Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 03-17-2012, 04:31 PM   #16
Dragle
Dragle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire orig + HD8.9, Kindle PW
The Merriam-Webster app tracks the words you look up and bases ads on them. /*rolls eyes */

I am now using "The Free Dictionary" by Farlex, which I like much better. It has an offline mode (downloads the dictionary to your device).
Dragle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:28 AM   #17
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragle View Post
The Merriam-Webster app tracks the words you look up and bases ads on them. /*rolls eyes */

I am now using "The Free Dictionary" by Farlex, which I like much better. It has an offline mode (downloads the dictionary to your device).
You know, while I'm not opposed to the idea of targeted ad-ware--I'll let the sponsors pay for the stuff rather than me, and if I'm going to see ads, they might as well be relevant ads-- I doubt the words I look up in a dictionary would give any sort clue as to ads I'd want to see. For example, if I look up a word from a book I'm reading, it's likely because I have NO interest in the topic, and that's why I haven't seen the word before.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2012, 01:01 PM   #18
jswinden
Nameless Being

I've got the paid version of the Merriam-Webster dictionary so I'm not bothered by ads with it, but I find that the apps I've got with ads are just as annoying when the ads are totally random as when they are targeted. The only difference is that I don't care to be tracked. But let us be honest, on the internet you will be tracked like it or not. I look at items on eBay and Amazon, just to name a couple of sites, then pull up CNN.com, Facebook, or any number of other sites and I see ads based on the items I was looking at. It is going to happen whether in an app or surfing the internet in a browser via your desktop computer. It might be annoying, but it certainly is no reason to turn my nose up at a perfectly good app like the Merriam-Webster dictionary. I'm old school and very well educated, so I personally prefer dictionaries produced by scholarly people rather than freeware dictionaries with a questionable heritage.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:48 PM   #19
beej231
Addict
beej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Fire, K2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Open the Oxford American Dictionary which comes with the Kindle Fire. Tap in the center and then tap the magnifying glass at the bottom.

Type in the requested word using the virtual keyboard. All occurrances of that word appear IMMEDIATELY.

Tap on one of those occurrances. Then use a long tap on that word and the definition appears IMMEDIATELY.
I had noticed this before. That's a ridiculous process. The definition should appear immediately, not occurrences of the word in the dictionary. Can you imagine how many that would be in some instances. I'm sure there are alternative dictionaries that are not so-so-so convoluted.
beej231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:43 AM   #20
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Convoluted - yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by beej231 View Post
I had noticed this before. That's a ridiculous process. The definition should appear immediately, not occurrences of the word in the dictionary. Can you imagine how many that would be in some instances. I'm sure there are alternative dictionaries that are not so-so-so convoluted.
That is convoluted but the alternatives are even worse since they either require access to WiFi or have huge databases.

I'm still looking for a Bible Dictionary which works as fast and simple as the Tecarta Bibles.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert