Notices

Old 03-12-2008, 04:21 PM   #1
bwit
Huh?
bwit doesn't litterbwit doesn't litterbwit doesn't litter

Device: Amazon Kindle
Amazon adds British Independent newspaper for Kindle

Product Description
Nicknamed the Indie and Sindie (for the Sunday edition), The Independent is one of Britain's newest compact publications for the left of center, founded by three former journalists of The Daily Telegraph. Often controversial, it is also often parodied for its not so subtle political leanings. Boasting a readership of over a quarter of a million, The Independent asks, "It is. Are you?"
bwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 05:57 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I wonder how popular this will be on a device only sold in the US?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2008, 07:30 AM   #3
jacksonunit
Sand Bender
jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle1/iPhone/iPad/Droid/KindleDX/Kindle 3G/Kindle Touch/Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I wonder how popular this will be on a device only sold in the US?
I know I personally could not care less. Hell, most people in the UK don't even care about the "Indie".

I wish Amazon would get some more US papers. I live in San Antonio, Texas... the United States' ninth or tenth largest city. You'd think they would cater to their revinue stream. What's next, the "Daily Abu Dabi"?
jacksonunit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:57 AM   #4
melmurray
Enthusiast
melmurray began at the beginning.

I don't know jacksonunit. Maybe it would do Americans good to occassionally listen to what the rest of the world is saying.
melmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 08:58 AM   #5
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Dunno, there are a lot of Brit ex-pats in the DC area. Maybe if they have a Kindle....
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2008, 10:24 AM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonunit View Post
I wish Amazon would get some more US papers. I live in San Antonio, Texas... the United States' ninth or tenth largest city.
I assume Amazon has tried to get more papers, but at present newspapers with non-local readership are probably more interested in the Kindle. It would be interesting to know how many Seattle Times (say, as a representative regional newspaper) Kindle subscriptions there are and how many outside the Seattle area.

In the case of the Independent, this is a low-risk way to attract a few US readers but the real payoff will come when the Kindle is released in Britain. I am actually surprised that more UK newspapers are not signing up - but perhaps they have well established internet-based alternatives.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 10:33 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
In the case of the Independent, this is a low-risk way to attract a few US readers but the real payoff will come when the Kindle is released in Britain. I am actually surprised that more UK newspapers are not signing up - but perhaps they have well established internet-based alternatives.
The newspaper industry in the UK is completely different to that of the US, in that all the major British papers are "national" rather than being associated with one particular town or city. They all have extremely well-established web-sites.

We have "local" papers but they report purely local news; nobody reads them to find out what's going on in the world, and in fact these days many local papers are free.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 01:16 PM   #8
jacksonunit
Sand Bender
jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle1/iPhone/iPad/Droid/KindleDX/Kindle 3G/Kindle Touch/Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmurray View Post
I don't know jacksonunit. Maybe it would do Americans good to occassionally listen to what the rest of the world is saying.
What? "We hate America!", "George Bush Sucks", "American's are fat and lazystupid dum dum heads..."

Yeah, I've heard all that already.

jacksonunit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 01:21 PM   #9
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
The Economist is British. And I would do a lot if I could read it on my e-book reader. ;(
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 01:37 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can read it on your SONY Reader thanks to libprs500.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:06 PM   #11
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have an Economist subscription, but how would I get it on my Reader?
Old 03-13-2008, 02:10 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Just click the "fetch news" button and then "The economist". Note that the version libprs500 fetches at the moment contains only summaries of articles, that's because I dont have a subscription to the economist so I can't develop the code for it. If you're willing to send me your login credentials, I can easily improve it to fetch the full articles. IT wil then ask you for your username and password every time you try to fetch the articles.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:12 PM   #13
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

I'll look it up tomorrow at work (which is where I get it from) and PM you.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:41 PM   #14
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonunit View Post
What? "We hate America!", "George Bush Sucks", "American's are fat and lazystupid dum dum heads..."
Yeah, I've heard all that already.
"All Americans are culturally insensitive morons"
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 04:43 PM   #15
bwit
Huh?
bwit doesn't litterbwit doesn't litterbwit doesn't litter

Device: Amazon Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbot View Post
"All Americans are culturally insensitive morons"
Well of course! But it is nice to be able to confirm this in print from time to time. :-)
bwit is offline   Reply With Quote