View Post
Hey, just wanted to give everyone an update: I will be receiving my repair under warranty! See, if this had been my fault I woudn't have argued it this far (and it was very frustrating at times--being on hold, having to deal with sometimes snippy people) but I hate being blamed for things that I didn't do. So, yay Sony, yay me, and yay all you people who helped me in here. Your comments have really meant a lot and have given me hope about this entire thing.
Overall from what I have read and experienced, Sony has been doing really well supporting the Reader. Yes you get the odd issue here and there. No company is perfect. But Sony seems to be doing quite well in terms of support for both the Reader and the Connect Store.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:30 PM   #14
dmikov
Addict
dmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-books

Device: REB1200; REB2150; Sony 500/350; EZReader; IREX DR800SG; Nook/Color
Quote:
Overall from what I have read and experienced, Sony has been doing really well supporting the Reader. Yes you get the odd issue here and there. No company is perfect. But Sony seems to be doing quite well in terms of support for both the Reader and the Connect Store.
I have to disagree. I had exactly the same problem. You can find it on the forum too. I sent the reader, they sent me the bill. According to them the reader has been damaged and is not covered by warranty. They even had the pictures with my reader scratched. Needless to say I sent them reader in perfect order and they damaged it in their lab, but try to prove it.
So when it comes to Sony, either have it documented with all the pictures before sending it (doubtfull it will help with customer support anyway), buy it with replace warranty from the store. Or better not buy Sony products period(my personall choice).
The Sony representative frequent to this forum helped me to get my reader back for $149 and I thank him very much for his help. But it is too little too late as far as company service goes, not to mention I had to fight even for this with techs in Sony who preteneded they never heard of that.
dmikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 01:27 PM   #15
db100
db100 is on a distinguished road

In fact SONY takes all photos of your device once they received. I have very similar experience when I sent my TX-850 laptop to San Diego Center for service. They blamed me for exact the same reason. But I brought it to the upper level and their supervisor reviewed the photos and honored the warrenty.

I would say SONY not only has photos of your device, but also has videos on how their technicians repairing your device (I have one of this video before). The problem is, those on the other end of your phone can only make judgement based on the notes their engineers wrote. Engineering notes "physical damage" doesn't mean the physicial damage caused by you. But Customer Center is far away from the Service center and only higher level officials can review such photos/video and probably willing to understant what is the real meaning of "physical damage".

It is obviously the SONY's management problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmikov View Post
I have to disagree. I had exactly the same problem. You can find it on the forum too. I sent the reader, they sent me the bill. According to them the reader has been damaged and is not covered by warranty. They even had the pictures with my reader scratched. Needless to say I sent them reader in perfect order and they damaged it in their lab, but try to prove it.
So when it comes to Sony, either have it documented with all the pictures before sending it (doubtfull it will help with customer support anyway), buy it with replace warranty from the store. Or better not buy Sony products period(my personall choice).
The Sony representative frequent to this forum helped me to get my reader back for $149 and I thank him very much for his help. But it is too little too late as far as company service goes, not to mention I had to fight even for this with techs in Sony who preteneded they never heard of that.
db100 is offline   Reply With Quote