Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 06-20-2010, 01:45 AM   #1
doremifaso
Connoisseur
doremifaso began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, PW2
Unhappy fbreader: Words get cut off at right edge

I just got my pocketbook 360. I love everything about it; there are so many features to explore. BUT I can't get one important thing to work.

I have downgraded my firmware to 14.2 and installed the fbreader180 v0.92. When I read some of my Chinese epub files, the words at the right edge are cut off. I have tried to change the margin, but it still doesn't solve the problem. I noticed that it's not only one word that got cut off; it seems like a part of the sentence is missing. (Please see attached screenshot)

I have tried to use Adobe as well, but I am still trying out the hacked version with Chinese fonts, but so far I can't figure it out yet. All the Chinese words are still question marks.

Anyone has any suggestion??
Attached Images
File Type: bmp scr0001.bmp (234.5 KB, 446 views)
doremifaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 05:10 AM   #2
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by doremifaso View Post
I just got my pocketbook 360. I love everything about it; there are so many features to explore. BUT I can't get one important thing to work.

I have downgraded my firmware to 14.2 and installed the fbreader180 v0.92. When I read some of my Chinese epub files, the words at the right edge are cut off. I have tried to change the margin, but it still doesn't solve the problem. I noticed that it's not only one word that got cut off; it seems like a part of the sentence is missing. (Please see attached screenshot)

I have tried to use Adobe as well, but I am still trying out the hacked version with Chinese fonts, but so far I can't figure it out yet. All the Chinese words are still question marks.

Anyone has any suggestion??
Sorry, my Chinese is a bit rusted.
But we'll try to solve this problem. Normally fbreader does an autohyphenation. Could that be your problem?
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 06:14 AM   #3
Zel
Zealot
Zel began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 360° + Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Sorry, my Chinese is a bit rusted.
But we'll try to solve this problem. Normally fbreader does an autohyphenation. Could that be your problem?
I've got the same problem with the normal fb-reader. The only option is to turn the pocketbook in widesreen-mode and decrease the font-size. Then I'm able to see the whole line.
Maybe it's a formatting problem because when I used - just 4 fun - the dictionary, my PB underlined no single signs but just the whole line..

@Mtravellerh please solve this problem! Danke!

Last edited by Zel; 06-20-2010 at 06:29 AM.
Zel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 06:31 AM   #4
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zel View Post
I've got the same problem with the normal fb-reader. The only option is to turn the pocketbook in widesreen-mode and decrease the font-size. Then I'm able to see the whole line.
Maybe it's a formatting problem because when I used - just 4 fun - the dictionary, my PB underlined no single signs but just the whole line..

@Mtravellerh please solve this problem! Danke!
I'd like to see the code line where this problem happened, Zel. PM Please
Old 06-20-2010, 11:10 AM   #5
doremifaso
Connoisseur

I have disabled auto-hyphenation already, but it doesn't work.

When I use landscape mode, and use smaller font size, I can see more words, but some of the sentences are still cut off.

I tried to use the dictionary mode, and just as Zel said, the dictionary highlight the entire line rather than individual word. Please see attached screenshot.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp scr0004.bmp (234.5 KB, 387 views)
Old 06-20-2010, 01:03 PM   #6
mtravellerh
book creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by doremifaso View Post
I have disabled auto-hyphenation already, but it doesn't work.

When I use landscape mode, and use smaller font size, I can see more words, but some of the sentences are still cut off.

I tried to use the dictionary mode, and just as Zel said, the dictionary highlight the entire line rather than individual word. Please see attached screenshot.
In this case, the software clearly interprets the whole thing as one word, hence the displaying problem.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:50 PM   #7
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
This may be a complete red herring, but I'll pass it on anyway.

Have you looked at the XHTML code inside the EPUB to see if you can spot anything unusual? I have occasionally seen forum posts from other members who have had problems with words "running off the sides". When they checked the XHTML they found that some of the text was wrapped in <pre> tags rather than <p> tags.

Of course, as an English-only speaker, I have no experience with the challenges associated with using Chinese fonts.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 03:10 PM   #8
mtravellerh
book creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
This may be a complete red herring, but I'll pass it on anyway.

Have you looked at the XHTML code inside the EPUB to see if you can spot anything unusual? I have occasionally seen forum posts from other members who have had problems with words "running off the sides". When they checked the XHTML they found that some of the text was wrapped in <pre> tags rather than <p> tags.

Of course, as an English-only speaker, I have no experience with the challenges associated with using Chinese fonts.
That's why I wanted to see Zel's source code.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:40 PM   #9
Zel
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
That's why I wanted to see Zel's source code.
when you tell me where to find the source code, it's no problem ;-)

sorry, I've no idea of source codes.. I'm just a reader not a programmer...
Old 06-20-2010, 04:02 PM   #10
doremifaso
Connoisseur

I am pretty sure my epub file is fine, because I have no problem reading it with my PRS-505; no words running off the side.

mtravellerh: I will PM my epub file to you.

Thanks!
Old 06-20-2010, 04:28 PM   #11
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@zel,
Unless you have a rudimentary understanding of HTML there is probably no point in looking at your epub's "innards". However, have you tried opening your epub with both fbreader and AdobeViewer? Do you get the same problem in both?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 05:07 PM   #12
Zel
Zealot

@jackie_w

thx for the answer~*
The AdobeViewer can't show it correctly because it is written in chinese: so I just see question marks instead of chinese signs.

It's not such a big problem for me coz the most literature I read is in English or German, but Pocketbook said that the PBs can even display books in non-western languages without any problem if you just save the specific font in your PB.
That's why I'm a little bit disappointed, because I can't read a novel if in every line some signs are missing..
Old 06-20-2010, 05:27 PM   #13
doremifaso
Connoisseur

I have figured out how to read Chinese with the hacked AdobeViewer, but it was pretty troublesome, because I can't make it work unless I remove all the styles embedded in the file.

Now, back to the question, with AdobeViewer, the words are not running off the edge anymore, so there should be a problem with fbreader.

I really need this to work, because the majority of books I read are in Chinese.

Hopefully this can resolve soon. Thanks!
Old 06-22-2010, 03:02 PM   #14
Ulli
(-:
Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.

Device: PocketBook 360°,302
I think the problem with chines fonts is, that the letters got bigger boxes than the western ones. In normal it doenst matter to the font, if the size of the box is bigger than another but on the very small screnn of an e-Reader it seems to be important.
If i am right, you need some fonts, that contains the blocksize of the letters.

Perhaps the GfK could patch this out, that they read the size of the block out of the font-file.

What kind of font are you using ?
Ulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:36 AM   #15
mtravellerh
book creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulli View Post
I think the problem with chines fonts is, that the letters got bigger boxes than the western ones. In normal it doenst matter to the font, if the size of the box is bigger than another but on the very small screnn of an e-Reader it seems to be important.
If i am right, you need some fonts, that contains the blocksize of the letters.

Perhaps the GfK could patch this out, that they read the size of the block out of the font-file.

What kind of font are you using ?
PocketBook can't take any responsibility regarding the chinese fonts and software not supplied by PocketBook, like FBReader180 or the hacked Adobe Viewer. Chinese is working fine with the software supplied by PocketBook, though.