Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: How do you feel about DRM?
DRM doesn't bother me. As long as I can read a book on a computer I don't care. 18 6.41%
DRM is evil and should be done away with entirely. 200 71.17%
Quit whining about DRM, it's a dead horse. 13 4.63%
If DRM were a dead horse, DRM would be dead. 9 3.20%
DRM is a useful tool that prevents piracy. 4 1.42%
Some other option not thought of for this poll 37 13.17%
Voters: 281. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-04-2012, 11:27 AM   #196
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjalawyer View Post
In the U.S., breaking digital locks on DRM is clearly against the DMCA. Here's subsection 1201(a) of the Act:

[snip]

Subsection 1201(2) of the Act further states:

[snip]
You're neglecting 1201(a)(1)(B): "The prohibition contained in subparagraph (A) shall not apply to persons who are users of a copyrighted work which is in a particular class of works, if such persons are, or are likely to be in the succeeding 3-year period, adversely affected by virtue of such prohibition in their ability to make noninfringing uses of that particular class of works under this title, as determined under subparagraph (C)."

and also
1201(c)(1): Nothing in this section shall affect rights, remedies, limitations, or defenses to copyright infringement, including fair use, under this title.

Until there's a case that actually addresses the issue directly, I think the law is unclear. In the US, anyway.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:41 PM   #197
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
You're neglecting 1201(a)(1)(B): "The prohibition contained in subparagraph (A) shall not apply to persons who are users of a copyrighted work which is in a particular class of works, if such persons are, or are likely to be in the succeeding 3-year period, adversely affected by virtue of such prohibition in their ability to make noninfringing uses of that particular class of works under this title, as determined under subparagraph (C)."

and also
1201(c)(1): Nothing in this section shall affect rights, remedies, limitations, or defenses to copyright infringement, including fair use, under this title.

Until there's a case that actually addresses the issue directly, I think the law is unclear. In the US, anyway.
You're ignoring the underlined words above. The applicability of the exemption is determined through a periodic rulemaking by the Librarian of Congress and is not unclear; you may recall that the Librarian of Congress previously granted exemptions for "jailbreaking" a phone.

1201(c)(1) is somewhat tricky as it's not immediately clear whether or not it allows circumvention in cases that involve fair use. However, in the case of Universal City Studios v. Reimerdes (111 F. Supp. 2d 294, 322 (S.D.N.Y. 2000)) the court found that fair use does not apply in cases of circumvention of DRM (that case involved decrypting DVDs). The RealNetworks cases is also a good one, and should be easy to find if you have an interest in the subject.

The DMCA isn't new, there have been a number of cases on it, and on the anti-circumvention section specifically. What issues do you see that still need to be ruled on? Don't take the last sentence as a rhetorical question, I genuinely would like your thoughts on that.

Just as an interesting aside, Canada will likely implement new copyright legislation shortly that includes a a highly controversial section DRM-breaking.

Last edited by Ninjalawyer; 03-04-2012 at 12:49 PM.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:45 PM   #198
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjalawyer View Post
You're ignoring the underlined words above. The applicability of the exemption is determined through a periodic rulemaking by the Librarian of Congress and is not unclear; you may recall that the Librarian of Congress previously granted exemptions for "jailbreaking" a phone.
Yes, and there's currently an exception for certain classes of ebooks. (Those that disable any read-aloud function, prevent use of screen readers, and aren't available in forms that do permit those functions.)

I bow to your greater knowledge on the fair use exemption.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:29 PM   #199
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
(a) VIOLATIONS REGARDING CIRCUMVENTION OF TECHNOLOGICAL MEASURES. (1)(A) No person shall circumvent a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work protected under this title...
Ah, but what if it ineffectively controls access to a work?
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:25 PM   #200
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
Ah, but what if it ineffectively controls access to a work?
Last I checked DRM is quite effective. Try removing DRM from an ebook that you don't have the right to access. As in crack the DRM and not just simply remove the DRM of a book you can already view. And even stripping your own DRM might be trivial to you, but might not be to somebody not even aware that there is tools for it to do that for you.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:18 PM   #201
MzTinaFL
MzTinaFL began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX
I don't mind DRM providing I can move content from one reader to another. But of course that doesn't happen. I am on my 3rd ereader (palm TX, Apple 3G, Samsung Galaxy 4.0) and I really hate that some of my earliest books which were purchased for mobipocket and are DRM aren't usable. I even paid full price for some books...so it really bothers me. I love ereading and I buy a LOT of books...but other than occasionally buying through Amazon, I pretty much stick to non-drm.
MzTinaFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:18 AM   #202
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MzTinaFL View Post
I really hate that some of my earliest books which were purchased for mobipocket and are DRM aren't usable.
You can trivially remove the DRM, provided that you know the Mobipocket PID for which the book is encoded. Do a Google search for "MobiDeDRM".

It's a very good idea to remove DRM from books as soon as you buy them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:23 AM   #203
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You can trivially remove the DRM, provided that you know the Mobipocket PID for which the book is encoded. Do a Google search for "MobiDeDRM".
Umm... a better search term is: Apprentice Alf's blog
Old 03-11-2012, 06:26 AM   #204
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK. Wasn't sure if Alf knew about old-fashioned Mobi books.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:32 AM   #205
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
OK. Wasn't sure if Alf knew about old-fashioned Mobi books.
[FX: Churchill dog]Oh, yes![/FX]
Old 07-02-2012, 11:51 AM   #206
mclien
42, the answer
mclien for a long time would go to bed early.mclien for a long time would go to bed early.mclien for a long time would go to bed early.mclien for a long time would go to bed early.mclien for a long time would go to bed early.mclien for a long time would go to bed early.mclien for a long time would go to bed early.mclien for a long time would go to bed early.mclien for a long time would go to bed early.mclien for a long time would go to bed early.mclien for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Pocketbook 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
I wish that DRM removal could be obvious for Linux users. I've found some work arounds under wine, but I find that blog that we're all supposed to google confusing, which leads to dead links, and simply saying "Linux users will find it easy to change the code to plug in"... well, no.
I think there is some more detailed part in the README. (the plugin way for calibre doesn't work, though).
But basicly I'm with you. (debian user, too). What is more annoyence to come is, that in near future we won't be able to buy books without windows, because Adope DRM will not work using wine in the future (some DOT.net stuff or some shit, I forgot).
I also hate the way publishers try to force printet book ways to digital media. Just ridicules!
Maybe publishers should become obsolete:
An author publishes everything on her/his side for "free" download next to a donate button. I download a book and pay a small amount for that (3$ would be more than double a author gets normally for a book). Then I read it. In case I like it I WILL donate the next amount. I read it a few month/ years later and enjoy it again? Well, I'll most likely will pay the next amount.
I will make the book a birthday gift? I'll put it on a D Card/ send it via mail... whatever and donate again.
(OK call me a dreamer. But maybe there are enought people of my kind out there to make a living for some authors that way)
mclien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:26 PM   #207
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclien View Post
What is more annoyence to come is, that in near future we won't be able to buy books without windows, because Adope DRM will not work using wine in the future (some DOT.net stuff or some shit, I forgot).
Are Adobe withdrawing the Mac version of ADE? I hadn't heard that Windows was going to be a requirement.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:17 PM   #208
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Are Adobe withdrawing the Mac version of ADE? I hadn't heard that Windows was going to be a requirement.
The apparent issue is that future Windows versions of ADE might require Microsoft APIs that aren't part of WINE, and so couldn't be run on a Linux machine.

Nothing to do with the Mac version as all.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:16 PM   #209
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
The apparent issue is that future Windows versions of ADE might require Microsoft APIs that aren't part of WINE, and so couldn't be run on a Linux machine.

I was referring to the previous poster's claim that "soon we won't be able to buy books without Windows". I don't believe that statement is true; you'll be able to buy them using a Mac.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:11 PM   #210
no.guru
Crazy like a
no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350
Quote:

Maybe VirtualBox would work.
no.guru is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drm