Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-20-2009, 02:45 PM   #106
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
If you back up your .mbp files as well as the .azw files, you will have your annotations.
Ah, but according to some, this is illegal, and can earn you many years of hard labor in the secret Amazon prison.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 04:56 PM   #107
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
I'm glad I don't have a Kindle - this full DRM is nothing for me.

I see E-Books more like paperback books. I buy them and then I own them. This license crap is a scam.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2009, 02:00 AM   #108
krischik
Addict
krischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheese

Device: P990i, PRS 505
Cool My Position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Please define "pro-Amazon members" and what you would define yourself as.
Someone who defends the actions of there favourite company at all cost.

As for me: Amazon was once my preferred book supplier. They have been my Hero.

That has changed Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:25 pm.

What happened?

I was idling the Mobipocket forum because my subscription was late. After venting a little steam I was thinking to myself lets have a look if the Mobipocket Reader will work on Symbian Series 60 Edition 5 devices. I wanted to buy a Nokia N97.

And what I found out was disturbing. Far more disturbing then a subscription which was late - again. And at the bottom of it all where Amazon corporate overlords.

The result of it all? The posting linked above, a check on Swiss DRM-law, a Google on "Mobipocket xxxxxx DRM", stripping DRM off all my Mobipocket books and Amazon is now my least preferred supplier. And for the subscription I moved to beam-ebooks (DRM free ePUB released each Thursday at 0:02).

And what happened with the Orwell books is just reinforcing my opinion that Amazon turned evil. So yes I am on the other side of the scale an anti-fanboy of sorts.

Martin

Last edited by krischik; 07-21-2009 at 02:07 AM.
krischik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 01:16 AM   #109
Andurian
You really should try it!
Andurian doesn't litterAndurian doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporadic View Post
Except most of the torrents on The Pirate Bay are on The Pirate Bay's own tracker. If they were solely a search engine, you would have a point (but they aren't and you don't)
Ooh, got me there. Or, rather, you would have if you knew what a tracker does. A tracker is merely a pointer to content, it contains and distributes no content itself. What else is primarily a pointer to content? Hint: Rhymes with "oogle."
Andurian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 05:42 AM   #110
ghostwheel
Zealot
ghostwheel has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DBoox Max,Galaxy note 10.1 & 3,LE1700 tablet,sony PRS-500,iRex DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andurian View Post
Hint: Rhymes with "oogle."
Kugel?

ghostwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2009, 07:07 AM   #111
Sporadic
Banned
Sporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with others

Device: Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andurian View Post
Ooh, got me there. Or, rather, you would have if you knew what a tracker does. A tracker is merely a pointer to content, it contains and distributes no content itself. What else is primarily a pointer to content? Hint: Rhymes with "oogle."
I know what a tracker does. What you are saying would make sense if the tracker could disappear and the torrent could still go.

Here's a random torrent from The Pirate Bay

1 person (not even a seeder) is using DHT
85 people are connected thanks to The Pirate Bay's tracker.

If the tracker ate shit, that torrent would be gone. Same with 85% of the torrents on The Pirate Bay.

If The Pirate Bay decided not to host the .TORRENT files on their servers along with closing the tracker (basically becoming what you are trying to pawn them off as), everything that is on The Pirate Bay that isn't going through a third-party torrent site/tracker would be dead.
Sporadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:05 AM   #112
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostwheel View Post
Kugel?

Flugel? (horn)
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:44 AM   #113
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Bezo's appologizes for removing the Orwell books.

"Our 'solution' to the problem was stupid, thoughtless, and painfully out of line with our principles," Bezos wrote.

Article
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:50 AM   #114
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If I am an author and someone uploads unauthorized copies of my book to Amazon it now looks like Amazon will let customers keep copies of my stolen work.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:30 PM   #115
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
If I am an author and someone uploads unauthorized copies of my book to Amazon it now looks like Amazon will let customers keep copies of my stolen work.
Actually, it looks like you'll have to go through the established legal procedures, to be made whole. Just like everyone else.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:25 PM   #116
Daithi
Publishers are evil!

Exactly what is the "established legal procedures"?

I suppose it would be to subpoena Amazon for a list of customers with my stolen property; since a book can't be unread I would need to send each customer a bill for the full list price ($24.95 or so) of my book; if the bill is not paid I would need to have charges filed against the non-payors for receipt of stolen property; since the stolen property has crossed state lines (from Amazon to the customer) the appropriate law inforcement agency would either be Federal Marshals or the FBI; of course possession of stolen property across state lines is a felony.

Yeah, I could live with that. You know DesertGrandma isn't paying my $25 bill and I want her behind bars!!! (Just kidd'n DG.)

In truth (and in retrospect), I really don't have a problem with Amazon letting customers keep the ebook, but I do hope Amazon is not only refunding customers but also compensating the true publisher and author of the stolen work that they sold.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:11 PM   #117
ebs
Zealot
ebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Exactly what is the "established legal procedures"?

I suppose it would be to subpoena Amazon for a list of customers with my stolen property; since a book can't be unread I would need to send each customer a bill for the full list price ($24.95 or so) of my book; if the bill is not paid I would need to have charges filed against the non-payors for receipt of stolen property; since the stolen property has crossed state lines (from Amazon to the customer) the appropriate law inforcement agency would either be Federal Marshals or the FBI; of course possession of stolen property across state lines is a felony.

Yeah, I could live with that. You know DesertGrandma isn't paying my $25 bill and I want her behind bars!!! (Just kidd'n DG.)

In truth (and in retrospect), I really don't have a problem with Amazon letting customers keep the ebook, but I do hope Amazon is not only refunding customers but also compensating the true publisher and author of the stolen work that they sold.
As I mentioned before, this case has nothing to do with stolen property or transport of stolen goods under US law, no matter how many times you say it. It's called copyright infiringement, please read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dowling...d_States_(1985)
ebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 05:32 PM   #118
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
That's what they're trying to avoid by refunding & removing books. They're trying to hide their liability for selling books they had no right to sell, or at least convince publishers that since they "fixed" the problem, there's no reason to sue Amazon.

And the apology is a very interesting way to say "no harm intended; please don't sue us for our blatant hacking and theft of what should be your property unless/until ruled otherwise by a court of law."
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:15 PM   #119
Sonist
Apeist

Quote:
Yep. Under that "established legal procedure," that's how it works.

And more likely, Amazon may not have to refund its customers, but will have to pay the copyright holder (unless a court orders otherwise, based on the specifics of the case, and if it gets to court.)

And "stolen" implies that someone stole the manuscript itself, but I am sure this is not what you mean.

And in reality, we are talking about a bit more than $25, so I am not sure where you are going with that....
Old 08-22-2011, 10:02 PM   #120
DaveParker
DaveParker began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Bezo's appologizes for removing the Orwell books.

"Our 'solution' to the problem was stupid, thoughtless, and painfully out of line with our principles," Bezos wrote.

Article
Nah, they did what they felt they needed to do. Knowledge is power. Amazon knew how to remove the book from Kindle and they did. The only rights anyone has is determined by the knowledge they have. That's the only law of right. The act itself will always please some and annoy others. No matter what the decision. Bezos is clever. First he acts to please the copyright holders, then he apologizes to please the Kindle users. He plays both sides, using his knowledge to win. Everyone should do the same. Use your knowledge to keep the books on your machine, then apologize to the dissenters if anyone complains to you.
DaveParker is offline   Reply With Quote