Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-07-2009, 01:20 AM   #1
Bravo_Bkk
Bravo_Bkk began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Unhappy PRS-505 can't show contents in SD Card

Hi everyone

I'm a new member in this forum which I found out in Google search for forum discussing the ebook reader.

I'm also a new user of PRS-505 which I got yesterday. I have a problem and hope someone can help me.

I installed Sony's ebook library and connected to 505. I could see both "Reader" and "SD Card on Reader" (It is 4G micro SD in SD card adapter). I moved some MP3 songs and JPG photo to the SD card. They look OK in SD card i.e. songs are in Sony Reader/Audio directory, photos are in Sony Reader/images directory.

When I disconnected 505 from notebook, the 505 shows "No Song" and "No picture". I reseted the 505, but it's still the same. To my understanding, 505should show the songs and pictures with "SD Card" symbol in Menu. Seem 505 can't see any contents in "SD Card"

What's wrong with my 505 or what I did?

Many Thanks
Bravo_Bkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 02:10 AM   #2
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
I don't use the Audio/Slideshow features but...

Make sure that you have the latest firmware and try to verify that your microSD card is an SDHC card (and not some other >2GB format that the Sony doesn't support).
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 03:33 AM   #3
Bravo_Bkk

- This PRS-505 has the latest firmware V 1.1.00.18040. The user manual confirm that it support SDHC SD card.
- This microSD is SDHC. I used to use it in my Window Mobile phone without problem. In fact, I tried another SDHC SD card 8GB. The results are the same.
- I also copied the ebook to SD card via Sony's ebook library. Same as audio or photo, 505 doesn't show the ebook in SD card.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:28 AM   #4
Jill75
Zealot
Jill75 doesn't litterJill75 doesn't litter

Device: none
Did you disconnect it properly from your computer? Sometimes memory cards such as flash drives and memory cards in digital cameras need to be removed by clicking the safely remove hardware which in some cases get ruined when not done properly.
Jill75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 04:48 AM   #5
Bravo_Bkk

Yes, I disconnected properly by clicking the eject icon of Reader in ebook library. Then both Reader and SD Card were disconnected.

I also checked the SD card by using card reader. The contents inside are OK.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:32 AM   #6
Bravo_Bkk

I finally can get it work. I switched to use the "years ago" 256M Panasonic SD card (Not SDHC) in my digital camera. After SD card insert, 505 shows the photo inside the SD card immediately.

It is the SD card compatibility problem. The problemed SD card is Kingston SDHC's both SD and microSD cards (I don't know why the Sony ebook library can view the SD card in 505 while 505 itself can't view the SD card). However, I'm not sure if it is about the "SDHC not supported" or brand name of Kingston problems. Anyway I believe 505 support SDHC SD Card.

Do anyone have any idea of this compatibility SD card problem?
Old 05-07-2009, 11:59 AM   #7
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
The 505 supports SDHC cards (up to what size I do not know).

Others have reported that certain SD cards are not recognized in the 505. This may have to do with the brand names of those SD cards and I don't recall which brands were having problems.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote