Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 03-16-2012, 10:08 PM   #1
GJSmith
Connoisseur
GJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it is

Device: Kobo Vox
Sleep of Death

As mentioned by Tony this sleep of death issue still exists for many of us.
I am curious to know if there are any Kobo employees here anymore and if so can they speak to why this issue has not been fixed.
Does it appear un-fixable to them.
This is the only update I am waiting for and will not risk.... and I mean RISK an update unless it addresses this issue.
In my mind such an update should be a stand alone update.
Here's hoping
GJSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:51 AM   #2
suedenim
Connoisseur
suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I want SOD fixed too. Its the one major annoyance for me, worked perfectly (no SOD) when I first bought the device and then after the first update - BAM! Says software problem to me - get on it Kobo
suedenim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2012, 02:09 PM   #3
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
I think it was the second update that screwed my system.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:27 PM   #4
GJSmith
Connoisseur
GJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it is

For me it worked fine for almost 2 months then the battery ran out one day while in sleep and that was it. SOD no matter what wifi settings.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:36 PM   #5
wilbrich
Connoisseur
wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo (original), Sony Tablet, Sony PRS505
Yeah, let me add my voice to this as well. SOD is my big pain. Can't remember exactly when but I think it followed the first update.
wilbrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2012, 04:17 PM   #6
msxman
Enthusiast
msxman began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox, kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbrich View Post
Yeah, let me add my voice to this as well. SOD is my big pain. Can't remember exactly when but I think it followed the first update.
yep, same here
msxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:37 PM   #7
oldgeezer
oldgeezer began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
SOD - very annoying

Two major annoyance - SOD and unable to use Google Play. SOD though is really, really annoying.
oldgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:11 PM   #8
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgeezer View Post
Two major annoyance - SOD and unable to use Google Play. SOD though is really, really annoying.
I believe I read somewhere here that an upcoming update will include a Google Play app.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:56 AM   #9
ZX81
ZX81 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo vox
Recovered from SOD

I've had the SOD since December, and its meant that I just don't use the Vox. Like everyone else, I got around it by keeping the wireless on all the time, but I travel a lot and I couldn't use it on planes (wireless on) or in the quiet carriage of trains (irritating start-up sound, particularly without root after the last update).

So, I decided that it was either a doorstop or I'd dismantle the vox and put in a new SDcard with the image file provided from this forum https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=168606

As reported by others, this worked fine and the new image didn't have the SOD problem. However, it upgraded to Canadian specs. Out of interest, I put the old card back in, rebooted and now it still runs without the SOD problem! Long battery life (several days in standby, so I don't need the charger), no long start-up times or sound when I'm on the move (I also rooted it by adding su and Superuser.apk while the card was out, and deleted the startup sound).

So, it seems that the SOD isn't a matter of a problem with the software on the card. Maybe there's some sort of onboard memory as well which gets cleared in the process of changing the sdcard? Either by disconnecting the battery or actually changing the card? The obvious one to try first is just to disconnect the battery on a vox which has the SOD problem (which mine doesn't ) for 5 minutes, reconnect (the date and time reset to 1970) and see if the SOD persists. This is an easy job (no screws) and, on mine, didn't result in a factory reset and all the software I'd previously installed was still there and usable.

Anybody want to try it and let me know?
ZX81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:02 AM   #10
GJSmith
Connoisseur

I will try it and post the result.
I have never understood the intricacies posted regarding SOD. Things like wifi on, airport mode, what have you. It is plain and simple with mine. In any state the Vox is in if I let it go to sleep when it wakes it freezes.
I use mine all the time just never let it sleep. When I am finished reading I turn it off simple as that.
Would be nice if the fix is ...... simple as that LOL.

Oh my god it was as easy as that!!! see new thread SOD fixed

Last edited by GJSmith; 07-18-2012 at 01:17 PM. Reason: updating
Old 07-18-2012, 07:52 AM   #11
peterhondak
Zealot
peterhondak is on a distinguished road

Device: KoboMini (mine and MIL) KoboVox(returned), sonytouch(mom's),samsung7"
I figured something out for my SOD, it doesn't work all the time ie if I'm in a hurry.

I downloaded an app called "county" it keeps count for you, it was designed for knitters/crochetters, but could be used for other things I'm sure

Its designed in a way that the VOX (or whatever its on) never goes to "sleep". You just have to open the app though, so if I'm putting Vox down to save my kids from hurting eachother I don't get the chance.
peterhondak is offline   Reply With Quote